Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced for release on 11/11/11.

Is there even one visual mod, whether it's shaders, enb based, or some AA injector that's actually an unquestionable improvement without any drawbacks?

It seems like theres a hundred fxaa mods now. I can't tell them apart, especially namewise.
Quality takes time.
I'm guessing we won't see the really good stuff for at least a few more months...

Is there even one visual mod, whether it's shaders, enb based, or some AA injector that's actually an unquestionable improvement without any drawbacks?

It seems like theres a hundred fxaa mods now. I can't tell them apart, especially namewise.

It depends. The one feature of most of those mods which i want back is the sharpening. But that's about the only thing i've seen as an improvement, as it removes the blur to make things more crisp. However, if the mod overdoes the sharping, it's also no good.

Yeah, I think the mechanics of the game and the weak spell selection really make a Paladin build kind of tough. 95% of the time, you're probably just better off going 2-hander or sword and board and just forgetting about spells.

I really don't want to ruin the surprise of what the other levels of spells have to offer, so let me ask this way: In the restoration school are there any:
1. Buffs?
2. Heal over Time spells?
3. Bubbles/shields which do not require channeling?

I'm still going to try to make my righteous warrior, purging the land of Skyrim of all evil... but i'm thinking if there aren't any cooler moves in restoration, i'll have to pick up destruction for AT LEAST the aoe fire damage aura. What is a paladin without auras?

I agree that once you hit around Level 35 the game becomes almost too easy (except for a few high level enemies)...I'm at Level 40 now with the highest Ward shield for magic protection, high restoration and 100+ skill in one-handed blade with decapitation and critical hit perks...it's hard to find a challenging opponent now

I really don't want to ruin the surprise of what the other levels of spells have to offer, so let me ask this way: In the restoration school are there any:
1. Buffs? - nothing but
2. Heal over Time spells?
3. Bubbles/shields which do not require channeling?

I'm still going to try to make my righteous warrior, purging the land of Skyrim of all evil... but i'm thinking if there aren't any cooler moves in restoration, i'll have to pick up destruction for AT LEAST the aoe fire damage aura. What is a paladin without auras?

Buffs - Nothing really in the Restoration school. Illusion has about the only buffs that would be useful for a Paladin build.

Heal over Time and Shield spells - Nope, nothing that doesn't require constant channeling in Restoration. Alteration has some armor rating buff spells, but a Paladin build is going to be decked out in heavy armor, so you're going to hit the armor rating cap pretty easily anyway.

^^ thanks for the reply.

They really didn't get too creative with the spell types did they? Restoration should have an exorcism spell, bubbles, heal over times... destruction should have root spells, damage over times, etc.

I really should have made myself wait a few months before buying Skyrim. I hope i don't get burnt out before the gameplay is actually fun = /

Damnit Nehrim, you have raised the bar too damn high apparently.

Heh...My plan is to just keep playing until I get bored, forget about the game for 6 months, then start a new character when all the badass mods come out. :cool:

^^ thanks for the reply.

They really didn't get too creative with the spell types did they? Restoration should have an exorcism spell, bubbles, heal over times... destruction should have root spells, damage over times, etc.

I really should have made myself wait a few months before buying Skyrim. I hope i don't get burnt out before the gameplay is actually fun = /

Damnit Nehrim, you have raised the bar too damn high apparently.

Restoration does have some cool spells that affect Undead. And Illusion has some crowd control spells. I'd say Destruction definitely has the least inspired spell list.

But really, a lot of the coolest "magic" comes from your shouts. There's a ton of variation in the things shouts can do.

I haven't touched the secondary magic trees yet; Illusion/Alteration mostly, since it's all pretty basic stuff and all of the perks do things like "your bullshit spell is now more effective at bullshit" and "that same spell now works on level 30 enemies" repeat repeat repeat.

The only magic tree I found exciting was the Destruction tree, mostly because of the variety in the perks/spells from leveling it up.

Restoration is TOTALLY useless since you rarely have time to stop combat and pop a healing spell that takes 5+ seconds, when you can freeze the game and instantly fully heal yourself without wasting mana. Maybe that's just Master difficulty, though.
In the same sense, putting perks into the Light or Heavy armor trees is also a waste.

Illusion is mostly useless since raw combat is faster. Maybe Illusion is "fun" but it's less effective.

Restoration is TOTALLY useless since you rarely have time to stop combat and pop a healing spell that takes 5+ seconds, when you can freeze the game and instantly fully heal yourself without wasting mana. Maybe that's just Master difficulty, though.
In the same sense, putting perks into the Light or Heavy armor trees is also a waste.

I use Restoration all the time during combat...it's very useful...left hand restoration + right hand weapon...or dual resoration...plus there are different levels of healing...I have the 'Close Wounds' restoration spell which instantly restores almost your entire health

there are different levels of each magicka spells...the higher level ones are always best

I used "Fast Healing" the whole game. I just take off running and heal on the run when I start getting low on health. Cast it twice fast and it heals me almost completely at level 47.

I used "Fast Healing" the whole game. I just take off running and heal on the run when I start getting low on health. Cast it twice fast and it heals me almost completely at level 47.

'Fast Healing' is the second tier I believe...'Close Wounds' is the top healing restoration spell

Yep...Close Wounds is twice as good. I think it's only Expert level, though...is there a Master level one?

good question...'Close Wounds' pretty much heals me all the way but not fully (around 90%)...so there might be an even higher level healing spell

although I've used the perks to increase my Health a lot so maybe that plays a factor as well

I'm pretty sure it takes me like 3-4 Close Wounds to heal all the way...you guys must not be putting much into Health or Fortify Health enchantments... :p

Restoration is TOTALLY useless since you rarely have time to stop combat and pop a healing spell that takes 5+ seconds, when you can freeze the game and instantly fully heal yourself without wasting mana. Maybe that's just Master difficulty, though..

It's too bad they allow you to manipulate the inventory during combat. I know I can just choose not to do it, but it is so unrealistic that I can get in a fight, decide I'd be better served with my archery buff pants, put those on, fire a couple of arrows, realize the guy is closing in, swap the archery pants with some light armor boosting one, put on a new helmet to enhance one handed attacks, drink a health potion, poison my blade, hit the guy a few times, change out my equipped magic, cast a summon spell, dig around in my backpack for a magicka restore potion, drink that, put on my necromancer robes, read a scroll, cast the spell, and then loot the dead body while the second enemy is still in mid-swing.

It's too bad they allow you to manipulate the inventory during combat. I know I can just choose not to do it, but it is so unrealistic that I can get in a fight, decide I'd be better served with my archery buff pants, put those on, fire a couple of arrows, realize the guy is closing in, swap the archery pants with some light armor boosting one, put on a new helmet to enhance one handed attacks, drink a health potion, poison my blade, hit the guy a few times, change out my equipped magic, cast a summon spell, dig around in my backpack for a magicka restore potion, drink that, put on my necromancer robes, read a scroll, cast the spell, and then loot the dead body while the second enemy is still in mid-swing.

Navigating the menus that much will cause permanent genetic mutation. Not in the X Men sort of way.

Details, details

Couple of things:

1) Does anyone know where to buy Daedric arrows? I almost never find them naturally, and I think the fletcher in Solitude once sold me ONE SINGLE ARROW. I guess I could install one of those arrow crafting mods, but honestly I don't have a problem finding any other types. I have about 300 Ebony arrows, but if I use those it seems like I end up finding those rather than Daedric. But when I use Daedric, I hardly ever find any.

2) There is a Pickpocketing perk about 2 levels in that gives you +100 to carry weight. I've been thinking about going for that, but I'm not sure. I stopped using the Steed stone because I maxed out Heavy Armor and got the perk that makes it weigh nothing, so half of the use of the Steed thing is gone. I still find myself not being able to carry enough, though. Anyone with a Heavy Armor/One-Handed build end up getting that Pickpocketing perk? Just wondering if it's worth it, because I'd need to use 3 perks to get it, and the first two are fairly useless to me.

2) There is a Pickpocketing perk about 2 levels in that gives you +100 to carry weight. I've been thinking about going for that, but I'm not sure. I stopped using the Steed stone because I maxed out Heavy Armor and got the perk that makes it weigh nothing, so half of the use of the Steed thing is gone. I still find myself not being able to carry enough, though. Anyone with a Heavy Armor/One-Handed build end up getting that Pickpocketing perk? Just wondering if it's worth it, because I'd need to use 3 perks to get it, and the first two are fairly useless to me.

When I first saw that perk I really wanted it. However after I gave it some thought I basically decided it was worthless. Other than the gear that I normally carry, which I have no problem hanlding, I no longer pick up heavy items to sell since after I hit 100k gold (with house+horse) I could never really spend gold faster than I could make it from quests.

one thing which helped me in terms of carrying weight was I upgraded my Heavy Armor perk to 'Conditioning' where Heavy Armor weighs nothing and doesn't slow you down when worn...I also have a ring in my inventory which increases my carrying weight...but the main thing is I keep increasing my Stamina which automatically increases your carrying limit by 5 pounds each time

carry weight.... once you hit level 50 or so probably the only thing you will collect any more is potions, jewelry and ingredients and great weapons. Hell with everything else.

1) Does anyone know where to buy Daedric arrows? I almost never find them naturally, and I think the fletcher in Solitude once sold me ONE SINGLE ARROW.
Given the way damage is calculated for bows, I really wouldn't worry about the damage difference between ebony and Daedric arrows. Your bow is significantly more important in terms of determining how much damage you will deal per hit. Generally, I only used iron arrows with my Daedric bow and the amount of damage dealt was never an issue (over 200 per hit; over 600 with the 3x sneak bonus). Using Daedric arrows would have increased those figures by ~16 and ~48 respectively.

One trick to acquiring more Daedric arrows, though, is to equip your follower with one and attempt to collect any arrows they're able to stick into enemies, as they will always use the highest-quality arrow in their inventory and their arrow supplies will never deplete.

I agree. It's one of those things which have been in the previous Elder Scrolls games, like the boring melee combat. They wanted to keep it the same or something, and instead should have used this chance to update a weird or boring mechanic, but didn't. The lack of buttons on a controller is what really held this game back I think.

Destruction is supposed to ignore armor, isn't it?

I enchanted up some glass armor to play with and it doesn't seem like enemy ice spells do nearly enough damage, even though I do have 40% magic resist with the ring/necklace.

I'd go back to bathrobes but I don't like any in game and don't see any mods I really like that have matching boots, gloves and a detachable hood.

I can't wait for a mod which adds in the rest of the pieces of gear, with completely re-balanced stats so combined they are not more powerful than what you have now. I want bracers, legs, shoulders, belt etc so i can actually play with different stats on my gear, not just keep picking the one thing which they want on my chest and keeping it that way the whole game.

they said the reason they joined the armor was to have more flexibility with the 3d models. as a result you can have a much greater variety of gear

they said the reason they joined the armor was to have more flexibility with the 3d models. as a result you can have a much greater variety of gear

that is what they said isn't it?

Maybe that's what they intended, but they sure didn't put in enough gear for it to be true.

Maybe that's what they intended, but they sure didn't put in enough gear for it to be true.

How long until you buy just game game engine then buy/rent the content?

And with Skyrim's UI it'd be

"You want to fire an arrow but dont have the Fire Arrows DLC.. please add 30 credits to your account to download this update. Hold A and press M1 to proceed or wiggle your digital controller and press Y to decline.

Greater variety by way of reduced variety, essentially. It makes sense only in the mind of Pete Hines.

Greater variety by way of reduced variety, essentially. It makes sense only in the mind of Pete Hines.
I'm pretty sure that actual quote was so that they could have more unique models loading at a time since loading separate pieces requires more resources

essentially console limitations

I'm pretty sure that actual quote was so that they could have more unique models loading at a time since loading separate pieces requires more resources
A bit of extra memory (less than one MB in typical scenarios, I'd suspect) and a handful of extra draw calls per scene wouldn't be a big issue. I don't really consider that a reasonable explanation.

A bit of extra memory (less than one MB in typical scenarios, I'd suspect) and a handful of extra draw calls per scene wouldn't be a big issue. I don't really consider that a reasonable explanation.

I always interpreted their meaning to be that they didn't want to take the time to make mixed gear look presentable.

That, and more than 4 armor slots could be daunting to people who are slow.

This has to be a part of it... why else would they only have one ring? (imo, one of the more stupid decisions they made)

edit: although when you think about this in regards to the UI (and how poorly it shows what you have equipped or even just what is in your inventory), it's shitty design could have also been a factor as to the simplifying of gear.

Back