Easy way to change Domain Controller domain name?

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
Is there an easy way to change the domain name of a Server 2008 Domain controller after you already have it up and running?

even though the guides from MS make it look like you just do a few bits here and there and it works it doesn't!

It may look like it has but down the ljne you will find major problems, I have done it a couple of times and both times it seems to have gone well and both times I have had issues, the annoying and worrying thig was both times the issues where different!

Renaming a domain is just bad. The last time I was asked to do it I rebuilt their domain (it was only 3 small sites)

I've done a domain rename on 2k3.....the domain rename went well and that part was fairly easy, the only hiccup was Exchange related...found the issue a few years later with activesynch when I began deploying smart phones to staff. Exchange still had a ghost leftover deep in there pointing to the old domain name. Microsoft support mopped that up fairly quickly by digging deep with adsiedit.

Sorry guys I don't think I made myself clear, I just want to rename the DC computer itself not the domain name it is on. Like i did not give it a name when i set it up and it just uses the random numbers and letters. I want to change that.

Sorry guys I don't think I made myself clear, I just want to rename the DC computer itself not the domain name it is on. Like i did not give it a name when i set it up and it just uses the random numbers and letters. I want to change that.
you need to demote the DC, remove it from AD, rename it, re-promote it.

you need to demote the DC, remove it from AD, rename it, re-promote it.

So it is ok to name a new DC the same name as an old one you just demoted and shutdown?

This means I will have to transfer roles to a different DC before doing this change. What a PITA.

Oh..the "netbios name" of the DC. When I read "domain name"...I thought...well..thought you mean..domain name, like the fqdn.

I dunno if I'd name the DC the same as the old DC. Something makes me think some "ghost" remnant of the old DC may cause a hiccup...and troubleshooting with the same netbios name of old and new DC may be tough.

Back