Edge Router X Replacement

oMek

Gawd
I am a noob when it comes to networking. I have been running a ERX with a nanoHD AP. This has served me well with Comcast 1g/35mb.

Due to the 1TB data cap I decided to order 1g/1g fiber with no cap. I really do not want to use the provided router and I "think" the ERX will choke on the 1g/1g speeds?

Would prefer to keep the nanoHD as it covers my apartment well.

I need atleast 5+ rj45 ports, would prefer internal switched but would not be against adding a switch. 48v PoE would be nice but not required.

The biggest thing im looking for is form factor. They will either be on my desk or mounted to the wall behind it.

If the ER-X is presently doing fine currently at 1 Gb download, I don't see why it wouldn't be fine with the new service. Do you believe you'll be adding enough actual upload traffic to possibly choke it?

I'd adopt a wait-and-see approach, and if the ER-X proves it can't keep up, then consider a new router. If you wanted to stick with the EdgeRouter family it looks like the only unit that would work for you is the ER-12, unless you were willing to forgo the built-in switch.

The upload speed will be used but not fully atm, kinda just figured if i'm paying for it I should be able to access it all.

I think your right though with the wait and see approach.

Maybe put a bigger power supply to it if you havent already? Probably got a couple of bigger ones laying around.

I would wait and see. If your hell bent on just build your own with pfsense. If you want to get into the unifi eco system dream pro would be a good start if you need switch and want to add cameras

Maybe put a bigger power supply to it if you havent already? Probably got a couple of bigger ones laying around.
How would increasing the power supply help with the ability to handle more traffic?

How would increasing the power supply help with the ability to handle more traffic?

Not sure but the manual advises getting a larger one straight away (why then they don't supply a larger one anyway) and if the data/traffic goes up then the CPU usage goes up, the power draw goes up... If you are hitting the buffers on the router then maybe a better PSU might help.

For the sake of a 10 minute hunt in the tech junk drawer...

I swapped out the 500mA one for a 1000mA unit iirc I had a 1500mA one but I'm not pushing mine much.

Not sure but the manual advises getting a larger one straight away (why then they don't supply a larger one anyway) and if the data/traffic goes up then the CPU usage goes up, the power draw goes up... If you are hitting the buffers on the router then maybe a better PSU might help.

For the sake of a 10 minute hunt in the tech junk drawer...

I swapped out the 500mA one for a 1000mA unit iirc I had a 1500mA one but I'm not pushing mine much.

From the manual:
Passive PoE output on port eth4/PoE Out works as a passthrough and depends on the input power source.

If the included Power Adapter (12V, 0.5A) is used, there may not be sufficient passthrough to power another device because the EdgeRouter can consume up to 5 watts on its own.

So it's only relevant if running some kind of PoE device off of the ER-X.

The stock PSU is rated for 6W (12V * 0.5A). The ER-X will pull max 5W. Replacing the PSU with a larger unit will do nothing for the OP.

(Though it is kinda lame how they skimped on the PSU.)

Just wanted to update this thread, the ER-X worked fine for 940/940. I did end up buying a ER-12 though. We added another desktop, second AP, and PiHole. The extra rj45 ports are what made up my mind.

Just wanted to update this thread, the ER-X worked fine for 940/940. I did end up buying a ER-12 though. We added another desktop, second AP, and PiHole. The extra rj45 ports are what made up my mind.

You selling the ER-X? Is it stable overall? Was the upgrade to the ER-12 worth it in terms of performance?

Thanks!

You selling the ER-X? Is it stable overall? Was the upgrade to the ER-12 worth it in terms of performance?

Thanks!

Yeah it will be sold, Is there a performance diff between them? Yes. Do I notice? No.

Only really diff I seeing is the extra ports atm. The 12 should have more thruput and a quad core CPU vs a duel but I can not tell.

Have to say never seen my ER-X go over 30% CPU. Mostly sits at 1-7% usage.

Have to say never seen my ER-X go over 30% CPU. Mostly sits at 1-7% usage.

The CPU + hardware offload on the ER-X series are very good, especially considering the cost. RAM and especially flash storage is where they really crippled that line.

The CPU + hardware offload on the ER-X series are very good, especially considering the cost. RAM and especially flash storage is where they really crippled that line.
Yup. Of course, if they upgraded it much at all, they'd be undercutting their faster ER-4+ series pretty well for SOHO use.

I swapped out my ER-X for an ER-12 to better utilize/futureproof Smart Queue on my (currently) 300/300 net (may upgrade to at least 500/500).

I had been using passive PoE passthrough to power both my AP AC Lite and the 'X' but for some reason the '12' Wizard defaults the only PoE out port (eth9) for the WAN. Eth0 on the 12 is labelled PoE in, just like on the X. Is it possible/beneficial to reconfigure the ports around and use the Lite's injector for the whole shebang again?

Back