Easy help a member thread - which mobo and cpu for budget build - got 2gb pc5300/gpu

malicious

Supreme [H]ardness
i'm helping my friend build a budget gaming pc with some pc5300 ddr2 and a pci-e gpu he bought

any roccommendations for mobo or cpu

i'm thinking e4300 right? but which mobo?

oh and what's a good quality sufficient psu?

thanks,

mal

p.s. i think pc5300 is ddr2 667

thanks

Whats his budget? What vidcard does he have? Does he plan on OC'ing? What will he be doing with this system? What specific model ram does he have?

off the top of my head, the GA-965P-S3, E4300, XClio 450BL, Ultra Wizard (FAR from Frys), WD1600AAJS, NEC AD-7170S-0B... anything else you need?

Whats his budget? What vidcard does he have? Does he plan on OC'ing? What will he be doing with this system? What specific model ram does he have?

off the top of my head, the GA-965P-S3, E4300, XClio 450BL, Ultra Wizard (FAR from Frys), WD1600AAJS, NEC AD-7170S-0B... anything else you need?

Yeah what he said. :)

yea i think i might just go with that stuff you said.. not sure on the gpu

the board is probablly better than he needs for the ram he has but it will allow him to upgrade later

can you give me like 1 or 2 other options for psu

thanks,

mal

is this bull?
Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets.

can you give me like 1 or 2 other options for psu

That XClio 450BL (made by ChannelWell) is your best choice for the cheapest with good, solid quality -- for a budget midrange system. However, if he has a high end GPU, he'll probably need a bit more power. The XClio Stablepower 460W is good (made by enhance). The Enhance 5150GH 500W from eWiz.com is also good. If you go any higher, the Corsair 520W (made by seasonic) would be the best choice, imo. I believe all of those listed except the 450BL are 80+ efficiency.

what the diff between GA-965P-S3 and ds3?

The DS3 has solid state capacitors. Thats the main difference. There are other subtle differences, like fan headers and other things, but the main difference is the type of capcitors used. The solid state ones are supposedly more durable. People think they help with overclocking, but you don't need 500Mhz FSB with an E4300 anyhow.

is this bull?
Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets.

No. Thats the official response from Intel. Not all memory manufacturers follow the JEDEC spec, and non compliant memory will most likely work, with a little tweaking. Besides, you said he had DDR2-667 ram, so that notice doesnt apply to you at all.

//edit: you do know about the upcoming price cuts, right?

Back