Encryption software.

lodingi

2[H]4U
Is system encryption software being used by my fellow [H]? If so, what are you all using? Thanks.

GELI if you need speeds of excess of 200MB/s. Most encryption is single-threaded. GELI is multi-threaded (with multiple I/O).

I'm going to use TrueCrypt. How are you guys/gals using the program. Are you encrypting complete hard drives, partial, normal or hidden. Please offer a brief description why. Thanks again.

I am using dm-crypt with LUKS on arch linux for my file server(filesystem is btrfs with compression enabled, and btw i am very happy with it). Every single disk is encrypted, save for a minimal boot/root partition on a usb stick.

I use TrueCrypt with full disk encryption (no hidden drive) for my Windows drive and all my non-OS drives. I saved the non-OS encrypted drives as system favorites so that they are auto-mounted during pre-boot authentication (new to the latest version; before you had to login to Windows for it to auto-mount non-OS drives).

This setup is as seamless as I could possibly want - I just have to type in one password at bootup.

I use TrueCrypt only to encrypt a single file/drive and store important information in there like passwords document, etc. I also have my Firefox profile on that drive (so Firefox won't launch until I mount it as a favorite). That way I can surf without worrying about storing passwords.

I use TrueCrypt with full disk encryption (no hidden drive) for my Windows drive and all my non-OS drives. I saved the non-OS encrypted drives as system favorites so that they are auto-mounted during pre-boot authentication (new to the latest version; before you had to login to Windows for it to auto-mount non-OS drives)
Question for you: Do you use any disk imaging software, like Acronis or the like? How does it work with a fully encrypted drive? I've been meaning to test that, but I haven't got around to it.

I don't use disk imaging software except for one time where I decrypted the drive prior to imaging. I've resized partitions; however I always decrypted them first.

I use truecrypt with a few large file containers for all my personal data. I should probably go a little crazier with it and encrypt the whole RAID but it would be a PITA in its current state. I use it with the AES-Twofish combo algorithm as it offers the best compromise between performance and speed on my setup (~200MB/sec read/write on a quad core).

I just use Truecrypt to encrypt part of my microSD/flash drives in case I wanna store anything semi-sensitive on them and I happen to lose 'em. Never really bothered with it on my desktop, or my netbook (though I probably should there).

Anyone know if truecrypt supports the new AES instructions on the i3s?

No truecrypt is very reliable. Its actually the software that is included in many usb sticks to provide encryption.

No truecrypt is very reliable. Its actually the software that is included in many usb sticks to provide encryption.

Thank you. Last question; which encryption do I use? I apologize for my noobness.

Last edited:
GELI is multi-threaded (with multiple I/O).

So is Truecrypt (version 6.0 onward).

I'm going to use TrueCrypt. How are you guys/gals using the program. Are you encrypting complete hard drives, partial, normal or hidden. Please offer a brief description why. Thanks again.

I have my laptop drive fully encrypted and I use an encrypted container for confidential data on my main PC. The encrypted container file can be easily moved around to external hard drives or my server for backup.

TrueCrypt won't wipe my data, will it?

No. The full disk encryption feature will encrypt your data on the fly without erasing the drive/partition.

Thank you. Last question; which encryption do I use? I apologize for my noobness.

Use the defaults.

AES is fine. No vulnerabilities have been discovered and it's used by the government for classified data. Various combinations of AES + Twofish + Serpent are offered to provide protection in case a weakness is discovered in one algorithm in the future, but using multiple algorithims will decrease performance.

Back