EB Games in Canada to cancel all PS3 pre-orders listed on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxCap

Limp Gawd
Today during a conference call, managers of EB Games stores in Canada were told that a list is being made of all pre-orders for Playstation 3's that have been posted for sale on eBay. Lists will be distributed to individual stores and all pre-orders that have appeared on eBay will be cancelled by EB in the very near future. According to the information I've been given, this is a joint initiative between EB Games, Sony and eBay. eBay's new policy regarding pre-order sales has made this possible by requiring that all pre-order listings include a photo of the receipt.

Source: http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20045

No good eBayer wouldn't blank out the receipt ID and name anyway on their picture, so who cares?

P.S. More strong-arming by arrogant Sony on forcing EB and eBay to adopt this policy.

lol... is this even legal? What the hell does it have to do with a retailer what someone does with their console after they've bought it?

Honestly, I think this is awesome. Scalpers are the scum of the Earth. I'm sure plenty of people will be pissed they can't make $500 off of being at EBGames 3 hours before they opened, but boohoo for you.

Psychotext said:
lol... is this even legal? What the hell does it have to do with a retailer what someone does with their console after they've bought it?

eBay dictates what can be listed. If Sony, eBay and EB/Gamestop make an agreement, they can do as they please. These are private voluntary listings.. eBay is not a goverment service and doesn't owe jack shit to anyone.

I dislike Sony, but I dislike scalpers even more. Shame on those who plan to rip off gamers in want of a PS3 on eBay. I'll laugh at each of them in the face if their pre-order is cancelled.

Then they're stuck with their PS3 that they probably didn't intend to play at all. $600 down the drain, LOL!

I hope the US EB/Gamestop stores do the same. :D

theNoid said:
eBay dictates what can be listed. If Sony, eBay and EB/Gamestop make an agreement, they can do as they please. These are private voluntary listings.. eBay is not a goverment service and doesn't owe jack shit to anyone.

This isn't ebay, this is EB games canceling pre-orders. At least read the post before commenting.

It's for all their benefits really. eBay doesn't get stuck with possible lawsuits, EB is responding to eBay's new policy, and Sony...well, they're already so deep in the shitter, they can't see the roll anymore.

Namork said:
Honestly, I think this is awesome. Scalpers are the scum of the Earth. I'm sure plenty of people will be pissed they can't make $500 off of being at EBGames 3 hours before they opened, but boohoo for you.

That's funny. People that didn't get a PS3 pre-orders bitch at people that got one and will sell it on ebay. If the people that didn't get a pre-order, really wanted one they would have been at store in line to get their damn pre-order before everyone else.

Note: This is not directly aimed at Namork, just generally speaking.

I don't see how EB can terminate your pre-order contract for putting it on Ebay.
I've heard there was a corporate policy to refuse a pre-order to anyone admitting it
was Ebay bound, but once they've taken your $100 (consideration) how can they lawfully cancel the contract ?

I have an EB pre-order myself and they certainly didn't make you sign a clause that if they find your PS3 pre-order on Ebay they can revoke it.
They said they can't guarantee you'll get it due to manufacturer shipping delays and shortages but not we can simply change our minds about it.

At any rate, you would have to be an idiot to list one on Ebay without blacking out any personal/traceable information.

Ebay issued strict guidelines for allowing people to put these presells up, now they are assisting in canning them, sounds like an easy lawsuit.

Personally I see nothing wrong with selling pre-orders on E-bay, or scalping in general. If someone wants something enough they are willing to pay the price, then that is their choice. No one is forcing anyone to bid $1000+ for a PS3 pre-order on E-bay, so it doesn't hurt anyone.

I have bought tickets to events in the past from scalpers when I missed being able to get them through direct channels myself, and that was my choice. Sure, I paid more than I would have if I had been on top of things and gotten them when they were released, but that was my choice, and if I thought it wasn't worth it, I would not have done it.

The PS3 (and in the past the X360 and the PS2) are similar circumstances, if it is worth it to someone, they will buy it, if they think it is too much, they won't. It's just the free market at work.

this will all be irrelevant, once people purchase them on november 17, they are allowed to do whatever they want with it and sell it for as much as they want...this only hampers people who already preordered one and listed it on ebay.

Namork said:
Scalpers are the scum of the Earth
no, scalpers are capitalists, and sell things for what their ACTUAL VALUE is. you might want to look into capitalism, communism isn't as financially successful.

santaliqueur said:
no, scalpers are capitalists, and sell things for what their ACTUAL VALUE is. you might want to look into capitalism, communism isn't as financially successful.

They operate closer to an ad hoc cartel. They buy up the majority of the stock in an item, and then resell it at grossly inflated prices to meet the demand they just created by buy up all the supply as fast as possible.

Namork said:
They operate closer to an ad hoc cartel. They buy up the majority of the stock in an item, and then resell it at grossly inflated prices to meet the demand they just created by buy up all the supply as fast as possible.

Considering any store offering pre-orders limited it to one per customer, and seeing as how I doubt any organized crime syndicate would bother with console sales via e-bay, you aren't looking at a cartel, but rather a certain number of individual sellers. While I am sure a number of pre-orders have been made with the intent to sell, due to the high prices seen on e-bay, and the huge demand, it seems that the majority pre-ordered the system because the actually wanted it.

I'm glad they are making this move. These douchebags that buy up consoles or games, then sell them for inflated prices, are destined to a special level of hell, filled with child molesters and those telephone salesmen who call just as you sit down for dinner.

These same people who claim ... oh its just capitalism are bigots through and through. These are the same people who complain when the price of gas goes up, or the cost of their utilities skyrockets.

Right before Christmas too .... merry fucking Christmas asshats, may we roast chestnuts over these type of people dieing in a fire.

You guys take this too seriosuly/personally.

They are playing the game, that's all. It's video games ffs, no need in really thinking these people are evil.

NulloModo said:
Considering any store offering pre-orders limited it to one per customer, and seeing as how I doubt any organized crime syndicate would bother with console sales via e-bay, you aren't looking at a cartel, but rather a certain number of individual sellers. While I am sure a number of pre-orders have been made with the intent to sell, due to the high prices seen on e-bay, and the huge demand, it seems that the majority pre-ordered the system because the actually wanted it.

Ad Hoc - For the special purpose or end presently under consideration

Cartel - A combination of independent business organizations formed to regulate production, pricing, and marketing of goods by the members.

I think an Ad Hoc Cartel is a rather accurate description of the massive swarm of scalpers that have descended onto recent hardware launches. It's a makeshift, special purpose group with the intent to control supply and demand for a period in the interest of fixing prices and making money. Just because they aren't incorporated doesn't mean they aren't acting as a Cartel (though I'm sure legally it makes all the difference in the world).

Ok, maybe the connotation is a little bit exaggerated, but I still think its accurate.

Unless they state anywhere that you cant sell it on eBay this will be a big legal problem.

EDIT : To the whiners out there...grow a set will ya? These people aren't out on some massive conspiracy to make little johnny gamer go without a PS3 for 6 months. They are simply a number of people who noticed an opportunity to make some money. They aren't a cartel because they aren't organizing for the purpose of controlling supply. They aren't organizing at all. A cartel is a number of individuals who ORGANIZE. If your so upset that you wont get a PS3 because other people want it more...well then maybe you should be camping out like the other people or paying $3000 like the rest.

Come on guys, the Ebayers aren't the ones creating the demand. Sony is by only shipping around 400,000 of these things!!!

Draax said:
I'm glad they are making this move. These douchebags that buy up consoles or games, then sell them for inflated prices, are destined to a special level of hell, filled with child molesters and those telephone salesmen who call just as you sit down for dinner.
You need to get a sense of perspective. What you've said there is deeply insulting to people that have been affected by REAL issues rather than some whiny little kid who wont get his PS3 for xmas. What others have said here applies: If you wanted one, you would have been in the queue at 4am like these "douchebags". My opinion on this is clear - You get paid for spending your time doing something, it's a job. These people are doing exactly that; getting money for spending their time standing in a line for 10 hours or whatever.

Am I doing it? No. Would I be if I wasn't in Europe? Probably, but it depends if I could make more money working rather than spending the same amount time in a line.

randy5554 said:
Come on guys, the Ebayers aren't the ones creating the demand. Sony is by only shipping around 400,000 of these things!!!

Exactly !
The blame lies with Sony and the ridiculously small # of units available at launch.
The scalpers are not controlling the supply side at all. :rolleyes:
Even if all 400,000 go on Ebay, they'll sell for way over msrp because of the demand.
Nobody is forcing people to pay high prices. The buyers choose to because they are so impulsive they have to have it NOW. Or else they make enough money not to care.

People whine about this mythical "real gamer" who just wants the system at msrp and will get screwed. Anybody paying attention and willing to put forth the effort could have pre-ordered one.
Try getting tickets to the Superbowl without paying $4000 a pop.

Due to the enormous demand, many people are rethinking their plans.
My intention was to keep one and sell one to finance the 1st.
But if the prices are astronomical, I would be a fool not to sell both and just rebuy
it in 3 months for msrp. Of course a PS3 is not worth $2,000 ! That's my opportunity cost if I don't sell.
If I keep it, I'm saying I'd rather have a PS3 at launch than what someone is willing to pay on Ebay. That money can pay for almost an entire semester of tuition. No brainer. :p

Psychotext said:
You need to get a sense of perspective. What you've said there is deeply insulting to people that have been affected by REAL issues rather than some whiny little kid who wont get his PS3 for xmas. What others have said here applies: If you wanted one, you would have been in the queue at 4am like these "douchebags". My opinion on this is clear - You get paid for spending your time doing something, it's a job. These people are doing exactly that; getting money for spending their time standing in a line for 10 hours or whatever.

Am I doing it? No. Would I be if I wasn't in Europe? Probably, but it depends if I could make more money working rather than spending the same amount time in a line.

See the thing is some people have real jobs, amongst other things ... like lives, not everyone can stand in line at 4am. If you think you deserve a handout for standing in a damned line, then it is clear who needs a sense of perspective. Do you get paid for standing in line at the DMV? how about your bank? maybe the super market? possibly the airport? Standing in a line is a job ... pfffff please.

You can justify this all you want ... you are only kidding yourself.

Draax said:

These same people who claim ... oh its just capitalism are bigots through and through. These are the same people who complain when the price of gas goes up, or the cost of their utilities skyrockets.

Right before Christmas too .... merry fucking Christmas asshats, may we roast chestnuts over these type of people dieing in a fire.

Draax said:
See the thing is some people have real jobs, amongst other things ... like lives, not everyone can stand in line at 4am. If you think you deserve a handout for standing in a damned line, then it is clear who needs a sense of perspective. Do you get paid for standing in line at the DMV? how about your bank? maybe the super market? possibly the airport? Standing in a line is a job ... pfffff please.

Are you joking? If you're just trying to troll, this isn't even remotely funny. I think you are the one in need of a sense of perspective, Mr. Draax.

GoldenTiger said:
Are you joking? If you're just trying to troll, this isn't even remotely funny. I think you are the one in need of a sense of perspective, Mr. Draax.

Does it look like I am joking? Saying I need a sense of perspective, when you are part of the camp that believes you deserve a handout for waiting in line .... now thats just rich.

Draax said:

So Draxx what is the demand for those groceries you stand in line for at the Supermarket? Not very much.

How about that drivers license you got renewed at the DMV that only you can use....not very much.

How about that boarding pass that only you can use...not very much.

Standing in line doing mundane every day tasks is a job, it is part of your daily life. Something that has to be done. Standing in line for a LUXURY item is something else.entirely.

It sounds to me like you are upset because you want a PS3 at launch, but dont want it enough to put the effort into actually getting one. Do you think if you scold people who resell theirs enough that you will then be able to just waltz into your local store on launch day at 10am and buy one? You my friend are the one who is deluding yourself, not the other way around.

Erasmus354 said:
So Draxx what is the demand for those groceries you stand in line for at the Supermarket? Not very much.

How about that drivers license you got renewed at the DMV that only you can use....not very much.

How about that boarding pass that only you can use...not very much.

Standing in line doing mundane every day tasks is a job, it is part of your daily life. Something that has to be done. Standing in line for a LUXURY item is something else.entirely.

It sounds to me like you are upset because you want a PS3 at launch, but dont want it enough to put the effort into actually getting one. Do you think if you scold people who resell theirs enough that you will then be able to just waltz into your local store on launch day at 10am and buy one? You my friend are the one who is deluding yourself, not the other way around.

Well you are categorically wrong, congratulations, I do not want a PS3. I am simply calling out all the people who seem to think they deserve something for standing in line, or want someone else to finance there own personal PS3. Quite simply there is no effort involved in standing in a damned line. When is the last time someone gave a pylon credit for the extreme amount of effort it put forth to stand there ...

It has little to do with the product, but rather the principle. Merry Christmas to you too :rollseyes:

The Toys R Us pre-order event was Sunday morning.
So unless you work on a Saturday night you don't have an excuse.
What's so hard about taking the day off to get something that is obviously so important ?

Bottom line I think most people are just too lazy to get off their asses and wait.
And saying it takes no effort to wait in a cold dark parking lot for 18 hours is laughable on its face.

its always the people who were too lazy to put forth the effort of actually going out and camping who bitch about others.

I wonder if these same people bitch when they get to popular new movies 5 minutes before showtime and the seats are all sold out?

Once again ... it DOES NOT require effort to stand in a line.

But hey, if making a quick buck means more to you then principles or ethics .. then that's your problem.

The movie ticket anology ... it fails horribly. A more apt anology would be the first person in line to see a new movie buying all the tickets, then selling them to people behind him in line for double the price.

Draax said:
Once again ... it DOES NOT require effort to stand in a line.

But hey, if making a quick buck means more to you then principles or ethics .. then that's your problem.

So it takes less effort to NOT stand in line and bitch about it the forum instead right? That must mean you are much lazier than everyone who actually did stand in line.

Tutelary said:
So it takes less effort to NOT stand in line and bitch about it the forum instead right? That must mean you are much lazier than everyone who actually did stand in line.

Yes it does take less effort to "not stand in line, and bitch about it on the forum" That doesn't mean you should be paid for it .... is there a point there? It takes less effort to not post on teh forums, then it does to post ... and yet people dont get paid to do it.

Lets try reading my posts ... its the principle of buying more then you need, I believe that's called gluttony, in order to sell to others at an inflated price. You had nothing to do with the design, manufacture, or advertising of the product. All you did was stand in line, and you think you deserve more of a profit in the sale of the product, then those who actually put work into it ... yeah thats some air tight logic right there.

Draax said:
Yes it does take less effort to "not stand in line, and bitch about it on the forum" .... is there a point there?

oh you already answered the question. thank you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back