• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

encoding MP3. Where do I start ?

RedShred

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Apr 6, 2001
Messages
2,760
www.ubernet.org
http://www.smartaudioconverter.com/?id=sacgg
http://www.sofotex.com/download/MP3_Software/
sony sound forge

I'm considering the sony sound forge...

I've done some, not much, research into this. I'm not necessarily trying to find a free version, and am willing to buy what I need, but I need software that will let me turn my CD's into MP3, WMA into MP3, and edit MP3. I have a pile of MP3 already that has some bad stuff about them that I would like to fix as well... some have different volumes, bad lables etc.

I dont want to get involved in a complex step by step process, or deal with a program that is just going bloat up the MP3. Small is good with what I want it for. I dont need it spelled out, but if somebody is willing to push me into the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.
 
Foobar2000 would do the ripping/conversions nicely. For editing, I use either CoolEdit Pro (now Adobe Audition) or Nero's Wave Editor (which comes with Nero's suite). Since Nero comes with so many useful utilities, and also has the best developed MP4/AAC support, I consider it a Must Have Product.
 
i use winamp pro for all my ripping, and sound forge for my editing. both work really well
 
compslckr said:
i use winamp pro for all my ripping, and sound forge for my editing. both work really well


I have version of Roxio that I rip with... So Sound forge would probably be a decent start adn go from there?
 
Seriously, forget about every other suggestion in this thread. There is only one way to rip MP3s properly.

Everyone who cares about sound quality but still wants small MP3s uses a combination of EAC and LAME.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ <--- best ripper by far.

EAC has error correction no other rippers have.

Then use LAME to encode, you can download lame from like 5million places, just google it. EAC has plenty of LAME presets.

There ya go. Do it once, do it right.
 
It puzzles me to see people still using CDex when EAC is around. EAC just outclasses it in every possible category.

And don't use MP3. Use Ogg Vorbis or go a step up to FLAC or APE.
 
dandragonrage said:
And don't use MP3. Use Ogg Vorbis or go a step up to FLAC or APE.


The stereo's in my all of my vehicles use MP3... thanks for the advice, but I want MP3. ;)
 
Follow the ubernet standard. Rip using EAC and encode with lame using the alt-preset-standard or better switch. There are no better sounding MP3's.
 
LOL, there is like 8 different responses with 8 different directions.


Thanks y'all.
 
If it's worth anything, I only rip with EAC - secure ripping is where it's at.

I then typically encode to FLAC (lossless) which later allows me to encode into other formats like MP3 (with Lame -alt-preset ( standard | extreme ). I have media players capable of playing Vorbis, but I stopped encoding to Vorbis a couple years ago.

I don't have any links though - I used to read a tutorial on setting up EAC on ChrisMyden.com
 
ahhhh, CDex. i remember using that. then years later i used winamp to encode and it was like 30 times faster (guesstimate/exageration).
or you could just put your wav files in a zip and say they are FLAC files
 
Why not just use iTunes? iTunes can import your CD into MP3 formats and attach ID3 information for it as well using CDDB for it's source.
 
gizo said:
Why not just use iTunes? iTunes can import your CD into MP3 formats and attach ID3 information for it as well using CDDB for it's source.

certain self proclaimed audiophiles like to use a standalone program to extract the album as a WAV, and then compress it using another standalone prog. Less efficient, more time consuming, bigger files, gains unnoticeable to the untrained ear, but supposedly it's better.

I use EAC & LAME @ 192... i used to use WMP @ 192, but the 10% file size increase was worth it. I can really tell the difference in classical music and jazz... nothing else though. I won't even try that FLAC crap or whatever... my car needs .mp3's.
 
Can I ask why a mod deleted my erlier post supporting ubernet?

Anyways, I reccomend following the guide on ubernet, its what I did and Im very happy with the 400 digitally encoded cds on my computer.

EDIT: Heh, nevermind I see this was a double post and I replied to the other one :)
 
dandragonrage said:
A 10% increase when going from 192Kbps to 192Kbps? Er, no.

WMP vs. EAC w/ LAME... Er, yes. It's not exactly 10%, and varies song to song. WMP was variable bit rate too. EAC is constant.
 
Back
Top