Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

Horse could be a better transition from one level to another instead of linking the levels like the did in previous games.

Tencent is going after FromSoftware's parent company Kadokawa. Kadokawa's stock skyrocketed 400 points (6.2%) on the Tokyo Stock Exchange when the information came out.

1635513531358.png

1635513601902.png

Terrible news - let’s hope From doesn’t start mandating a separate always-online account for their games.

Terrible news - let’s hope From doesn’t start mandating a separate always-online account for their games.
I think Tencent's stake is more about bringing Kadokawa's other larger media holdings into the Chinese markets. From is a really small part of Kadokawa if you look at their portfolio. But we'll see.

5% is a rather low stake to be trying to then push their Games as a Service philosophy. Took what 40% or something of Epic to do it. Although still reasons to be suspicious of Chinese investments in general as it relates to how they want things done a certain way to appeal to the Chinese market. On the bright side this is probably too late in the process to impact Elden Ring too much. :)

5% is a rather low stake to be trying to then push their Games as a Service philosophy. Took what 40% or something of Epic to do it. Although still reasons to be suspicious of Chinese investments in general as it relates to how they want things done a certain way to appeal to the Chinese market. On the bright side this is probably too late in the process to impact Elden Ring too much. :)
Tencent's stake is 6.86%, and that makes them the second majority owner of Kadokawa after Korean corporation Kakao.

Plus China is known for exerting its influence, particularly over anything they deem sensitive, and their leadership is really, really, really, sensitive.

Plus China is known for exerting its influence, particularly over anything they deem sensitive, and their leadership is really, really, really, sensitive.
So you're telling me no 30-foot, fire breathing Winnie The Pooh boss with Taurus Demon moveset in Elden Ring. Now it's too dicey.

Last edited:
Looks like the stream will go live at 09:45 EDT. In the meantime, the CE for the game has been showing up in Twitch's ad rotation.

1636031791856.png

Preview turned out to be 20 minutes long. Looks like the perfect evolution from all Souls games that came before it. The map looks enormous. At the end of the video they also showed a Premium edition that includes a full-scale helmet replica.

I'll give a warning that the last 4 minutes or so of the video shows clips from a fight with one of the plot bosses, in case anybody doesn't want to spoil that.

Preorders are up on Steam
I should just delete all those other games I have on my Wishlist now really don't want any of them after buying this. Except for Marvel's Midnight Suns and Ground Branch maybe =)

Last edited:
once again, it still looks exactly like what i would expect from an open world From game... but also as before, that's exactly what i want to see, lol. graphically it looks a bit dated (compared to, say, demon's souls), but that really doesn't matter to me as long as the artistic direction is on point - and of course it is.

I like what I see. It appears to have a large scope (a la the Witcher) and lots of enemies, but with specifically curated boss fights and such. Speed/technique-wise it seems like attacks have the heft from the Souls games, but enemies don't seem particularly quick or twitchy. Total shot in the dark, but the way enemies are telegraphing attacks, I don't think this will be a challenging as the Souls games. That's totally based on a quick video demo, though :p

I like what I see. It appears to have a large scope (a la the Witcher) and lots of enemies, but with specifically curated boss fights and such. Speed/technique-wise it seems like attacks have the heft from the Souls games, but enemies don't seem particularly quick or twitchy. Total shot in the dark, but the way enemies are telegraphing attacks, I don't think this will be a challenging as the Souls games. That's totally based on a quick video demo, though :p
would be cool if they used the open world element to give players a bit of optional challenge, i.e. not every part of the map has to be explored to complete the game, but there are deeper challenges (and better rewards) for players who have, as they say, gotten gud.

would be cool if they used the open world element to give players a bit of optional challenge, i.e. not every part of the map has to be explored to complete the game, but there are deeper challenges (and better rewards) for players who have, as they say, gotten gud.
Sounds like the catacombs and whatnot they show halfway through the video are optional.

20% off pre-orders for all editions, at Green Man Gaming. Expires Monday. Though I am sure there will be other chances for 20% off from GMG, before it releases ;)

I do have to say, I wasn't expecting the most amazing graphics but....they actually look worse than I was expecting. I was expecting basically Dark Souls 3 visuals, but larger scope. This is more like Dark Souls 2.5....

I'm sure the game will be very good. But, it feels a bit strange that they still don't get some extra help with developing graphics.

I'd like to know what video you all were watching because the game looks amazing. Maybe you should go back and play Dark Souls 3 again. It won't be at the same level of the Demon's Souls remake due to being a cross-gen release, but it is still a lot better than DS3 was.

I'd like to know what video you all were watching because the game looks amazing. Maybe you should go back and play Dark Souls 3 again. It won't be at the same level of the Demon's Souls remake due to being a cross-gen release, but it is still a lot better than DS3 was.

Right...don't see how anyone could watch that and think the game has worse graphics than DS3. Thought it looked amazing, especially when paired with the From soft formula. Plus the new magic effects, the horse, the draw distance and of course the combat. Shaping up to be a classic.

I do have to say, I wasn't expecting the most amazing graphics but....they actually look worse than I was expecting. I was expecting basically Dark Souls 3 visuals, but larger scope. This is more like Dark Souls 2.5....

I'm sure the game will be very good. But, it feels a bit strange that they still don't get some extra help with developing graphics.

It looks vastly better than DS3 however the Demons Souls remake looks better. But that's to be expected. Anything that targets a specific platform is going to look better because they can focus on exactly that platform. And if the PC is one of those platform that immediately makes everything infinitely worse due to having to deal with the mess that is Windows/PC OS in general, and the hundreds of possible hardware configurations and settings they have to deal with.

For their first multiplaform game of this generation it looks great.

I own all 3 Souls games and I'm awful at every single one but I'm still going to pick this up. I love the visuals and style of the game.
There are four. Demons Souls is a Souls game. It's BB Sekiro and now EL that don't have Souls in their title.

IMHO Demons Souls is still the best of the lot.

I'm excited for this game and that is exceedingly rare in recent years. Not pre-ordering out of principle but still looking forward to picking this up on launch.
Don't care about graphics (looks fine to me, but objectively some of the textures are low-res) all I care about is the proven From formula (ignoring Sekiro).

Dark skyrim souls creed. :p
Not really seeing either Skyrim or Creed - both of those suffer from chronic quantity over quality issues throughout. FROM doesn't do filler.

It's more like Zelda BoTW Souls, with some Dragons Dogma thrown in. Which, it's hard to think of a more compelling fusion of two masterpieces - simultaneously BoTW experienced through a Dark Souls lens, and Dark Souls through a BoTW lens.

It occasionally looks janky in the preview, the flying magic horse, and a few places where it looks like one of those third party games trying to be a Souls game. But then we have to remember this isn't a Souls game - just like Sekiro was it's own thing - and FROM deserves the freedom to try something new.

The exploration, the trying to piece together a story or plot from vague and disturbing NPCs, looks like it's all going to be incredible.

I think the Demon's Souls remake is skewing graphical expectations. That game is up there with the best looking games available. Period. PC included. Dark Souls 3 looks good, but this definitely looks better IMO. It isn't mind melting or anything, but it looks good. Especially for an open world title.

I haven't paid much attention to this until that 20-minute gameplay video. This is now on my radar.

Not really seeing either Skyrim or Creed - both of those suffer from chronic quantity over quality issues throughout. FROM doesn't do filler.
The dragon looks very much like skyrim and the walking / exploration exactly like assassin's creed.
It's more like Zelda BoTW Souls, with some Dragons Dogma thrown in. Which, it's hard to think of a more compelling fusion of two masterpieces - simultaneously BoTW experienced through a Dark Souls lens, and Dark Souls through a BoTW lens.
I never played zelda, but dragons dogma definitely didn't look like a masterpiece when I tried it. It might have some redeeming qualities but I just couldn't get over the awful washed out console port graphics.
It occasionally looks janky in the preview,

I wanted to add "Jank Edition" to the title, but I didn't want to offend the souls fans that much. After TLOU2 these archaic animations stand out like a sore thumb and I'm not sure I can stomach them any more. Even AC:Odyssey had way better animations than this preview.
The exploration, the trying to piece together a story or plot from vague and disturbing NPCs, looks like it's all going to be incredible.
Vague and disturbing npcs is the exact opposite of what I'm looking for in a good game.

The dragon looks very much like skyrim and the walking / exploration exactly like assassin's creed.

I never played zelda, but dragons dogma definitely didn't look like a masterpiece when I tried it. It might have some redeeming qualities but I just couldn't get over the awful washed out console port graphics.

I wanted to add "Jank Edition" to the title, but I didn't want to offend the souls fans that much. After TLOU2 these archaic animations stand out like a sore thumb and I'm not sure I can stomach them any more. Even AC:Odyssey had way better animations than this preview.

Vague and disturbing npcs is the exact opposite of what I'm looking for in a good game.

BOTW is more than worth a playthrough it's really probably the best game of the past several years. But it's also sort of unfair to compare things to it. Nintendo's own main IPs are all sort of the gold standards for what they do that everyone else sort of fails to live up to. They do what they do and nobody does it better but that's ALL they do. The one thing you can say others should try to emulate from them is actually polishing and fixing your shit before selling it to people, even if that does mean you never price drop it.

Back