ES CPUs?

I have a couple Dell Poweredge R710s running 2x ES hex core x5675 each. They work fine.

Depends on the chip really. I have purchased a few off of Ebay some years back and never had an issue.

Had one in a previous socket 2011 build (cant recall what it was, but it was 10 cores). Besides virtual machines not working and sleep wasn't working either, the chip worked flawlessly and was 100% stable.

Had one in a previous socket 2011 build (cant recall what it was, but it was 10 cores). Besides virtual machines not working and sleep wasn't working either, the chip worked flawlessly and was 100% stable.

VMs not working is a huge deal to many out there purchasing ES chips to get server functionality at a low price. Hope that's not a common issue with Engineering Samples, since I was thinking of getting a couple for a friend :-/

You cant guarantee you own an ES CPU as samples were prohibited from being sold and Intel have not sold them.
There is less point getting one unless its pretty cheap because there are no benefits, but there may be downsides that the previous owner didnt encounter or hasnt mentioned.

Lots of ES chips have various issues - a quick google search will list any problems. VM issues are very common on E5 v1 cpu's.

Having said that I use some for folding 24/7 and they run OK, no difference to a retail chip apart from the price. This thread and the list in post 1 will give you core counts etc for E5 v1/v2 and v3 ES chips - nothing about VM's though

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1755445

There could be nothing wrong or a lot.

It's dependent upon that exact chip and your motherboard, and your bios.

NO ONE can tell you how "your" ES chip is compared to theirs.

And,. FWIW I've run VMs on V1, V2, V3 ES fine, but some chips also don't work at all and are bricks, others are different clocks (drastically), others miss HT, others miss Turbo, etc...

I'd say it depends on whether it's early or late engineering sample. The further ago to the official launch date an ES CPU came out, the more likely it might not work right. If you look at the CPU review sites, they are usually provided with late ES CPUs.

Last edited:
Back