Elite Boards Sale 12/12-12/31 $89 Leopold Tenkeyless Reds

I didn't want a tenkeyless either, but now that I have one I could never go back to a fullsize keyboard. It's so much more comfortable with the mouse that much closer.

hmmm, mouse closer to the keyboard is something I didn't take into account when weighing my options. Are the keys still a normal size?

just wanted to point out anyone buying a white leopold. don't be fooled by the photos. they are most definitely NOT white keyboards like in the photos. they are a beige or grey colour.

Are the keys still a normal size?
Yup.

I have a full size Leopold which I really like. Picked it up mainly because it was $10 cheaper than the tenkeyless version, also not a big fan of typing in numbers using anything but the numpad (calulator, accounting homework etc). Great deal on that red though, keep in mind shipping adds like another $10 or so.

Yup.

I have a full size Leopold which I really like. Picked it up mainly because it was $10 cheaper than the tenkeyless version, also not a big fan of typing in numbers using anything but the numpad (calulator, accounting homework etc). Great deal on that red though, keep in mind shipping adds like another $10 or so.

Yep, so not such a bad deal, but the big thing I don't like is the return policy. It's a 15% 'restocking fee' if you open the thing. They state they don't sell used products, so why is there a 'restocking' fee?

Quote from elitekeyboards.com:

- What is your return policy?
The return policy for many products is stated at the bottom of the product page. For most keyboards we do not accept returns for a refund; due to sanitary reasons we can/will not resell a used keyboard so please make your purchase with consideration for this policy. All other products that have no stated return policy can be returned for a full refund if unopened and unused; opened or used products will only be refunded the price minus a 15% restocking fee.

Wow, very tempting to get that Leopold with red switches. I've been wanting to try out reds for a while now...

Can anyone explain to me why exactly would anyone purchase this? Seriously.. it's a keyboard. I realize there are some things that count i.e quality of mousepad, mouse, sound/headphones... but an 89$ keyboard... or even 200+? that's crazy!

Can anyone explain to me why exactly would anyone purchase this? Seriously.. it's a keyboard. I realize there are some things that count i.e quality of mousepad, mouse, sound/headphones... but an 89$ keyboard... or even 200+? that's crazy!

If it's a quality mechanical keyboard it's a pretty decent price...I've never used a mechanical keyboard but from what I've heard, they're loud but also very nice at the same time. I've yet to hear anyone want to switch back from a mechanical keyboard even with the noise issues considered.

Great prices, especially on the 87Us.

The keyboard gives you the ability to interact with your PC right? If your keyboard is subpar, your interaction with the PC will be subpar.
The keyboard is my favorite component of the PC. I like the quality of my PC to be felt through my fingers. The same goes for mice, monitors and audio.
Your senses and experience are enhanced when you use better input and output devices.

Doesn't matter how uber you PC is if your keyboard, mouse, monitor and audio are low grade. All of that awesome is being wasted.

Last edited:
I still don't see how a 200$ keyboard can give you a lesser experience. Vs, my current keyboard.
Current keyboard is a logitech ultra thin illuminated, but previously was the lycosa from razer. Both cost me around $40 each.

I just don't see the justification on spending 160+ more on something.

But of course that's the consumer's choice, and if it's what he/she wants to buy, that's their prerogative.

I still don't see how a 200$ keyboard can give you a lesser experience. Vs, my current keyboard.
Current keyboard is a logitech ultra thin illuminated, but previously was the lycosa from razer. Both cost me around $40 each.

But of course that's the consumer's choice, and if it's what he/she wants to buy, that's their prerogative.

I don't see how my Logitech G15 rubber dome gives a lesser experience than my Steelseries 6gv2 Mx Cherry Blacks, but the mechanical keyboard kicks the rubber dome's ass anyday for gaming and moderate typing. Neither was probably a justifiable purchase @ $100+, but the end result with the mechanical keyboard is just too satisfying. ;)

Use a mechanical board yourself for a few weeks, then go back to rubber domes.
I can recommend a few cheap boards you can try around $60. The same goes for IPS monitors, use one for a few weeks and try to go back to a TN panel. You can't. Same effect.

You don't see the difference because you have not experienced the difference. When I switched over to mechanical I didn't feel the change drastically, but when I go somewhere and have to use a dome keyboard I can totally feel how sloppy and slow they feel. To me your argument is kind of like saying you drove in a car with square tires all your life and then round tires came back into popularity but you rejected round tires because they cost twice as much as your old square tires. Of course if you don't switch you would never realize the benefit of a smoother ride, because you were happy with your square tires since it was all you knew.

Its like everything....seriously, my 8800GTS will play Skyrim, why should you pay $500 for a 'top of the line' card? The experience...its why PC peeps do everything.

Mechanical switches last longer than their rubber dome counterparts. When your keys are worn out, it forces you to press harder on the keys, which obviously puts more stress on your fingers.

Reds are a great switch. I'm very tempted.

I recently consolidated all my keyboards (only have a poker red now) so it's quite hard to resist this.

how does this compare to the ducky tenkeyless version (although they don't have reds), but theirs are going for 80 dollars and they have black/ blue, and brown switches. I was just wondering what the comparison of the build quality was

also this topre switch thing looks very TEMPTING hahaha, anyone have a comparison of how different of it is compared to cherry switches, brown / blue

If it's a quality mechanical keyboard it's a pretty decent price...I've never used a mechanical keyboard but from what I've heard, they're loud but also very nice at the same time. I've yet to hear anyone want to switch back from a mechanical keyboard even with the noise issues considered.

You can't truly understand until you've tried it for yourself. Not only do they outlast their membrane counterparts, but they feel better in every way. If you type for any reason then you do yourself a disservice buy not going mechanical. Key presses are far more consistent and satisfying. They tend to actuate more cleanly and the feel is just hard to describe.

The Realforce boards are very tempting.

Not for me. I can't understand the whole idea behind "taking what's good about membrane keyboards and membrane keyboards and combining that." Membrane keyboards are cheap as hell and more or less impervious to liquid damage. These are two features the Topre Realforce keyboards do not share with them. The rubber domes can't last as long as a purely mechanical switch would and retain the same feel. I also can't imagine it would change the feel for the better.

I don't get it.

I agree. Whoever said not having the 10 key is nice, obviously doesn't use a ten key, but having worked in retail for years, I am lightning fast with it and only use the top numbers for with shift key strokes.

I would look elsewhere for a quality keyboard. These look like they have a bunch of stupid gimmicks. Like colored WASD keys with little arrows on them? Real gamers have NO problem locating the WASD keys, ever. It's the other random keys that need lighting in the dark sometimes.

also this topre switch thing looks very TEMPTING hahaha, anyone have a comparison of how different of it is compared to cherry switches, brown / blue
From what it seems, they are more comparable to dome membranes. They sound like really really really good domes

Not for me. I can't understand the whole idea behind "taking what's good about membrane keyboards and membrane keyboards and combining that." Membrane keyboards are cheap as hell and more or less impervious to liquid damage. These are two features the Topre Realforce keyboards do not share with them. The rubber domes can't last as long as a purely mechanical switch would and retain the same feel. I also can't imagine it would change the feel for the better.

I don't get it.

Torpes are pretty durable. But Cherry MX Reds with O-rings can give the same effect as the Torpes for much cheaper.
Soft key strokes with a thud when the key bottoms out. The TKL in this sale is a good buy, just buy the o-rings from WASD.

Reds 45g is slightly lighter than the Torpe 55g, ther are Torpe 45g's also.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, there is a segment, a very small smidgen of the population out there that will spend a very large amount of money "regardless" if it makes sense to themselves, the company selling the product or the general population. A $200 keyboard fits into this category. So do those $1,000 hdmi cables, $20,000 audiophile headphones etc etc. I could name crap all day long.

Now, $100? Sure, all day long. So, the question goes like this. "Why spend $100 on a keyboard?" especially since my $20 Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 does the same thing. Ok, you're right, it does perform the basic input tasks.

The reason why people buy these more expensive "mechanical based keyboards" is mostly because of the quality / workmanship that has to go into the product. There is also the audio / touch feedback you get from using a mechanical based keyboard as well. When you pair all the benefits together, the experience of using and owning such a keyboard far out-weights it's cost. Again, $100 .. sure, $200 .. hell no.

There are some really nice mechanical keyboards out there in the $50 - $60 dollar range that won't break the bank that will give you the same experience as a $100 keyboard.

I use the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate and love it. It's a $100 - $120 product.

Use a mechanical board yourself for a few weeks, then go back to rubber domes.
I can recommend a few cheap boards you can try around $60. The same goes for IPS monitors, use one for a few weeks and try to go back to a TN panel. You can't. Same effect.

Yep. When I had to go back to my lycosa after using my rosewill mx blues for months it was almost torture.

Back