ESPN Streaming Service Will Launch This Spring

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
ESPN has unveiled more details about it's streaming service in Disney's earnings call yesterday. The service will be called ESPN Plus, and will cost $4.99 a month when it launches this spring. ESPN Plus will be built in to ESPN's mobile app, which will be redesigned for the new service. The app will have three sections: Scores and News, live streaming via cable authentication, and ESPN Plus, confirming that ESPN Plus will not provide live streaming of ESPN's main channels.

Without offering live streaming of their main content, I can't see how this will be a success for ESPN. If I can't watch "The Ocho" on the go, I'm not subscribing.

Iger said the service will provide “an incremental thousands of hours of live sports programming” as well as new and existing original programming, including the entire 30 for 30 series.

Doesn't cover ESPN/ESPN 2. This is basically EPSN3/4/8 streaming. Have to have a cable/sat dish bundle before you qualify for this.

There's no reason to buy this.

It won't be worth a dime if they do not vastly improve the streaming client. Presently, I find it unwatchable. I watch Lakers games; Spectrum SportsNet works well but when a game is on ESPN exclusively, games there often have problems like video freezing which require leaving the stream and coming back in. Oh, and forget about watching anything popular like NCAA championships in football or basketball. Video quality varies a lot and often goes very grainy. If the game is close, then the stream invariably drops and I can't ever get it to re-join.

ESPN streaming is a steaming pile of crap not worth my time let alone my money. Hope they re-design it from the ground up and vastly improve the streaming bandwidth.

So they want me to pay $4.99 to watch streamed TV broadcasts of their radio shows and the WNBA? Sounds like a winner to me!! /s

I'd almost take the $60 and buy one AAA EA game a year if I wanted to torture myself.

Wow, must have been a true jock that thought this was a good idea. ;)

Why do people watch ESPN, again? Other than college sports, they carry nothing interesting.

And as for their original content, the last time I watched anything they made on purpose was Cheap Seats. There are so many competing networks/streamers out there with so many boring sports commentary shows, it boggles the mind that they all have viewers.

So they want me to pay $4.99 to watch streamed TV broadcasts of their radio shows and the WNBA? Sounds like a winner to me!! /s

I'd almost take the $60 and buy one AAA EA game a year if I wanted to torture myself.

Now that I think about it, they dont really have all that much. It is mostly college sports which can be alright sometimes and then women's sports which are not good- probably equivalent to high school sports since pro women's national teams routinely lose to young teenage boys teams in practice matches.

Not to mention thier lefty sjw bullshit.

Come on now. Putting the wonder team of Michael Smith and Jemele Hill on that new edgy SC6 with the mix of sports and culture (code word for black athlete lifestyles) was a stroke of genius.

The good news is that I can still catch Jemele Hill racebait on ESPN3 with their "Undefeated" shows by paying $5 a month for this service.

So for $4.99 a month...
You get politics people are tired of seeing mixed into sports from all sides
Women's professional sports(yeah those WNBA players can kick my ass at basketball all day, doesn't make it interesting to watch)
College sports(which they don't even air that much of)
Crappy sportscasters
Still need to have a cable TV subscription
Probably still have commercials
Doesn't even get you content from ESPN or ESPN2

With as many drawbacks as this service has, you would think they're offering to pay people $5 a month to use it.

Wow you can't even get the regular ESPN channel. Who is the target audience for this? What a joke.

I just don't get how somebody could just sit and watch somebody do an activity they could be doing themselves. What a waste of time.

Also if they ESPN 8 the ocho there better be some damn dodgeball.

espn1/2 are nothing but reruns anyway, nothing to cry over. I wouldn't pay for it even with them.

I've had all ESPN channels locked on my cable box since it was installed as I don't ever watch them. I call and write the cable company at least twice a year asking them to allow a la carte selections or at least allow me to edit my own program guide so as to eliminate all but the 32 channels my family watches. I don't need 8 religious, 60+ foreign language(most requiring up charge), 120+ replicated (non-HD<->HD), 20+ sports and 50+ "regular" channels no one in the house will ever watch cluttering up our ability to get to what to we like and want to watch.

So, zero interest in a service I could get for free through my cable subscription and THEIR streaming service to access this content.

If it wasn't for tier bundling with the providers, ESPN would be out of business!

Back