Elder Scrolls Online - $37

That's about $40 too much.

Yep. With all the problems I keep reading that this game has, I'll probably just wait til its F2P which its headed toward anyway.

I would try it out if they had a "play free" for 10 day thing. like WOW has

$37???? Just wait another 6 months and it won't cost you a damn thing ;)

Yeah. I didn't know they were charging a sub on that game. Now that I know, I figure they're getting what they can from the early adopters, then it will go F2P. I don't expect the box to ever be free though (kinda like Guild Wars or The Secret World).

Great read. Think I'm going to hold off

The vast majority of the Tom's Hardware review is flat out wrong. Many of the things he mentions were fixed in beta a couple months prior, the overwhelming vast majority of things he mentions has been fixed in the last patch, and other things are just flat out lies. Yes, lies. If you skip the intro content it starts you off with weapons you would have picked up in the content, it starts you off with the skyshards you would have picked up, and it starts you off with your attribute points you would have finished with the tutorial section with and that is just on the first page. There are numerous other inaccuracies throughout the review.

RvR is nothing like he makes it out to be unless you run with a pickup zerg which is extremely rare in live. In Beta it was super common but in live there are so many organized pickup groups it is hard to be in a "zerg" that isn't structured. We run close to 50-100 people a night in RvR and we're always branched off into small groups because small group combat is so much more fulfilling and we often wipe large zergs through strategy and teamwork.

If you're a fan of the elder scrolls, love a good story, love exploring, and love large scale siege combat then $37 is a great price to get it at. Even if you don't sub past the first month, I more than got my moneys worth out of the game in a months time. Leveling is slower than many recent MMOs. With veteran ranks there is a total of 150 levels (the first few levels are pretty blah but once you start opening up your other traits and understanding your class and weapon synergies combat gets pretty damn good, there are a ton of exploring and achievements to do, crafting is deep, and ESO is a roleplayers paradise.

The latest patch fixed the vast majority of broken quests which really was the primary problem with the game so now is a good time to hop in.

The vast majority of the Tom's Hardware review is flat out wrong. Many of the things he mentions were fixed in beta a couple months prior, the overwhelming vast majority of things he mentions has been fixed in the last patch, and other things are just flat out lies. Yes, lies. If you skip the intro content it starts you off with weapons you would have picked up in the content, it starts you off with the skyshards you would have picked up, and it starts you off with your attribute points you would have finished with the tutorial section with and that is just on the first page. There are numerous other inaccuracies throughout the review.

RvR is nothing like he makes it out to be unless you run with a pickup zerg which is extremely rare in live. In Beta it was super common but in live there are so many organized pickup groups it is hard to be in a "zerg" that isn't structured. We run close to 50-100 people a night in RvR and we're always branched off into small groups because small group combat is so much more fulfilling and we often wipe large zergs through strategy and teamwork.

If you're a fan of the elder scrolls, love a good story, love exploring, and love large scale siege combat then $37 is a great price to get it at. Even if you don't sub past the first month, I more than got my moneys worth out of the game in a months time. Leveling is slower than many recent MMOs. With veteran ranks there is a total of 150 levels (the first few levels are pretty blah but once you start opening up your other traits and understanding your class and weapon synergies combat gets pretty damn good, there are a ton of exploring and achievements to do, crafting is deep, and ESO is a roleplayers paradise.

The latest patch fixed the vast majority of broken quests which really was the primary problem with the game so now is a good time to hop in.

You're saying this game is worth $37 even if it's just for one month?

IMO is not worth $3.70 even if there was no subscription.

If you're interested wait for it to go f2p. It will go f2p this game cannot support a sub model, not even close.

First of all, Elder Scrolls Online is ... NOTHING like the hugely popular stand alone game.

It has a very muted / bland color pallet. All the names for places and people used are very hard to pronounce. Some of the quests can be interrupted my other players ( poor design ) making completion of these quests nearly impossible. You will constantly have to empty your bags by selling and repairing your gear so much so it becomes a a very annoying hindrance.

The UI is very much a freshman effort. It shows these guys are new to the game. Some of the buttons and placement could be a lot better.

My girlfriend and I bought the $80 deluxe versions each. I had 13 days left, cancelled last night and uninstalled. They didn't even ask why I was leaving, just a standard "sorry to see you leave" and that was that.

Not really surprised or mad, I played the beta and knew of it didn't have much of a chance long term.

I would absolutely not recommend this game to anyone.

First of all, Elder Scrolls Online is ... NOTHING like the hugely popular stand alone game.
It is, just missing the sandbox and enemies which level with you.

It has a very muted / bland color pallet.
Same color palette used in the hugely popular stand alone game. Some areas are bland others are extremely bright and vibrant.

All the names for places and people used are very hard to pronounce.

Same names from the hugely popular stand alone game.

Some of the quests can be interrupted my other players ( poor design ) making completion of these quests nearly impossible.
fixed those as of the last patch.

You will constantly have to empty your bags by selling and repairing your gear so much so it becomes a a very annoying hindrance.

So getting loot and gear and crafting items in abundance us a bad thing? Oh and I'm now vr4 and I haven't repaired my gear once. I swap out gear I find and move on.

The UI is very much a freshman effort. It shows these guys are new to the game. Some of the buttons and placement could be a lot better.

Agreed. Luckily add ons fix that.

My girlfriend and I bought the $80 deluxe versions each. I had 13 days left, cancelled last night and uninstalled. They didn't even ask why I was leaving, just a standard "sorry to see you leave" and that was that.

Not really surprised or mad, I played the beta and knew of it didn't have much of a chance long term.

I would absolutely not recommend this game to anyone.

Sorry to see you leave. I'm enjoying the game and would recommend it to everyone.

The vast majority of the Tom's Hardware review is flat out wrong.

Climber, you have been overwhelmingly positive of the game (you seem to be the lucky guy who has had zero issues?), but pretty much everywhere I look, its mixed.

The key metric I go to is metacritic, which is usually skewed in many cases (paid reviews, troll rating 10's 0's, etc); but when both the User and Critic scores align, it usually means the game is in fact poor. In this case 72 Critic / 6.1 user.

Compare this to The Secret World (74 critic / 8.4 user), DC Universe Online (72 / 6.9), and SW:TOR (85 / 5.8).

ESO is hinging on being like TOR, in that its based off an established franchise, but has already missed the mark on that (at least to reviewers and initial user reactions). Word of mouth will kill this game, even if it ends up being good in the long run.

They didn't learn that lesson from the countless other failed MMO releases, and as such will fail like those others.

Don't leave Beta until its done being a Beta. Even if you charge people, keep it in beta status if it is in beta status.

It is, just missing the sandbox and enemies which level with you.

Same color palette used in the hugely popular stand alone game. Some areas are bland others are extremely bright and vibrant.

Same names from the hugely popular stand alone game.

fixed those as of the last patch.

So getting loot and gear and crafting items in abundance us a bad thing? Oh and I'm now vr4 and I haven't repaired my gear once. I swap out gear I find and move on.

Agreed. Luckily add ons fix that.

Sorry to see you leave. I'm enjoying the game and would recommend it to everyone.

The mmo honeymoon fans crack me up. I can't wait until you stop convincing yourself you like the game and realize is just the same old bland shit.

Never said it was nothing other than an mmo. It is the same bland old shit. It is like complaining BF4 is just another boring shooter on rails. ESO is your typical mmo but set in the elder scrolls universe which is why I recommended it to elder scrolls fans. For $37 it is a good buy and the story arc is worth that much at least to me it was. I've got just over 60 hours in live so ya I find $37 to be worth that much in entertainment value. As far as the mmo goes true ESO doesn't reinvent the genre it just refined it quite a bit and imo did a good job of doing that.

We initially had 120 to 150 people in our guild. We are down to 35 or 40 actively playing members the past few weeks. Massive drop. They are just not coming back online.

Losing money at MMO's is just part of the cost of doing business. I might be able to recover $25 dollars reselling the account with a level 48 Nighblade on it over on craigslist.

Climber seems to be one of the very few that likes this game at the level he does. Will he / she and others be enough to keep the gaming going? Time will tell.

The mmo honeymoon fans crack me up. I can't wait until you stop convincing yourself you like the game and realize is just the same old bland shit.

How dare he actually enjoy a game others don't. ffs :rolleyes:

I've played since head start and I'm still enjoying the game. I can see why other folks completely despise it.

I feel like it's a niche game and I hope the developers iron out some of the obvious issues and continue with their vision. The folks that say "I'm only going to play if it's free" won't like the game anyway.

Based on the reviews the initial price will start dropping pretty quickly, but hopefully they'll continue the sub model.

Never said it was nothing other than an mmo. It is the same bland old shit. It is like complaining BF4 is just another boring shooter on rails. ESO is your typical mmo but set in the elder scrolls universe which is why I recommended it to elder scrolls fans. For $37 it is a good buy and the story arc is worth that much at least to me it was. I've got just over 60 hours in live so ya I find $37 to be worth that much in entertainment value. As far as the mmo goes true ESO doesn't reinvent the genre it just refined it quite a bit and imo did a good job of doing that.

I got your back, homie. I personally love the game.

Climber, you have been overwhelmingly positive of the game (you seem to be the lucky guy who has had zero issues?), but pretty much everywhere I look, its mixed.

I don't think I'm overwhelmingly positive, as the game has issues and I'll be the first to admit that things need to be fixed. Where I probably get the overwhelmingly positive vibe is because of things like the Tom's Hardware review. At points he either flat out lies in the review or is given information that is months old. If you are going to make a decision to purchase the game do you want to make that decision on old information or in some cases just wrong information?

The tom's hardware review points out the copy and paste dungeon issue, yea that is an issue and I agree with the complaint but I don't find it warrants knocking the game for because it is standard industry practice to reuse assets. So I don't worry about it all that much, If this was something new I would probably call them out on it, but in this case, especially in this case the Elder Scrolls team has always reused assets. From Daggerfall to Skyrim a large portion of the caves in those games are just recycled assets. Why does Skyrim get a pass on using them but not ESO? Fallout 3 utilizes the same assets for their world so why is that ok? WoW, Rift, PoE, Diablo 1-3, etc...etc...all reuse the same dungeon assets over and over again but why is that ok for them but not ESO.

A single point which Jim brought up in his review and I actually thought was impressive was the amount of open world dungeons there are in the game. What other MMO has over 100 public dungeons on release. I actually think that is impressive but instead it is being used as a negative against the game. True that they are fairly trivial and short, but there is a lot of stuff to be found in them. Lorebooks, reading books, story items, treasure maps, rare crafting mats, and other things encourage you to explore them. Do you need to do them? No, so if they aren't your thing move onto something else.

There are tons of quests off the beaten path if you choose to explore. I haven't played WoW since the Burning Crusade but lots of places to go in WoW were lifeless. You could go up a path in the mountains and find some mobs to kill but in ESO if you go up that mountain path you might find a named mob living in a cave, you might find a quest to help a wayward Wizard, a lorebook, or a map that leads you to another area to explore. To me, I'd much rather have that system than what the majority of MMOs are utilizing. GW2 did a good job of putting stuff off the beaten path, but it never felt like I was involved with the world if I wasn't doing the events.In ESO all the quests have a tie in to something in that region or dealing with the main quest in some way and for me I think that is pretty cool. I love story driven games, LoTRO is my favorite PvE game and I love the way they tailored the main quest to be done solo instead of in raid groups so I enjoy the parts of ESO that allow me to solo the main quest and progress through the PvE that way. I understand that if people would rather have a harder PvE experience but right now I think the difficulty is at the right level.

Color pallets? It is the same exact worlds found in the single player games. Of course the desert zone is going to be brown, but the rest of the world is hugely green and vibrant. So yea, if someone is complaining about the color scheme I'm going to point out that that is incorrect. If you think the color scheme is crap well that is different from stating it is all brown and I won't bother trying to correct your opinion other than to say I disagree.

The key metric I go to is metacritic, which is usually skewed in many cases (paid reviews, troll rating 10's 0's, etc); but when both the User and Critic scores align, it usually means the game is in fact poor. In this case 72 Critic / 6.1 user.

Fair enough; however, the game is eliciting so much love hate I don't think a lot of the reviews are really fair. For example the Tom's Hardware review is wrong on so many levels that at times I think he just read reddit and put the complaints from there into his review.

Compare this to The Secret World (74 critic / 8.4 user), DC Universe Online (72 / 6.9), and SW:TOR (85 / 5.8).

I think the scores are revealing. TSW was a great game. I loved the atmosphere, the quests, and the combat in it but a lot of the critics failed to score it subjectively and used past games as a bar for it but people who actually played it generally loved it. DCU and SW:ToR are both well established franchises and they were judged against their past franchises, and the same holds true for ESO. Fans either love or hate what they direction they were taken in. For example I think 5.8 is much too low for SW:ToR and would give it probably a point higher as the PvE was great, just the end game and PvP was severely lacking. I'd probably give ESO a high 7 or low 8 score just so you know where I'm coming from.

ESO is hinging on being like TOR, in that its based off an established franchise, but has already missed the mark on that (at least to reviewers and initial user reactions). Word of mouth will kill this game, even if it ends up being good in the long run.

I agree with this 100%. I think the word of mouth damage is already done as seen from several of the complaints here.

They didn't learn that lesson from the countless other failed MMO releases, and as such will fail like those others.

Don't leave Beta until its done being a Beta. Even if you charge people, keep it in beta status if it is in beta status.

Personally I thought ESO has had the best launch of any MMO out there. I wouldn't have kept it in beta either if the decision was mine. The bugs have been extremely minor. yes I've had to relog to get a quest mob or item to show, yes, I've dropped a couple quests because they were broken, but I've had do that for every single MMO ever. I've had to wait for patches to fix single player games because they were broken. Somethings slip through the cracks and as long as they aren't halting the progression of my character or breaking the game completely I'll let it slide because good companies who care about the health of their game or their player base will fix those. If you noticed that Mark just released the ESO state of the game address and I feel they are going in the right direction. If you play the game you know spam bots have been all but eliminated, the overwhelming majority of broken quests have been fixed, they are working to fix the vampire and werewolf lines, the lag in cyrodill, and adding a whole bunch of traditional Elder Scroll items, guilds, and quests.

I like the MMO genre. I liked TSW and enjoyed that but once all my friends left I moved on, same as I did with DAoC, LoTRO, and SW:ToR. I'll do the same here I'm just bummed I see a game that has a lot of potential getting so much unfair criticism. Some of it has been rightly deserved and in those areas Zenimax has responded promptly to address it. Others they just aren't going to win no matter what they do so it is going to be interesting to see what they do regarding those issues.

For $37 I think a fan of the Elder Scrolls series would get their money's worth out of it.

Pay 200$ and we'll give you full Daedric.

Already included in the base game.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter Climber, you're wrong to enjoy this game. No personal preferences for you, dirty hippy

I'm wishing I had not purchased it and I've already canceled my monthly subscription. The game is very pretty and at 2650x1080 really get's you into the scene. The voice-overs are a nice touch and lends towards the realism they wanted so badly. You know what's not real? Every quest giver wanting the same thing (worse then WoW almost). Every dungeon being in a lowercase "b" shape with a quick door out. Every boss being camped by bots. Every zone having tons and tons of gold spammer spam. The craft or die mentality. It's just not a good game.

I played it for about an hour in beta and was bored to tears. I wouldn't pay anything for it. Wait till it's f2p.

Doesn't matter Climber, you're wrong to enjoy this game. No personal preferences for you, dirty hippy

I'm getting that! :D

Guess I'm in the minority.I find it more engaging and more refined than any other MMO out. Oh well I got my money's worth so I'm happy!

Gonna steer clear of this one considering the tepid to scathing reviews.

On a side note, if you're looking for a new MMO, I'd suggest giving Age of Conan a (re)try. In the past 1 1/2 it's gotten some great new content, and the graphics are still some of the best of the MMOs, IMO.

The tom's hardware review points out the copy and paste dungeon issue, yea that is an issue and I agree with the complaint but I don't find it warrants knocking the game for because it is standard industry practice to reuse assets. So I don't worry about it all that much, If this was something new I would probably call them out on it, but in this case, especially in this case the Elder Scrolls team has always reused assets. From Daggerfall to Skyrim a large portion of the caves in those games are just recycled assets. Why does Skyrim get a pass on using them but not ESO? Fallout 3 utilizes the same assets for their world so why is that ok? WoW, Rift, PoE, Diablo 1-3, etc...etc...all reuse the same dungeon assets over and over again but why is that ok for them but not ESO.

"Well everyone else does it" doesn't really cut it. Realize that most people expect more than status quo mediocrity when they're paying an upfront cost + a $15 monthly fee. And pointing back at what older games tended to do isn't a valid excuse for 2014 where people rightfully expect more than what's already been done to death. Zenimax squandered an opportunity to set ESO apart in this regard.

Last edited:
"Well everyone else does it" doesn't really cut it. Realize that most people expect more than status quo mediocrity when they're paying an upfront cost + a $15 monthly fee. And pointing back at what older games tended to do isn't a valid excuse for 2014 where people rightfully expect more than what's already been done to death. Zenimax squandered an opportunity to set ESO apart in this regard.

Yes it does cut it. When you foot a 200 million dollar game you can choose to take a risk or play it safe. Zenimax decided to go for a more refined MMO experience and combined PvP, PvE, and siege based content into one game and I think they did a pretty snazzy job at it.

What would you have wanted from Zenimax? Think carefully and go back through the critiques cause half want one thing and half want another and then someone else thinks it should be this way and another wants that. You can't please everyone and so what you think works someone else is going to think is a shit tastic idea.Look what happened to TSW. How about LoTRO, Darkfall, Rift, Aion, FFXIV, the current state of WoW. Who do you please? Zenimax has attempted to please everyone it seems like and that is now biting them in the ass.

So pretty sure $37 is going to probably drop even lower in the next couple months so if you're still on the fence and think $37 is too much then ya, wait a couple more months and as always things will be much smoother.

It's on sale this week at Best Buy for $39.99. Not $37, but close.

I'm wishing I had not purchased it and I've already canceled my monthly subscription. The game is very pretty and at 2650x1080 really get's you into the scene. The voice-overs are a nice touch and lends towards the realism they wanted so badly. You know what's not real? Every quest giver wanting the same thing (worse then WoW almost). Every dungeon being in a lowercase "b" shape with a quick door out. Every boss being camped by bots. Every zone having tons and tons of gold spammer spam. The craft or die mentality. It's just not a good game.

As a counterpoint, I think the game offers a fantastic class and crafting system, the quests are well-written and varied (even the collect 10 bear assses quests are well disguised) the narratives are engaging, and I find the combat fun.

Only the starter zones have any gold spam of any note and you aren't required by any measure to craft to gain new equipment; also thank goodness for the dungeons have a quick exit and not having to slog past all the same stuff you just fought past to get out.

I think its well worth the money and while like all games, it will go down over time, this is a good deal. /2cents.

First of all, Elder Scrolls Online is ... NOTHING like the hugely popular stand alone game. Some of the quests can be interrupted my other players ( poor design ) making completion of these quests nearly impossible

Why would It be? If was made by completely different people. Saw that coming a mile away. As for the "poor design" it sounds to me like a step in the right direction. Having not played the game I can only guess, but I would literally give my right nut to have a game with a persistent world and none of this instancing garbage they push these days for the kids. I recall camping lodizal for about 30 hours, one of my first all nighters as a teen (doubt I could even make one these days) I had coffee and all. Anyhow, he popped and I got KSd. Was I disappointed? Sure! Did I cry about it to the point an entire genre was ruined cause I couldnt handle investing time or effort if I didn't benefit? Nope.

Can only assume you came into the mmo genre with wow?

That said - they did one thing right that caught my eye but was certainly not enough to get me to buy it (waiting for pantheon) is the lack of an auction house. Too little it appears but kudos for trying to bring some rpg back to the mmorpg genre!

MUAHAHAHA!

"You got two gold off her body? I didn't get shit off her body."

rotflmao

And I love the comparison between actual game play and the promo Daedric invasions. Reminds me of that scene in "Falling Down" where Michael Douglas holds up a Whammy burger, points to the ad with a juicy picture of one and says, "See. This is what I'm talking about."

Between this video and Tom's conclusion, I had a belly full of laughs from this game. All for free!!!!

T4T

Last edited by a moderator:

Nominating this for "dumbest comment of the week"

Why do you care if he likes MMOs or even an MMO that isn't as popular as others? Comments like these crack me up for their stupidity. You don't like the game don't buy it... pretty simple. Why the pathetic attempt at shaming?

As for the game personally I thought it was decent in beta, but I only played it a few times as I kept missing the beta events due to not playing attention closely. I agree with others on waiting for it to be F2P but that is only because I don't care to sub for games anymore and not anything to do with the game itself.

I play Secret World and rather enjoy it.
That being said, its still buggy as hell.
When its time to take quests or turn them in, I often have to log out then in again to start or finish the quests, something they've been aware of since Beta and have yet to fix.
Its worth free, but I sure as hell wouldn't pay for it because its buggy.

I feel the same way about ESO.
So long as its a buggy mess, its not worth paying for.
I'm waiting till its free or its fixed, no way I'm diving into another mess.

Back