• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

EL Cheapo Build (~$300)

SolidBladez

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Messages
6,328
This is a simple worklog for my parents' computer. In total, it cost me around $300 for everything. Luckily I made 90% of my return by selling their LGA 775 parts. :cool:

Processor: Intel Core i3 540 @ ???

Motherboard: Intel DP55WG

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB DDR3 1600 996782 (7-9-7-24)

Video Card: Nvidia 8400GS (OEM)

Storage: OCZ Agility 30GB / WD 250GB HDD

Case: Lian-Li Lancool PC-K62

PSU: Antec Eco 520C

CPU Cooling: OCZ Vendetta 2 w/ 1156 mount kit​
 
Before I got the board, I tested the CPU first on my other rig. Not a bad chip I must say.

54046111400v.jpg


------------

-Preliminary Testing-

Since the board was used and untested, I took a great leap of faith in hoping that everything would be compatible and/or working.

p1020764p.jpg


ZOMG! It works!

p1020767.jpg


After updating the BIOS. Surprising, the earlier one supported my 875k.
 
Had to bring my parts in my TV room since it has better lighting.

The board. Simple, yet how simple? Only time will tell when I get the OS installed.

p1020773bf.jpg


After getting the HSF on, a little friend decided to come by and help me build. :drunken:

p1020778.jpg


Never underestimate the power of a SSD.

p1020780l.jpg


Or this guy.

p1020781f.jpg


Fighting the evil non-modular PSU. Those cables can be a menace!

p1020782i.jpg


Bigger size doesn't mean it's better.

p1020785mb.jpg


Mushkin - Like a Boss.

p1020792.jpg


p1020793j.jpg
 
Stripped down to the bare essentials. Makes it easy to clean and put in everything.

p1020789.jpg


Power supply going in first. Need to get that 8-pin EPS12V cable in before I put the motherboard in.

p1020795j.jpg


Takes a bit of wiggling and cursing but it will get through the hole.

p1020797.jpg


Motherboard in place, with the front connectors and main PSU power cables connected.

p1020802v.jpg


Sorry dude, you got to move.

p1020804z.jpg


p1020806w.jpg


Much better.

p1020811bj.jpg


With the removable top and front put back into place.

p1020813q.jpg


Iron Man just doing his thing.

p1020817o.jpg


p1020818.jpg


Final outside shot before I go install the OS.

p1020820j.jpg
 
Uh... Why are your components on carpet? Have you heard of ESD?

EDIT: It's a good build though. I'm surprised you got most of your money back from selling the 775 parts.
 
just a note, the Intel GMA HD should be a wee bit faster than the 8400gs.

EDIT: doh! P55 mobo doesn't have support for the Intel GMA HD's outputs!
 
Uh... Why are your components on carpet? Have you heard of ESD?

My computers are invincible.


Seriously though, I've never had a single issue building my computers on the carpet. I always discharge myself before entering in a room (touch something metal). I store my computer parts in anti-static baggies. What you see pictured are them out of the bags.

Thanks though. :)

@jeremyshaw, lol.
 
Sorry about the quality, my camera can't take pictures very well in low light.

p1020837b.jpg


p1020826u.jpg


p1020828.jpg
 
Is there space for a dual rad at the top.

Yes, that is what those two squarish holes are for. Though you have to get a slim radiator in order for it to fit. I think there are only a few 2x140 slim rads available.
 
Yes, that is what those two squarish holes are for. Though you have to get a slim radiator in order for it to fit. I think there are only a few 2x140 slim rads available.

lol, watercooling a i3 + a 8400gs :D

maybe the MOSFETs and the P55, too :p
 
why do you have static sensitive parts laying on a carpet?

why an Intel board?

looks nice, the mini iron man was a nice touch
 
Back
Top