Employers Asking for Facebook Passwords On Applications?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Thankfully my employer already knows about all the idiotic stuff I do so handing over my username / password is no big deal. :D

You don't have to be a security expert to realize that asking for such information is out of the ordinary. Depending on how much detail and private information you choose to post on Facebook, Google+, or MySpace, relinquishing your password would allow your would-be employer to investigate every area of your life. Aside from status updates that may be secured for only friends to view, logging in to your account provides access to private messages, chat logs, and any number of other potentially damaging tidbits.

Privacy rights, so go fuck yourself random employer.
/thread

Article title: Could employers begin asking for Facebook passwords on applications?

Answer: Yes

Will anyone actually give out their FB password?

No

mw-630-reddit-sportztawk-job-application.jpg

Obviously if a company wants to know information like that they aren't worth working for. It's not hard to realize that ...

Now what the hell does what you post on your facebook, have anything to do with how you perform your job duties?

This is out of control, no way in hell this is OK with the government.

I hate corporate america, they want your blood. You are expected to work more than you have time off, spend with family, etc.

This is just dumb.

You just say no and then keep your information private. Problem solved. Lots of places ask for my email and phone number. I give out fake ones.

These types of employers are mentally retarded, and so are people who are willing to work for them.

WTF.... How can that even be legal? If its publicly posted on facebook, fine, but if its a private message or something like that... thats almost like asking for your email account and password.

This was an application for a clerical position at a police department in North Carolina, not a corporation. And seriously, how much f***ing background checking do you need to do for a clerical position?

Reminds me of my (now ex) girlfriend a while back; she was looking for work, had a good job but the company went under. She interviewed at Macys for a basic floor job, $10/hour only for the holidays. She had even worked at Macy's out of high school and had since held management positions in other retail jobs...they had her do a phone interview and 3 in person interviews. For a temp, low pay, sales position in retail. It's ridiculous with unemployment so high how much employers are taking advantage of it in obscene ways.

I thought that the Ts and Cs of things like Facebook, Google+, Twatter, etc all say you are not allowed to share your password? So is this a test to see if you are happy to break rules? And corrupt the confidence of your online friends?

I dont have any accounts on sites like that, the closest I have is Linkedin, and thats barely got anything on it, since I never log in, and only lists where I've worked in the past.

I would put down [email protected] - noluck

No workplace would ever get my log in information for anything, including their own systems. If they dont have access to it, they dont need access to it, or they would already have that information.

I also love how long time ago when I was 15 years ago I got an exemption to work at 15 state age was 16 to work but can't work after 8p.m I was closing for blockbuster until 1a.m lol it is what it is work/ jobs and office can treat you this way because there are a lot of people that need jobs out there

You just say no and then keep your information private. Problem solved. Lots of places ask for my email and phone number. I give out fake ones.

That is not good enough. The fact they think they have the right to that info just says so much about the POS they are. Laws must be made to put these scumbags in their place.

One more reason I will never join any of those sites. This site is as social as I get.
Those employers can take a flying leap. :eek:

What this story really illustrates is that the USA is quickly becoming a non freedom loving country and most of you are doing jack shit to stop it. Sad.

Hell we don't even drug test our employees. What they do on their own time is fine by me as long as it does not interfere with their work.

"we don't even drug test our employees"

Which is complete hypocrisy anyway because they never test for alcohol abuse and yet alcohol is a very damaging *drug*. Society is run by morons.

Jesus christ people. Talk about kneejerk reactions. There are reasons why they ask for that info. As far as security, your company is as strong as its weakest link. So even if its a dumb-blonde clerical position, I can see situations where that request is needed.

There are companies that need to make sure you aren't going to negatively impact them. Do you guys read some of the stupid facebook fails that [H] posts on the frontpage? You can see why, now, right? The basic idea is that stupid people ruined it for the rest of us.

Would I ever work at a place that require my FB info? Nope. Would I hold it against the company? Nope. All this sensationalistic, chicken little, thinking about them being scumbags and robbing america of its freedom is hilarious.

No workplace would ever get my log in information for anything, including their own systems. If they dont have access to it, they dont need access to it, or they would already have that information.

Nothing new if you apply to law enforcement or certain government positions.

Exactly what I was thinking guys...

"we don't even drug test our employees"

Which is complete hypocrisy anyway because they never test for alcohol abuse and yet alcohol is a very damaging *drug*. Society is run by morons.

Which is another reason we don't bother with drug testing.

Nothing new if you apply to law enforcement or certain government positions.

Or any corporation that deals with law enforcement or most government entities. Or the finance/banking/health industires (and others).

Not to mention if your using FB, G+, or myspace you already gave up your privacy anyway...:rolleyes:

Asking for info is not illegal. Giving this info is completely idiotic.

Anyway, you can lie, and say you don't have an account to some social media site, or give them the login/pw to a fake fb site.. espousing the virtues of the company you are applying for, just to get the job.. in case they do log onto your fake acct.

Whoever wrote up the app is completely delusional or actually wants idiots to apply. If you hire someone stupid enough to give you such info, do you really want them to work for you?

My reaction exactly.

I think I'll do this one better, I'm going to open up a company and require applicants to provide me with a copy of their atm cards and their pin #'s. :D
already been done, just come work for the federal government :p

I meant to edit and didnt relize i clicked quote and now i cant fix either of them so in case anyone is curious to my mess up there lol

I had an employer try to get us to write down our domain workstation passwords once.

I explained to him that he didn't need them, as he could reset them at any time.
Then I told him that it really is not in his interest to have everybody's password.
Finally I said I would quit rather than have my password written down.

Too bad he gave up on the policy, that place was a junkshow and I could've used an excuse to quit.

One more reason I will never join any of those sites. This site is as social as I get.
Those employers can take a flying leap. :eek:

I use FB as a friends and relative content aggregation service. It's great for that. I like being able to say "well, mom, if you were on Facebook you would have seen these awesome pics of your demonic grandpunks two weeks ago..." then I run and hide.

And employer who asks stuff like this needs to be puched in the face. I'd love to know which ones do this. Chances are it's law enforcement and other thug state actors.

Jesus christ people. Talk about kneejerk reactions. There are reasons why they ask for that info. As far as security, your company is as strong as its weakest link. So even if its a dumb-blonde clerical position, I can see situations where that request is needed.

There are companies that need to make sure you aren't going to negatively impact them. Do you guys read some of the stupid facebook fails that [H] posts on the frontpage? You can see why, now, right? The basic idea is that stupid people ruined it for the rest of us.

Would I ever work at a place that require my FB info? Nope. Would I hold it against the company? Nope. All this sensationalistic, chicken little, thinking about them being scumbags and robbing america of its freedom is hilarious.

Awesome fail post. You can't control humans - yet - no matter what you do. The applicant can lie and still negatively impact the company. The applicant can tell the truth and still negatively impact the company. There are no guarantees with people hired. The best a company can do is to lock down their resources and to follow strict corporate wide policies. Asking for personal accounts is bullshit. They best they could ask is to make employees a friend of the company profile. Asking for personal accounts is not far off from let me go ahead and search your car or house.

Awesome fail post. You can't control humans - yet - no matter what you do. The applicant can lie and still negatively impact the company. The applicant can tell the truth and still negatively impact the company. There are no guarantees with people hired. The best a company can do is to lock down their resources and to follow strict corporate wide policies. Asking for personal accounts is bullshit. They best they could ask is to make employees a friend of the company profile. Asking for personal accounts is not far off from let me go ahead and search your car or house.

Agreed 100%. I can see, at the most, having them require your FB account to be set to private/friends only. But once it is, I can't see them making any requirements that you disclose your private communications.

Let me add, outside of some type of national security/intelligence position, where they may disallow social networking altogether.

Let me add, outside of some type of national security/intelligence position, where they may disallow social networking altogether.

And, even so, there really still is no way to know unless employees are monitored 24/7. Think espionage - course you can die for that. :eek:

This is another reason not to be part of those social network sites. I can imagine putting I don't have a social website account and being asked why not? My response to that would be I like to keep my personal life private.

Back