ESXI 5.0 - Pass-through issues

BigBot

n00b
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
5
First time exploring with esxi and the machine and esxi both see my IT flashed IBM M1015 and a dual intel NIC. I want to pass these to a VM (WHS).

In VM Sphere Client, I select the Host, go to Configuration tab, Advanced Settings and I see both the M1015 and the Intel Card but I can't select it and it states

"This device is passthrough capable but not running in passthrough mode"

I have a AS Rock Extreme4 970 MoBo with AMD FX 8350 chip. I have IOMMU and AMD-V (via virtualization section) enabled.

Any thoughts?
 
have you tried adjusting settings while the VM is off?

Yes, I even tried this on a fresh install of ESXI, before creating a VM (on the host level).

On Host -> Configuration Tab -> Advanced Settings -> I get this message:
"no devices currently enabled for passthrough"

I then click EDIT, and I see all my devices, the box on each device is greyed out, and when the device is highlighted I get this message:

"This device is passthrough capable but not running in passthrough mode"

It will not let me check the box to allow the device to be passed from the host

ETA: Someone suggested to me creating a VM using all the available RAM then going through the motions again and see if that helps. I will try that when I get home, but wanted to get more ideas/suggestions I can try. I can also try upgrading the BIOS firmware and see if that helps.
 
Last edited:
You did reboot the host after setting the card for passthru, right? I'd make sure your BIOS is latest after that.
 
Last edited:
Have a look at this thread. i have a supermicro sas card and used their guide to get it running. Works perfectly now. Using 5.1 passingthrough to Win server 2012. Bingo!
 
Back
Top