• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Enough Power for video card?

MarineCorps

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 20, 2007
Messages
166
I just bought a GTX 260. When I plug the Video card in and hook it up nothing appears on my screen, The moniter says no signal. I plugged my old video card in and everything is fine. I'm not sure if it's the PSU not being able to provide enough power.

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
ASUS M3A78-EM
4x2GB DDR2 1066
EVGA GTX 260 OC Edition
500GB Barracuda
Antec NEOHE 550
Sidewinder X8 and X6

Should that that 550 be able to power my 260?
 
It should be able to.

Then again, how old is it? And are you sure you plugged in the PCI-E power cables?
 
That PSU is most certainly good enough. If you have access to another system with a PCI-E slot, I suggest that you try the card there and see if it will work.
 
Plugged it into another machine and it worked fine. I suspect at this point it's my motherboard
 
I don't want this to sound insulting....
Do the two video cards use different inputs on your monitor (svga vs dvi?) and if so is your monitor checking the input used by the 260?
Are you using a video cable adaptor on the non-working system?
 
I don't want this to sound insulting....
Do the two video cards use different inputs on your monitor (svga vs dvi?) and if so is your monitor checking the input used by the 260?
Are you using a video cable adaptor on the non-working system?

No. Both cards are useing DVI. I was useing an adapter on the working system however
 
I was under the impression all modern monitors used automatic switching, but if you're using an adapter then you're using VGA through DVI. The middle 9 pins of the DVI spec carry an identical signal to the one put out by a VGA outlet. Toggle the input on the monitor manually...

but I doubt thats the problem.

What does the fan on the card do when you power up? Is it spinning up?

On your power supply, on the barcode is there a little "A4" sticker?
 
I was under the impression all modern monitors used automatic switching, but if you're using an adapter then you're using VGA through DVI. The middle 9 pins of the DVI spec carry an identical signal to the one put out by a VGA outlet. Toggle the input on the monitor manually...

but I doubt thats the problem.

What does the fan on the card do when you power up? Is it spinning up?

Yes it spins. Which the other card also does when it doesn't want to display anything.
 
Back
Top