El Cheapo Upgrade Path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbu8554

Supreme [H]ardness
Alright guys just for Reference I am on an this right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-755-Interlaced-Performance-Professional/dp/B00465QFEA

I had an SSD in it and it it was reasonable fast for me. But even with a decent video card its getting long in the tooth.

So what I would really really like, is a upgrade path reasonable priced.

Since I am rocking a system this old and mostly ok with it I do not need bleeding edge.

I would like to get a system that supports AM3+ but going cheap on the processor and ram for now and upgrading them later on. So now I will answer the list.

Will most likely be buying these parts on [H] used.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming lots of multitasking, future home fileserver, and eventually Matlab and other engineering software.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
150, no tax or shipping in that I can come up a bit if needed if a sweet motherboard is involved where I would never need to upgrade it with this system, but keep upgrading/overclocking other parts.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Las Vegas, NV
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I NEED CPU Ram Motherboard heatsink and fan
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I have a 750w Corsair PSU forget the exact model can't look I am at work.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes but within reasonable levels.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1680x1050 22 inch
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Soonish?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Raid, USB 3.0, Onboard Video,
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
No I do not usually I just install Win7 and do not register as I am poor (prebuilt systems I would totally consider)

Really only need 4 GB of ram right now ideally a motherboard and processor that supports more and I can just add some as I get more available funds.

Oh yeah if i stick a big ass video card in the system it would be nice if I can remove the card without fighting any other motherboard components (Ram usually)

So yeah not your average build but its what I have to spend for now (school is expensive) and honestly I do not need something super new.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Were you planning to reuse the Dell case? I believe the case and the motherboard are proprietary units... Which means you can't upgrade many of the components within that machine.

No I have other cases and my Dell case is a full size that was just the first one on Googl.

Honestly, just save your money. No matter what platform you go with these days, AMD or Intel, none of them have long-term CPU upgrade paths that would be cost-effective. Intel switches sockets almost every 2 years and AMD has pretty much abandoned its AM3+ platform.

I know its abandoned by I kinda need something newer new games would be nice.

So I figure decent motherboard small amount of ram and the most cost effective cpu that can be used and later upgraded to the best am3 offering without replacing motherboard. Sorry for typos and such I'm on my phone about to goto bed.

Thanks guys!

I know its abandoned by I kinda need something newer new games would be nice.

So I figure decent motherboard small amount of ram and the most cost effective cpu that can be used and later upgraded to the best am3 offering without replacing motherboard. Sorry for typos and such I'm on my phone about to goto bed.

Thanks guys!
Just to be clear: You do know that whatever cheap AMD CPU you go with now isn't an upgrade over your current CPU, right?

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
No I do not usually I just install Win7 and do not register as I am poor (prebuilt systems I would totally consider)
Wait, hang on, so you're saying you're using illegal Windows 7 keys?

No I am using win7 and not activating it.

That is an illegitimate use of the Windows license (in fact, failure or refusal to activate is by itself a violation of the EULA). Failure to activate will result in you being effectively "locked out" of your PC after 30 days. That will require a complete wipe and reinstall of the OS every month.

In addition, refusal to activate may hide the fact that you might be using a bootleg or pirated copy of Windows. In such a case, then we cannot help you with any of your hardware requests until you actually state your intention to purchase a legitimate copy of Windows and activate it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back