EA Support just DELETED my L50 BC2 Character, then hung up on me.

DoubleTap

2[H]4U
I called EA support because my BF3 / Origin name is not the same as my main Character in Bad Company 2. I play on the same half dozen servers and a loose knit group of familiar Squad DM players. I keep seeing some of them in BF3, but nobody recognizes me.

First I tried the online name changer and it said every iteration of my BC2 name was unavailable.

So I call support and talk to the guy - who was pretty nice, and he tried to change my name and he said "oh, it's taken" - I said, it's probably taken by me.

So he goes "ok, I am going to try something - I hope it does not screw anything up"

"ok, as long as you can unscrew it"

Well, what he did was delete my BC2 character to try to free up the name.

I got kind of worried when he told me that so I tried to login - nope, GONE.

Then he tells me - hmm, I still cant change your Origin name, just pick a new one.

Wait? You just deleted my BC2 character, you tell me you can't get it back and you can't even change my name now? this is not OK, you can't just do that - we need to escalate this and get it fixed because I am extremely upset".

Yes, I do talk like that, even when I am really angry.

Then the guy got really quiet and hung up on me.

I can't believe their people could do something like that without some safeguards.

WTF? What would posses him to delete the character? I'd say try calling back and see what another rep can do for you or try talking to a supervisor or....I have no idea. I hope you got the rep's name so you can mention it if you call back.

Well I had started a chat request at the same time I dialed in, they answered at the same time but the chat guy took forever to say anything

So chat guy was still online after phone guy hung up:

Justin: Are you in contact with phone support?

you: Justin

you: the phone guy just Deleted my Bad Company 2 character and hung up on me

Justin: Ok, what is the name of that persona, I will try to look it up.

you: it was XXXXXXXXXX

you: he said he deleted it to try to let me use it for my Origin name, but he just deleted my character that I played for 1000 hours

Justin: I looked that up, it only comes up as a bfheroes_web persona.

you: it does not come up because he DELETED MY BAD COMPANY 2 CHARACTER

you: http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/XXXXXXXXXXX

you: you can see at that link - it exists - or it did until 10 minutess ago but its still in the stats database

Justin: Ok, I am going to check the case numbers, to try to find the documentation from phone support.

you: I asked for escalation and he hung up on me

you: I asked him to undelete my BC2 character, and he said he couldn't do that

Justin: Ok, I am going to look up the documentation, bear with me.

you: thanks, I am extremely distraught

you: it took me a year and a half to get to level 50 and he deleted it and said he cant recover it.

you: I really can't believe he just did that, I am freaking out about this

Justin: After looking at the documentation, the agent removed a persona, that would not remove a character.

you: well, I logged into Bad Company 2 while I was on the phone with him - that character is DELETED from Bad Company 2

you: and in my EA profile, it shows 2 other "personas" which are my 2 other characters in Bad Company 2

you: so I do believe that the persona is the character

you: can you escalate this and have a manager call me?

Justin: Ok, I will look in to this for you.

post this on that kotaku site or other gaming blog, i'm sure they would have a field day with it.
I really hope you get it figured out though, wow I would be livid. lvl 50 in bc2 took some time!

Wow i laughed in disbelief. They'll probably not recover it and give you a 5$ discount on your next purchase for the inconvenience.

I called EA support because my BF3 / Origin name is not the same as my main Character in Bad Company 2. I play on the same half dozen servers and a loose knit group of familiar Squad DM players. I keep seeing some of them in BF3, but nobody recognizes me.

First I tried the online name changer and it said every iteration of my BC2 name was unavailable.

So I call support and talk to the guy - who was pretty nice, and he tried to change my name and he said "oh, it's taken" - I said, it's probably taken by me.

So he goes "ok, I am going to try something - I hope it does not screw anything up"

Then he tells me - hmm, I still cant change your Origin name, just pick a new one.

Wait? You just deleted my BC2 character, you tell me you can't get it back and you can't even change my name now? this is not OK, you can't just do that - we need to escalate this and get it fixed because I am extremely upset".

I can't believe their people could do something like that without some safeguards.

Well I had started a chat request at the same time I dialed in, they answered at the same time but the chat guy took forever to say anything

you: he said he deleted it to try to let me use it for my Origin name, but he just deleted my character that I played for 1000 hours

you: you can see at that link - it exists - or it did until 10 minutess ago but its still in the stats database

Justin: Ok, I am going to check the case numbers, to try to find the documentation from phone support.

you: it took me a year and a half to get to level 50 and he deleted it and said he cant recover it.

Justin: After looking at the documentation, the agent removed a persona, that would not remove a character.

you: well, I logged into Bad Company 2 while I was on the phone with him - that character is DELETED from Bad Company 2

you: and in my EA profile, it shows 2 other "personas" which are my 2 other characters in Bad Company 2

The bastards.

Unbelievable.

At this point I can't believe EA isn't trying to look completely retarded, customer service wise. Origin is some of the worst customer service I've ever had to deal with.

Preposterous.

Wow i laughed in disbelief. They'll probably not recover it and give you a 5$ discount on your next purchase for the inconvenience.

which sounds like ample consideration since it is a video game, not real life or anything

They're likely in the middle of a massive hiring binge right now due to BF3's release and you likely got some new rep who had no idea wtf he was doing. If you call back and ask to speak with a supervisor, they should immediately transfer you over to one (unless they really want to lose their job). That would be the best way to get shit sorted out I suspect.

Originally Posted by DoubleTap

Poppycock

No id is ever really deleted. I'm sure it's in some deactivated state and that's why it's not available to create. that rep doesn't have access to the db tools that will allow him to restore the id. Call back and ask for a supervisor.

Madness.

Inconceivable

This is why I refuse to support EA and am not buying BF3.

They did the same shit to me except they removed all the steam serials from my EA ID, making all my EA steam games unusable in multiplayer (would say my account wasn't valid for this game). They offered me free copies of the games they fucked up on Origin to compensate me.

After I made a thread here about it a Steam dev contact me privately and spent the better half of 5 hours generating new serials for me to tie to a my EA ID so I could play them online again.

FUCK EA.

Good luck duder, you have two possible outcomes here:
pTlwE.png

Update:

First, the guy that hosed me probably was new, but that is a lot of power to give someone.

Second, they have not been able to recover my BC2 character - it is escalated, but I am not hopeful.

Third - they gave me an extra copy of BF3 Limited Edition for my son and a Limited Edition of Crysis 2 for me.

Also, everyone else was very cool and spent a lot of time trying to help me. It turned out better than I expected.

I consider the matter resolved.

Here are my BC2 stats:
http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/Double Tap 1911

I could not take Double Tap 1911 because someone registered it on PSN in 2008, before me.

Oh well. Now I am Double Tap 2011.

I'm not sure what made me laugh harder, the flow chart or this:
"this is not OK, you can't just do that - we need to escalate this and get it fixed because I am extremely upset."

Glad you got it resolved, though. I wish I could trade my BC2 soldier in for BF3 and Crysis2 because I'm damn sure not going to pay anything for them :D

p.s., if *hypothetically* I was Double Tap 1911 on PSN, would you send me BF3 and Crysis 2 if I released the name?

Are you sure this didn't happen in an Apple store? I hear they delete user data all the time. It's in the script.

At this point I can't believe EA isn't trying to look completely retarded, customer service wise. Origin is some of the worst customer service I've ever had to deal with.

At least you can actually talk on the phone with EA. Steam's support is fucking atrocious.

I wonder if they will still send you tons of spam under that name like Microsoft does when they lockout gamertags that haven't been logged in for a couple months. I love getting 3 copies of every stupid xbox email to the same address because they can't release "expired" gamertags.

At least you can actually talk on the phone with EA. Steam's support is fucking atrocious.

Why because you cant call and bitch?
This system makes it so the babies cant call every 5 minutes crying about their problem not being resolved as if they are the only person in the world that exists...(coming from a lowly helpdesk peon)

I myself prefer to not be forced to speak to a person sometimes. I like to email a ticket in and wait. but thats just me.You can't possibly say you have nothing else to do while you wait. Typically their pretty good about getting back to you the same day, if not in a few hours.

Last edited:
Wow, that sucks.

I want the BF3 beta taken away from my games. I have read that even though it is uninstalled, only they can take it from your account? That is pretty silly, and now I am scared to call them. :eek:

Sorry to hear about your ordeal :(

On a slightly related note, does it seem somewhat ridiculous the number of names that are unavailable on Origin?

Apparently not only was 'Hailwood' was taken (which I've been using for ~15 years without any issues), but every iteration I could possibly think of that was similar was also taken. It would be interesting to understand what unholy number of databases they are drawing the names from.

Wow, that sucks.

I want the BF3 beta taken away from my games. I have read that even though it is uninstalled, only they can take it from your account? That is pretty silly, and now I am scared to call them. :eek:

lol...but if they mess up and delete BF3:LE instead, they might compensate you with an extra copy of BF3 and Crysis 2 LE like the OP. Steam wouldn't compensate you even if they did eff up something -> generic response to e-mail to end it.

Mind-boggling

Unimaginable!

lol...but if they mess up and delete BF3:LE instead, they might compensate you with an extra copy of BF3 and Crysis 2 LE like the OP. Steam wouldn't compensate you even if they did eff up something -> generic response to e-mail to end it.

While that may be true, I have never had to use steams customer service. Not saying tons of people havent, just not I.

Im really anal about icons and such, I hate having the beta in my games folder, when its been uninstalled. Really trying to overlook it!

I'd slap a ho.

Last edited:
you were very lucky.....

I know one person and one person only that ever got their shit back from something like this. After dealing with the EA forums for years now, I have seen all sorts of similar issues and they NEVER get anything back.

Incredulous!

I know it sucks, but I couldn't help laughing a little bit.

My mind is reeling with the level of suckitude the OP has endured.

and this is why I refuse to use Origin.

that really sucks OP. I'd be extremely pissed

Back