EK EVO Threadripper Waterblock Breakdown & Comparison

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
We just got our EK EVO Threadripper waterblock in for testing, but before we started all that, since we bought it used in the HardForum, we wanted to make sure the inside was clean of debris. While we have it broken down to check it out, we noticed that the microfin pattern looks incredible small compared to our XSPC RayStorm Threadripper waterblock. We will find out if this is the reason that many folks are reporting "bad" performance from EK's Threadripper block.

Who the hell thought that was a good idea? All they did was add a bunch of extra metal base to expand to the Threadripper IHS size. EK should stop manufacturing and selling these immediately, I don't need to wait for the review to see it is going to perform poorly.

Who the hell thought that was a good idea? All they did was add a bunch of extra metal base to expand to the Threadripper IHS size. EK should stop manufacturing and selling these immediately, I don't need to wait for the review to see it is going to perform poorly.
Ask the awesome PR guy from EK, he is on our forums now.

AtilaEKWB

It does appear to be based on the regular Supremacy EVO cooling engine (top, insert, jet plate, and microfins). The EVO microfins are simply machined from a larger piece of copper that covers the full Threadripper IHS.

They probably did it that way to be first to market, thinking there wouldn't be much of a difference in cooling performance between this and a cooling engine designed specifically for Threadripper.

Just based on that video and no testing whatsoever, if I was getting a Threadripper I'd be buying an XSPC Raystorm Neo block.

Last edited:
Kyle, was the heat transfer surface flat? Concave or Convex?

It indeed looks like a Supremacy EVO internals just connected to a bigger heat spreader/base. Look forward to the review.

it's the same as regular supremacy evo. I was the owner of this block and I own multiple supremacy evos. As per EK support the x399 asus monoblocks have the sane cold plate and fin design. I ordered the MB just out of curiosity. in their response they do not have any internal testing to compare the two. I will know when it ships next week.

I have this block, but no other TR4 block to compare it to. I love the look of it.

I like my EK Radiator, but it's 3 (wait, 4) years old. I've noticed a trend with EK in the last few years where they stopped pushing. You can see it readily in their GPU blocks, which have been essentially the same for 3 years. Sure, there hasn't been much from other brands, but at least they are trying (multi-port I/O, RGBs, AIB versions, crazy flow patterns).

Back to the CPU block. Besides the small area (where the outside 2mm of 2 sides are solid), it looks like the fin density isn't any higher then the others. I think they were relying on the IHS to be perfectly efficient, "Just kinda cover the cores and we'll be cool." (yea, I went there), if they were trying at all.

Attention Waterblock Mfgs: You need to cool as much of the damn IHS as possible, in other words keep the IHS as a whole as cool as possible. You don't see 140MM tower coolers shipped with 80mm fans do you? If you don't, you'll just get a bunch of reviews about how a good aircooler or current AIO can match or beat your custom loop when it comes to OC. You are going to have to cool some crazy chips in the next few years, time for the Boots of Celerity (+5 Agi).

I wonder how many 8MM heatpipes they''ll squeeze into a "Full Cover" TR4 aircooler. You know they are coming. Oh, wait, looks like Noctua is starting the party with 6.

Well, that's a bit disappointing.

I have an EL Supremacy EVO on my 3930k right now and a fullcover on my Titan.

They both perform very well.

I'll have to wait for the performance testing to see how the smaller fin area actually impacts performance compared to the XSPC model.

I hope someone does variable pump pressures from low flow euro style to [H]igh flow Ikada or dual D5.

I don't mind high restriction blocks if they deliver higher performance.

I hope someone does variable pump pressures from low flow euro style to [H]igh flow Ikada or dual D5.

I don't mind high restriction blocks if they deliver higher performance.
I think the asetek ones are too restrictive whilst many open loop blocks are too open...

I like my EK Radiator, but it's 3 (wait, 4) years old. I've noticed a trend with EK in the last few years where they stopped pushing. You can see it readily in their GPU blocks, which have been essentially the same for 3 years. Sure, there hasn't been much from other brands, but at least they are trying (multi-port I/O, RGBs, AIB versions, crazy flow patterns).

Back to the CPU block. Besides the small area (where the outside 2mm of 2 sides are solid), it looks like the fin density isn't any higher then the others. I think they were relying on the IHS to be perfectly efficient, "Just kinda cover the cores and we'll be cool." (yea, I went there), if they were trying at all.

Attention Waterblock Mfgs: You need to cool as much of the damn IHS as possible, in other words keep the IHS as a whole as cool as possible. You don't see 140MM tower coolers shipped with 80mm fans do you? If you don't, you'll just get a bunch of reviews about how a good aircooler or current AIO can match or beat your custom loop when it comes to OC. You are going to have to cool some crazy chips in the next few years, time for the Boots of Celerity (+5 Agi).

I wonder how many 8MM heatpipes they''ll squeeze into a "Full Cover" TR4 aircooler. You know they are coming. Oh, wait, looks like Noctua is starting the party with 6.

High end Open loop ->Noctua->AIO.
Noctua tower coolers are exceptionally well made.

And on the topic of EK.
Their small pump have served me well so far, their GPU blocks are exceptional and really the best but their cpu blocks in terms of performance isn't much to write home about but their design is just clean and nice.

I have used both EK and Heatkiller GPU blocks over the years.
GPU-wise either company does well.
I have heatkiller on my 1080 Ti and had EKs on my previous 980 Tis.

As far as CPU blocks, I only use Heatkiller. They are coming out with a block for the Threadripper soon.
This EK block looks a little anemic.

just can't get around how they handled the failed plating fiasco

I have a peeled HF "supreme" right here to remind me

horrible company, avoid

You didn't have to wait long... EK Supremacy EVO Threadripper TR4 review

TL;DR
Bad performance all around. Not even able to hold a 4GHz overclock stable when mounted in the standard orientation.

That is disappointing. The original Supremacy EVO reviewed at the top of the pack back when it first came out, which is why I bought it.

It's disappointing that they have decided to cut corners.

I was under the impression that their problems were behind them after the nickel plating fiasco.

Back