EP45-UD3R Stuck on Post

Timm

Limp Gawd
Hey Guys,

So I flashed the bios on my board to F12 the other day and now on boot my computer gets stuck on the Post Screen. (Screen where it says push Delete to go into the BIOS)

To fix this I have to hit the switch on my PSU wait until my external drive no longer glows and then flip it back on. Everything boots up normally from there.

So does anyone know what might cause this? Or where I could find out what is going wrong?

Thanks
Timm

Remove the CMOS battery and put the reset jumper on and let it sit an hour. After replacing the battery and removing the jumper and rebooting go directly into the bios and "load factory defaults" and reboot. Then make your settings changes. Give that a try. What is happening to you is often the case if the bios is flashed at other than default settings. It is a good habit to not flash with any settings changed, load factory defaults then flash usually prevents this weirdness from happening.

Also gigabytes are a little flaky with USB storage devices connected on boot. Loose the external drive during the procedure above and after you determine the boot issue is gone with the external drive disconnected, hook it back up and see what happens. You might have to play with the "Detect legacy USB storage devices" bios option or whatever they are calling it now on P45 boards. Be sure to check the boot order menu as well and make sure the external drive is low on the priority list or disabled.

Just some random thoughts. Its one or the other causing the problem. The last thing it could be is the new bios has messed up the handling of external drives. It is unlikely but has happened before and you would need to revert to the older bios and wait for a corrected one to be released. If after the bios reset and you are sure the settings are correct, a conversation with Gigabyte tech support would be a good thing to ensure they are aware of the issue.

Thank you so much for the input! I am going to have to try those out.
I now have another problem that I'm going to look at a little more but thought I would get some initial input from some mobo experts ;)
I don't know a lot about motherboards, but the only thing that I have changed recently (other than reinstalling windows) is the bios flash. Now when I have firefox running and then run Media Player Classic, WoW, or (sometimes) Windows Media Player with it my computer crashes... Just freezes up and I can't do anything. Could this possibly be related to the bios flash?

Thanks!
Timm

EDIT: Okay I just realized a connection between everything I said was causing the problem. WoW, my movies, and my music are all located on a different drive than my Windows/Program drive. I don't know if that helps or not but figured it was worth telling :)

Last edited:
unlikely it is directly releated to the bios flash. Could just be some weird software conflict and I agree that the drive thing is a clue but if you can access that drive in windows just fine I dont understand what the problem would be.

Just off hand, if the problem did not happen with the older bios I would consider flashing back to the older one to see if the issues went away. Many times the changes updates in a newer bios do little or nothing for a machine that is working fine on an older bios. Just depends what as changed. So unless F12 has some feature/fix that you where really needing I would not hesitate to back it out and wait for F13 as it sounds like F12 just hates your configuration for some odd reason that could take hours and hours of investigation to figure out.

Back