• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

eSATA questions

plunger

Gawd
Joined
Jul 22, 2011
Messages
730
Would this work if I wanted to connect a bare HD without having to buy an enclosure.
eSATA to SATA cable + SATA power cable.

These 2 cables cost about $8 vs $25+ for an eSATA or USB 3.0 enclosure.

esata.jpg
 
Yes it will work.

Looks like that's a 4 pin molex power to sata power converter, which means you'll be using this INSIDE the case where as the port is on the OUTSIDE of the case? So why not just use an internal SATA port instead?
 
Yes, that works. I run my eSata cable through a water cooling hose hole on the back of my case back inside the case =)
 
Yes it will work.

Looks like that's a 4 pin molex power to sata power converter, which means you'll be using this INSIDE the case where as the port is on the OUTSIDE of the case? So why not just use an internal SATA port instead?

It'll be outside of the case. The HD needs power and I was planning on running the power cable through a PCI slot.
 
Also how safe is it if you pull the power cable out of the HDD or connect it back in while the power is still on?
 
I don't know how safe it would be, but people do this with hot swapping bays all the time.
 
Also how safe is it if you pull the power cable out of the HDD or connect it back in while the power is still on?

Physically safe but you're asking for data loss unless you follow the proper procedures in your OS to "stop" the volume(s) on the drive. Do that and you're fine... though I wonder why you don't just spend the $15-25 on an enclosure/cradle.
 
I have (2) USB 2.0 enclosures already. I wanted to move up to eSATA and didn't want to buy another enclosure because it looks like I could just use 2 cables and save around $20.

This summer I already spent way too much on electronics. 1 gaming rig, 1 home server, $620 adobe software, etc. More money saved, means more blood chips from China I can buy :)
 
Back
Top