• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ESXi 5.1: Attaching disk with existing data

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
2FA
Joined
Oct 29, 2000
Messages
42,406
Hey all,

I have an external eSATA disk which contains existing data, that I need to be connected to a guest on my ESXi server.

Is there a way to have the guest access the drive directly, or do I have to create a virtual disk image on the drive and transfer the data to it?

I see the options in the add disk menu, but I don't want to experiment too much for fear of wiping the disk. (yes, I have backups, but getting them would be a pain)

Appreciate any imput.
 
As far as I know, you can pass any device directly. Does not need to be SAN storage. RDM is an RDM
 
Not true. RDMs require remote storage - can't do it with local. eSATA - depends on how it shows up, but I'd bet money on "local" so it won't work easily. You could pass through the port though :)
 
Back
Top