Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

Other than the 1-shot kill and 2% damage bosses I'm not meant to fight yet, I still haven't faced anything tougher than the 2 Burial Watchdog statues at the same time. Even beyond the sheer challenge of sneaking in hits, those things shrug off damage from strong weapons. The trick is, they feel beatable even at relatively low levels. I never bailed from the fight with the assumption that it wasn't possible yet.

I finally let go of my shield and playing exclusively 2-handed Halberd with faith incantations as needed - really enjoying combat again and starting to feel like that 'Paladin' build I have envisioned building towards.

I finally let go of my shield and playing exclusively 2-handed Halberd with faith incantations as needed - really enjoying combat again and starting to feel like that 'Paladin' build I have envisioned building towards.

I ditched my dual swords and dual daggers (still keep my favorites for when they come in handy, but I'm using a great-sword/dagger combo now, and having a blast. I use the great-sword for 90% of things, but keep that dagger out for when I need to swipe something quickly. I have a staff at the ready to do distance things, but barely use it. I'm mostly dex/str/int scaled right now, with a good amount of arcane, so I can only really do sorcery damage so well, even with a nice staff. It helps on occasion. The sword/dagger combo benefit from the arcane though, so I'll be adding more to it over time. It's working out pretty well, and fights are fun with these, so I'm going to keep at it for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I get my endurance up enough that I can hold two weapons I want, dual wielding seems more beneficial than using a shield. Although I have survived many encounters thanks to parrying.

Once I get my endurance up enough that I can hold two weapons I want, dual wielding seems more beneficial than using a shield. Although I have survived many encounters thanks to parrying.
Heck, with guard counters, a 100% physical block shield can be a hell of a thing. Put a magical boost on it for other defense types and its even more useful.

I couldn't get a player summon last night for Rennala, so went to explore Caelid to get a few levels. Found Commander O'Neil, and got a pretty easy way to kill him. Lured him out of the Arena, and just circled around spamming spells. With my build I get one shotted by pretty much everything in Caelid.
defeat commander O'Neill

Heck, with guard counters, a 100% physical block shield can be a hell of a thing. Put a magical boost on it for other defense types and its even more useful.
And remember to actually level up the shield. I didn't on my Brass Shield at first, thinking "I'm not going to attack with it, so who cares about leveling up attack power". However, Guard Boost is the critical metric that leveling up the shield improves and I only discovered recently, meaning you'll be tougher to guard break and will take less of a stamina hit. Level the shield high enough and you'll be taking pretty much no stamina hit.

BTW the Erdtree Shield is one everyone should grab (drops from dual Tree Sentinel fight) since it parries magic back at the caster and absolutely annihilates - I expect it to get nerfed eventually.

There's also a Talisman that boosts (reduces) your carrying weight in case you don't want to commit points to Endurance. Dont remember where I found it though.

I've completed the game already and have been popping into games to help people with bosses for fun (great way to farm rune arcs). Is there a [H] gaming group? Everytime a shardbearer is killed, people in the group get a rune drop boost for a short time.

I've been rocking a samurai build since start and played meteor sword until I got to the mountaintop and then found the blood katana and been rocking that since I got it. My playstyle has been to rock high poise to ensure that when I do get in some hits, I get in some significant hits before I have to dodge or if I have to trade hits, that the hits I do is worth it. Always had a summon out to help draw aggro away so I can reset, reposition and heal. Pretty much carried me through all bosses.

Been playing off and on the past week or so mainly because work is taking a lot of my time atm. Still in the city but progressing a little. (Hate those bow-wielding guards btw) Like others, i don't want to burn myself out if i can help it.
For some reason, i've taken a liking to the 1rst Dying Light game so been playing that a little this week. :)

There's also a Talisman that boosts (reduces) your carrying weight in case you don't want to commit points to Endurance. Dont remember where I found it though.

I have found three so far. Big, bigger and biggest

Reactions: DPI
like this
Guard counters are a game changer for using a shield. In Dark Souls 3 I barely ever used one. I mainly just kept one around for stat boosts or aesthetics. Guard counters make rocking a decent shield a powerful tool.

And remember to actually level up the shield. I didn't on my Brass Shield at first, thinking "I'm not going to attack with it, so who cares about leveling up attack power". However, Guard Boost is the critical metric that leveling up the shield improves and I only discovered recently, meaning you'll be tougher to guard break and will take less of a stamina hit. Level the shield high enough and you'll be taking pretty much no stamina hit.

BTW the Erdtree Shield is one everyone should grab (drops from dual Tree Sentinel fight) since it parries magic back at the caster and absolutely annihilates - I expect it to get nerfed eventually.

There’s a spell that will parry/deflect magic as well.

Reactions: DPI
like this
I burned myself out. I haven't played in about a week. XD
That's what it sounded like you were headed toward with being underleveled but going after dragons for 200+ retries, no offense :)

If you can't get a boss in 10-15 tries, rethink, re-spec or re-gear, level up, come back.

Mastering horse mounted combat has let me break through certain PITA area bosses, and I think some were actually intended/designed to be fought on horseback.

Fun fact: your weight doesn't matter while on horseback, meaning you can use the chunkiest heaviest armor without penalty (of course, until you get knocked off your horse).

That's what it sounded like you were headed toward with being underleveled but going after dragons for 200+ retries, no offense :)

If you can't get a boss in 10-15 tries, rethink, level up, come back.
yea, saw that coming from a mile away.

its been getting warmer out too, so my responsibilities have been placed elsewhere. I haven't been doing any gaming.

I only just learned you can swing to your left while on horseback. For nearly 2 weeks I became a master of keeping enemies to my right at all times :p
No clue what's to come, but I've killed 4 dragons just by getting close to them and wailing on their legs while still on my horse - When they fly up in the air - go under 'em and then hard-charge them when they land again. Compared to the Souls dragons, they're pretty simple. If your damage seems low, don't forget to boost your weapons.

Yeah, the dragons are a let down.

Especially after as many hours as I've put into Monster Hunter, most of the larger enemies are kinda lackluster. If I have space to dodge then things are gonna go smoothly.

I had problems with dragons at first, but then I learned the halberd (at least the Golden) has a double swing R2 on horseback, and that second swing wrecks dragons.

Gonna start my second playthrough today, stayed up late last night and completed the game at RL125, 220 hours played. I was fighting the final boss for about 10 hours over the past 2 days, I was a Occult Twinblade build, guessing that is one of the weaker builds against that boss.

Next playthrough probably going to go more of a assassin type build. Maybe Dagger, dark flame spells with some stealth, haven't fully thought it out yet. Gonna check out some of the spells in the game in my free time to start planning it.

I fought/beat Radahn last night. That's one of those fights that can be easy or hard depending on how the CPU feels like playing. It took me a few tries and sometimes the CPU is especially brutal with the power shots and stuff that's tough to punish. Other times, it's like he can't seem to initiate the second half of the fight and you can maul him really quickly.

I still have yet to cast a spell in this game, not have I found anything that allows me to respec my stats so I can try.

I fought/beat Radahn last night. That's one of those fights that can be easy or hard depending on how the CPU feels like playing. It took me a few tries and sometimes the CPU is especially brutal with the power shots and stuff that's tough to punish. Other times, it's like he can't seem to initiate the second half of the fight and you can maul him really quickly.

I still have yet to cast a spell in this game, not have I found anything that allows me to respec my stats so I can try.
Depending how you explored (sounds like you picked the more difficult path) you should have run into the Raya Lucaria section by now. That’d be the path to lead you in the direction you want.

Depending how you explored (sounds like you picked the more difficult path) you should have run into the Raya Lucaria section by now. That’d be the path to lead you in the direction you want.
Probably like me and took a right into Caelid. XD

Looks like I'm able to go in there now. For the longest time I apparently didn't have the item needed to unlock that gate. I guess that's my next stop.

I'm level 80 and I still avoid Caelid as much as possible.

Same. I just hit level 80 and have mostly completed Caelid (as far as I can tell), but I still avoid it like the plague. It's one colossal annoyance after another around every corner. Those little guys in Dragonbarrow are plentiful and worth 1000 runes each, though. If I'm ever close to gaining a level and need to top myself off, that's where I go. Otherwise, I've done no farming or grinding.

Anyone have tips for a certain mine/catacomb where there are 8+ enemy NPC's fighting each other? I'm at lvl95 and just don't see how you can take them out....

Anyone have tips for a certain mine/catacomb where there are 8+ enemy NPC's fighting each other? I'm at lvl95 and just don't see how you can take them out....
Just run through and grab what you need, if you engage those guys they’ll just keep respawning. Watch out for the bowmen, they’ll wreck you, but you should be able to sprint through/dodge and activate the boss doors.

I only just learned you can swing to your left while on horseback. For nearly 2 weeks I became a master of keeping enemies to my right at all times :p
No clue what's to come, but I've killed 4 dragons just by getting close to them and wailing on their legs while still on my horse - When they fly up in the air - go under 'em and then hard-charge them when they land again. Compared to the Souls dragons, they're pretty simple. If your damage seems low, don't forget to boost your weapons.

Yeah, the dragons's femoral arteries are very near their skin, so you always need to go for the legs :p

I fully committed to melee only first run, yet I couldn't pass up the infusion magic. They are just too good. I spent the necessary points to meet the requisites asap. So far all of them have very low requirements so it's not like I'm throwing significant points away.

Bloodflame blade has paid for itself ten times over. Makes an ordinary weapon like the Longsworn Longsword actually viable even without ashes of war.

Special weapons and ashes of war are overrated anyway. I like the versatility of infusing anything at a whim. Just doing bleed or spamming the same special attack all the time gets boring. One trick pony builds are boring to me. Plus certain bosses are weak to the other types of damage, which makes versatility a good strat.

Situations like infusing holy and one shotting undead enemy types that won't get back up? So nice...

Looks like I'm able to go in there now. For the longest time I apparently didn't have the item needed to unlock that gate. I guess that's my next stop.

Same. I just hit level 80 and have mostly completed Caelid (as far as I can tell), but I still avoid it like the plague. It's one colossal annoyance after another around every corner. Those little guys in Dragonbarrow are plentiful and worth 1000 runes each, though. If I'm ever close to gaining a level and need to top myself off, that's where I go. Otherwise, I've done no farming or grinding.
Oh yeah. That was my early and so far really only farming spot. Equipping the yellow foul foot that gives you 50% more souls per kill and just circle strafing those little Vulgar Militiamen on horseback until I racked up 10K-30K souls. I got lucky and stumbled on the teleporter gate to that area early, it tiook me to the the bonfire inside the building with Gurranq (Beast Clergyman). The teleporter gate was just randomly at the end of an out of the way river hidden by bushes.

I just kill the six early game giants on the thunder plains. I take them all down in a couple minutes, 6k easy runes. I go there whenever I’m close-ish to a level and don’t want the typical souls-game stress of losing runes. Starting to get to the point where 6k is not that much though. I probably have some of these boost items you guys are talking about …

I like to farm in the windmill village. It's a couple of areas later, but the drop rate for the standard enemy there is great! I just wipe the town a couple of times, and presto!

Luckily, I haven't really ever needed to farm yet. So far, whatever route I've taken has mostly served me well. The only enemies I haven't been able to roll up to and fight are in Dragonbarrow. They definitely feel too strong for me. Otherwise, I've been able to progress and fight whatever is in my way.

Luckily, I haven't really ever needed to farm yet. So far, whatever route I've taken has mostly served me well. The only enemies I haven't been able to roll up to and fight are in Dragonbarrow. They definitely feel too strong for me. Otherwise, I've been able to progress and fight whatever is in my way.
A few of the enemies in Dragonbarrow definitely have hard move-sets. Those dogs piss me off, I can 2 shot them, but I end up whiffing more often than not.

So I'm 66 hours in and I haven't leveled up a single weapon. That's probably not the way the game is meant to be played so it makes me wonder... Is it worth it to level up mid-tier weapons? Or should I be hoarding smithing stones until I get some S-tier weapons?

Back