Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

I'm having a hell of time getting back into this game. I was glued to it when it was released, but now I can't even force myself to play it.

Didn't finish the main quest, Mage's College, Dark Brotherhood, or Thieves guild, yet somehow I still feel burnt out. Then, I keep reading about FONV in this thread, and that just makes me want to go play that game again.

Play something else. Fallouts will work otherwise I can recommend Amalur if you want to play something that's completely different but you can still get somewhat immersed in.

Has anyone tried using Steam Mover with Skyrim? I tried moving it to my SSD after a reformat and suddenly the game wouldn't work. Nothing else was changed other than moving it using Steam Mover. Never had this problem before with a game.

Has anyone tried using Steam Mover with Skyrim? I tried moving it to my SSD after a reformat and suddenly the game wouldn't work. Nothing else was changed other than moving it using Steam Mover. Never had this problem before with a game.
Works fine for me, mods and all.

Actually, I think I figured out that it might be the FXAA injector I was using. Is there a newer version required for the 1.4 patch? The weird thing is that even after I removed it the game still wouldn't work. I literally had to delete all game files and redownload the entire thing through Steam to get it working again.

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out. Some files didn't get copied properly or something. Seems to work now.

Last edited:
That Thriller one is pretty damn cool. Wondering how long it took to come up with the moves.
Didnt much care for the action figure ones above, kind of lame.

I'm continuely amazed by this game. My first run through, I beat it in about 80 hours. Just started my second play through, and I am constantly running into things I did not see the first time. Trying to pace my self this time and soak up everything I can, which is much easier with the HD textures and a few other mods. Makes my 1.5GB GTX 580 chug occasionally which I'm guessing is a frame buffer issue since I typically get 60+ FPS everywhere, can't wait for those GTX 680s..

I'm continuely amazed by this game. My first run through, I beat it in about 80 hours. Just started my second play through, and I am constantly running into things I did not see the first time. Trying to pace my self this time and soak up everything I can, which is much easier with the HD textures and a few other mods. Makes my 1.5GB GTX 580 chug occasionally which I'm guessing is a frame buffer issue since I typically get 60+ FPS everywhere, can't wait for those GTX 680s..
I'm at 80 hours played and have done a ton of exploring and individual quests, but feel like I've barely progressed in the main or faction quests. I think I'll start trying to focus on them, but damn if it isn't easy to get sidetracked. I went to Falkreath to continue the Dark Brotherhood quest line and got side-tracked into doing 3 other quests involving two Daedric lords and a deposed Jarl. Good lord this game is great. :D

I am in a similar boat. First play through is around 85 hours and have done the main quest and almost all the Guide quests. Sneaky backstab/bow character strictly.
Started another character to try some things out and went strictly magic use, no weapons. Decided to go into a cave and found some Vampires and decided to let him hit me a few times so I could catch the Vampire virus and it is like a completely different game. It is a lot of fun playing a Vampire.

That sounds kind of fun actually.. I never though of actually playing as a vampire but I bet it is pretty cool.

Edit: My FPS went up with latest drivers, but something must've been wrong in my config when I re-installed to remove 3d vision stuff, and reset everything my fps didn't go up as much as I reported. Maybe just a few FPS. o well.

Last edited:
The latest skyboost made a huge difference for me...I thought it was incorporated into the last patch, but the difference was night and day for me.

I upgraded my drivers + downloaded the latest patch and my FPS skyrocketed. Would skyboost make much of a difference?

So, Skyboost works fine with the patch and Bethesda HD pack?

I don't use the Bethesda HD pack, I just kept my mod textures. Didn't seem worth the hassle of potentially jacking up my game now that I had all my mods worked out, and the difference didn't seem very large. R5 does work fine with the patch at least, like I said a very noticeable difference - unfortunately I didn't do a FRAPS before/after.

Wow, the people that said Skyrim was CPU intensive were dead on.

Upgraded from an E8400 to a 2500k and fps went from 25-35 fps (2xAA, and IIRC shadows @ medium) to 40-60fps with 8xAA and everything maxed. Same GPU in both systems. Impressive!

Can you guys help me out a bit with Skyrim issues that I'm having?

I launched it today for the first time in a while and it auto-detected settings (to Ultra) and when I was in the game it was running smooth (60 fps+). I decided to exit the game and check the settings to see what I could change and everything was maxed out. I decide to launch the game again and next thing I know I'm down to 28fps without changing anything. Is there any reason for this? Should I try deleting the .ini files and starting new?

Thanks in advance

^^ i'd look up some shadow settings and throw those into the ini, likely it's just the shadows being set to ultra that is your problem. That + max AA will murder fps.

Wow, the people that said Skyrim was CPU intensive were dead on.

Upgraded from an E8400 to a 2500k and fps went from 25-35 fps (2xAA, and IIRC shadows @ medium) to 40-60fps with 8xAA and everything maxed. Same GPU in both systems. Impressive!

Game was made for the 360

1.5 Beta Update now available featuring new kill cameras:

NEW FEATURES

•New cinematic kill cameras for projectile weapons and spells
•New kill moves and animations for melee weapons
•Shadows on grass available (PC)
•Smithing skill increases now factor in the created item’s value
•Improved visual transition when going underwater
•Improved distance LOD transition for snowy landscapes

http://www.bethblog.com/2012/03/15/new-features-highlight-1-5-update/

I have to wonder how well that's balanced, though. Can I still hit 100 by making 3,412 daggers, or will that take three times as many iron daggers now?

If the item's value acts as a bonus toward skill advancement, that's good. Otherwise, hitting 100 is going to become exceptionally difficult.

I have to wonder how well that's balanced, though. Can I still hit 100 by making 3,412 daggers, or will that take three times as many iron daggers now?

If the item's value acts as a bonus toward skill advancement, that's good. Otherwise, hitting 100 is going to become exceptionally difficult.

My guess is they nerfed it rather than buffed, but I haven't played Skyrim in awhile so I'll wait to hear what people have to say about the new patch. :cool:

No more making 1000 iron daggers. :p

I hope they didn't make it too grindy and crafting higher value items actually gives good experience, rather than just decreasing the experience gained by everything so that making a set of dragon armour now only counts as much as an iron dagger used to be. I found smithing a pretty useless skill until you actually got it close to 100, by the time you finally get enough pieces to craft a set of armour you're usually finding better armour on random corpses and have to grind to the next stage to be able to craft the next set of armour to keep one step ahead of the random loot and make the skill worth taking at all.

I actually think it'd be a lot better balanced if enchanting, smithing and alchemy were just directly linked to your level, rather than earning experience of their own accord. Either that or putting a level cap on crafting skills based on your level (say you can only level a crafting skill up to 2.5 times your character level, so you can't reach level 100 on crafting until your character themselves are level 40). Some people may cry foul and say that's simplifying the game or taking away freedom, I just don't see the logic in grinding crafting skills and knowing crafting a set of armour or enchanting something is pointless because you can just grind your way to the next threshold and craft something better.

I'd like to see each of the crafting removed from the perk-tree lineup. REPLACE them with other trees to help diversify combat. Then implement crafting like it was in WoW: a separate interface, and kinda side-thingy. You could then only allow one or two professions. Maybe even add another profession to the mix.

This way they wouldn't give experience and could easily be restricted based on your level. It'd also make it impossible to go all 3 professions and twink the living hell out of your gear.

Eventually the Iron Dagger (as with all Iron gear) would turn grey and would not give you benefit in leveling the profession, but new orange recipes would unlock and you level up.

No more making 1000 iron daggers. :p

I hope they didn't make it too grindy and crafting higher value items actually gives good experience, rather than just decreasing the experience gained by everything so that making a set of dragon armour now only counts as much as an iron dagger used to be. I found smithing a pretty useless skill until you actually got it close to 100, by the time you finally get enough pieces to craft a set of armour you're usually finding better armour on random corpses and have to grind to the next stage to be able to craft the next set of armour to keep one step ahead of the random loot and make the skill worth taking at all.

I actually think it'd be a lot better balanced if enchanting, smithing and alchemy were just directly linked to your level, rather than earning experience of their own accord. Either that or putting a level cap on crafting skills based on your level (say you can only level a crafting skill up to 2.5 times your character level, so you can't reach level 100 on crafting until your character themselves are level 40). Some people may cry foul and say that's simplifying the game or taking away freedom, I just don't see the logic in grinding crafting skills and knowing crafting a set of armour or enchanting something is pointless because you can just grind your way to the next threshold and craft something better.

Agreed. And it's funny, my experience was almost the opposite of yours in your first paragraph. I always found dropped loot to be vastly inferior to my crafted/enchanted stuff. Then again, I maxed Smithing (though not to 100 immediately, over a fair amount of time) and Enchanting (also slowly, and I'm not sure I ever maxed it out), so yeah there is a balance issue there. Also, frankly, once you get that high-level crafted equipment, the game on the whole becomes way too easy. When you can kill a dragon in like 4 hits then there is a problem, either with dragon balancing or skill level balancing (or, IMO, both).

Back