Epic games?

Pivo504

2[H]4U
Just finished resident evil 4 and it's honestly the only game I've finished playing since far cry 3. I loved re 1 and 2 was my fav. With all the hype about 4 being the greatest it was a let down. Still not sure what the hype was all about. But anyways I'm really looking for an epic game to play since I'm back to playing games again.

He literally just said he didn't like RE4 :)

We do need a genre though.

No specific genre. Just a game that when you play it it's just awesome..there are so few games that have done this for me. Its not that I didn't like re4 just that I didn't feel it's the greatest re nor was it one of the best games ever like so many hyped it out to be..

Get a PS3 or PS4 and play any game from Naughty Dog, most notably the Uncharted games and The Last of Us. They are a life experience everyone should have. :p

Have you played the first Dead Space? I thought that was very engrossing and fun, I even did another playthrough of it. I'm working on Dead Space 2 now, not nearly as good in my opinion. RE2 was also my favorite in the series.

Last edited:
^^ Yeah the original Dead Space was definitely awesome. I thought DS2 was good too, just more action oriented. DS3 jumped the shark RE5+ style and went full retard action :(.

So many to choose from.

I second the vote about The Evil Within(In relation to a horror game like RE). There were some pretty awesome boss fights in that game.

Alien Isolation is another I recommend.

Well it is a 10 year old game. I loved it for its time. I would place it up there with RE2 and Code Veronica as far as the RE series goes.

Dead Space took the formula and improved on it. Maybe try that one.

I thought this thread was about the developer, Epic Games :eek:

you need to play some older games for your 'epic' fix- Morrowind, System Shock 2...a more recent title which I loved was the original Bioshock

Try fallout 3 or new vegas with a bunch of mods. Both are awesome!

The Bioshock trilogy is fairly fun too.

I loved the mgs series but the first one was only one I could get into...I've held back on 5 bc I wasn't sure if it was similar to the first one with all the cool bosses etc.
Also I heard someone is remaking re2 in unreal engine plus capcom doing a remake as well. I got dead space also but never played it..Got so many games that I haven't touched which is why I'm wondering what is best to start with!

Deus Ex Human Revolution
Mass Effect 1/2/3
Tomb Raider 2013
Sleeping Dogs
Crysis 2/3 <- Not as good as the first, but still solid shooters
Watch Dogs
Far Cry 4

Some of the games I enjoyed over the past few years.

The Last of Us is pretty epic. About to do a 3rd play through on new game plus mode on whatever the hardest difficulty is.

Haven't played Witcher 3 or Dragon Age Inquisition yet , those are on the list

Right now finishing Fallout 4 and then going to finally get into Skyrim, with some mods this time. Definitely an epic game in some aspects.

What are top 3 games of the past few years?
So where should I start out of what I have lol: arkham city, max Payne 3, far cry 4, blood Dragon, Dragon age: origins, heart of the swarm, deus ex inv war, dead space...

The Witcher 3 - if you enjoy open world fantasy rpgs. It didn't just get voted the GOTY for nothing.

GTA V - if you haven't played it yet and want a more modern open world style game.

Soma if you want a good sci-fi game with a very good storyline and unique setting with a few scares in it (it plays similar to the Amnesia).

That OP is so confusing. For starters, not about Epic Games, the famed maker of Unreal and Gears of War, but whatever the OP considers epic.

Second, says he played through all of Resident Evil 4 and that he hated it. Why play the entire game?? At first I thought it was a type-o and he meant 2 different RE games, but who knows. I personally rarely play over an hour of a game I hate, much less the entire game - I often only play about 10-20 minutes of a game before deciding to give up on it and uninstall. RE 4 & 5 both fall into this category actually, I own both and think I played less than 20 minutes of each of them.

But yeah, it's amazing finding a good game and getting hooked on it.

There are tons of "epic" games out there to choose from these days - so many modern games finding a perfect balance of narrative, really fun gameplay, and of course lots of really pretty graphics in modern games. If there's any on this list you haven't played yet, try them ASAP! So many awesome ones to choose from.
  • The Witcher. All of them. I recommend starting with 1, 'cause it's a great game but hard to go back to after you get spoiled with the awesome graphics of 2 & 3.
  • Skyrim, and previous Elder Scrolls. You've probably played these, but just in case - hard to get more "epic" than Skyrim.
  • GTA V - wow, I'm in the middle of this one now, such a great game, and just miles and miles better than GTA4
  • Saints Row 3 & 4
  • Far Cry 3 & 4
  • Assassin's Creed Black Flag/Unity/Syndicate - love black flag, looking forward to playing the other newer ones
  • Bioshock Infinite (& BS 1/2 if you haven't played them)
  • Tomb Raider Reboot
  • Dishonored
  • Deus Ex Human Revolution
  • Just Cause 2 & 3
  • Dead Rising 2 & 3
  • Mass Effect 1/2/3
  • Wolfenstein The New Order
  • Batman Arkham---
  • Max Payne 3
Wow, this list is starting to get long. So many great games out there in the last few years.

Epic? You want epic?! There is only one game that is truly epic... Gothic III. You need epic flowing through your veins to even play the game!

How are you defining "epic"?

Most of these games in this thread aren't what I would consider "epic". They are good games, but not epic.

Witcher 3 - epic
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - epic
GTA5 - Awesome... but not epic
Batman games - great, not epic
The Elder Scrolls III - epic

A lot of subjectivity, but you can't go wrong with Morrowind or The Witcher 3. Both objectively epic games.

So where should I start out of what I have lol: arkham city, max Payne 3, far cry 4, blood Dragon, Dragon age: origins, heart of the swarm, deus ex inv war, dead space...

I would start with the worst one and make your way up, discarding as you go if you feel they aren't epic enough. If I were you:

1. deus ex inv war
2. heart of the swarm
3. arkham city
4. Dragon age: origins
5. max Payne 3
6. blood Dragon
7. dead space

This is just what I do, so that I feel I'm playing something better than before. Another way to do it is by release date, so you feel the graphics are getting better with each game, but I get the feeling you don't care as much about that.

Good point Youn. Or maybe start with the game that looks the worst lo which is prob deus ex...And by epic maybe I should have worded it differently. What I meant is just awesome. When your playing it your like this game is just amazing...I really havent gotten that from any game in ages....prob since the old n64 zelda, super metroid, Supreme Commander, 1st Starcraft, Total ANnhilation, Tribes, 1st Far Cry, 1st Call of Duty and 2nd,

Correction: Metal Gear Solid 1, 3, and 5.

2 and 4 were rubbish and useless.

2 was great, 4 was entertaining but felt at times like watching a movie vs a game with all of its cutscenes galore.

2 was great, 4 was entertaining but felt at times like watching a movie vs a game with all of its cutscenes galore.

The problem I had with MGS4's cutscenes was that they weren't really that entertaining. They were basically like an NPR talkshow, only talking about problems and technology that doesn't exist, or simply cannot be real. It was also extremely self-indulgent, taking itself WAY too seriously when it felt like the story was simply made up as it went along.

#2 was simply too short and had an extremely back-asswards storyline.

So is MGS 5 more like the first one? I really liked all the boss fights and stealth & just overall the story was great from beg to end in the first MGS for PS1. Oh I forgot another gem: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night...

That OP is so confusing. .

Second, says he played through all of Resident Evil 4 and that he hated it. Why play the entire game?? At first I thought it was a type-o and he meant 2 different RE games, but who knows. I personally rarely play over an hour of a game I hate, much less the entire game - I often only play about 10-20 minutes of a game before deciding to give up on it and uninstall. RE 4 & 5 both fall into this category actually, I own both and think I played less than 20 minutes of each of them.
Sometimes being disappointed, comes from an overwhelming level of anticipation before actually playing a game the first time through and realizing early on that it isn't what you expected/hoped for.

Many different variables to consider before putting a game down after 20 or so minutes, when beforehand you couldn't wait to play it.

The OP obviously liked the previous games, so why would he put down the controller after 20 minutes or so when he adored the first three games that took dozens of hours to complete already?

As well, a game can suck in the beginning and can expand its potential later on, maybe this is what he was doing. Hoping for it to get better.

Also, how many times have we watched a movie that we didn't care for, yet watched it till the end? I have, numerous times, same concept with most games.

I don't know how many times I tried new games, stopped playing because I didn't like the beginning, the controls or whatever it was and then found something about the game that I didn't know about or saw something interesting I haven't seen before in that specific game (Youtube videos, friends, etc) and enjoyed it later on.

I think if a game takes essentially dozens of hours to complete it, putting the controller down after just 20 minutes to an hour is just quitting way too early. At least get your moneys worth for what you paid for it.

As well, with in 5 seconds you can see he wasn't talking about the Dev at all.

Last edited:
Any of the following would work: Skyrim, MGSV, The Witcher 3, or Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. Depends on what type of game you like to play.

^^ Yeah the original Dead Space was definitely awesome. I thought DS2 was good too, just more action oriented. DS3 jumped the shark RE5+ style and went full retard action :(.

It's fun to co-op through with a friend.

Adventures of the Mighty Boot Bros: Stomp Harder

The creepy is out the window pretty fast though when you and your homie are big dicking your way through hallways in a hail of acid laced gunfire and stasis grenades. Enjoy watching yourself slowly bisect as your friend calls you an idiot because you clipped a corner with your grenade launcher for the 4th time and your chunks spend the next 10 seconds wafting around the room in slow motion.

Also it's the perfect game for you if you like cutscenes of your character falling off shit or getting flung off something. It's even better when 5 seconds later your partner comes awkwardly face planting right next to you.

The whole game is seamless co-op, start to finish and it's a surprisingly long romp. Scary game like it's predecessors, it's not, but it's great for a play through with a bud.

Back