Elon Musk Apologizes For Tesla Workers Paid $5 An Hour

I'm torn on this.

I obviously want people to make a living wage, but when. i graduated in 2003, (which was just yesterday, btw) the typical starting wage for someone with an engineering degree was $50k, which translates to about $24/hr.

Heck, I'm 13 years in to my career and am now a Principal Engineer in the medical device field, which is supposedly pretty lucrative, and I don't make anywhere near that figure.

It seems crazy to me that non-degreed work can pay so much more than that...

I'm torn on this.

I obviously want people to make a living wage, but when. i graduated in 2003, (which was just yesterday, btw) the typical starting wage for someone with an engineering degree was $50k, which translates to about $24/hr.

Heck, I'm 13 years in to my career and am now a Principal Engineer in the medical device field, which is supposedly pretty lucrative, and I don't make anywhere near that figure.

It seems crazy to me that non-degreed work can pay so much more than that...
Most engineers straight out of college know next to nothing about the construction field and are usually field taught by the guys out there. Not all engineers are worth 50k+ (some are worth about $15/hour if that).

Yes, but it's also crazy the difference in pay for the same work in different areas of the country. I mean really, it's a twelve hour drive from Tucson to San Jose and the wage jump from $15 bucks and hour to over $50 and I bet those benefits are state mandated as well and the guy in Tucson isn't getting those either.

Most engineers straight out of college know next to nothing about the construction field and are usually field taught by the guys out there. Not all engineers are worth 50k+ (some are worth about $15/hour if that).

He isn't that kind of engineer and the wage he is talking about isn't the same either.

Back