EA: Madness Returns

Yippee38

2[H]4U
I bought Alice: Madness Returns last August (2014) on Steam. I've played it off an on since then. Last night I tried to play it again. Instead of opening, I got an EA window telling me that I had to activate the game to play it by logging into EA's service.

I contacted EA support via chat. Their solution was, "We recommend that you play our games through Origin."

My response was, "Ok. I'll uninstall the game."

I can't figure out why I suddenly need to activate a game that I've been playing for over a year.

Did you register it with origin? Get your key from steam and register it on origin.

Did you register it with origin? Get your key from steam and register it on origin.

I can't remember if I did when I first got it. I just don't understand why it's asking me to do this now, after more than a year.

I can't remember if I did when I first got it. I just don't understand why it's asking me to do this now, after more than a year.

I don't understand why you didn't try what tech support said. Activation can happen on some changes. Could have even been a Microsoft patch(there was a recent patch involving securing)

Origin/Ea tech support is top notch. If you can't register just call them back and they make sure you get it in your account. If there is one thing ea got right lately it's their tech support.

You'll even be surprised how many of your old ea games you can register in origin as well. I think I triple my origin library just registering old games i had. And those that wouldn't register I would call tech support and they would add it to my account no issues

I don't understand why you didn't try what tech support said. Activation can happen on some changes.

Because I don't want/need Origin on my computer.

Could have even been a Microsoft patch(there was a recent patch involving securing)

Interesting. I didn't know MS patches could cause games to lose their registration with EA. That's weird.

I guess there isn't any more to discuss....

We've all heard this same type before.. when Steam came out.. when Origin came out (and we are obviously still hearing that one).. when Uplay came out..

Same here, I don't want Origin on my PC so I don't buy any EA games for PC - only X1 where I also have EA Access.

I recently tried the full game trial for the new Need for Speed game. For some reason that game is mandatory always online. When you start the game it automatically jumps into someone's multiplayer game. Despite a fiber connection on my end this process was taking me 15-20 minutes just to start the game. By the time it loads I don't have time to play anymore - TERRIBLE!

That Alice game has had issues from the start. For some reason I thought it was a GFWL game that was broken due to issue with that system, but I definitely had issues getting it to launch multiple times and I haven't tried it in a couple years now.

If it's any consolation, the one time I did get it to work, I got tired of it and quit within an hour of starting it. Something about the controls, camera system, platformer mechanics, and general pacing of the game just made it not fun to play for me. Due to the subject matter and style of the game I really wanted to love it, but after trying it I'm not too worried that it's practically unplayable through Steam.

That Alice game has had issues from the start. For some reason I thought it was a GFWL game that was broken due to issue with that system, but I definitely had issues getting it to launch multiple times and I haven't tried it in a couple years now.

If it's any consolation, the one time I did get it to work, I got tired of it and quit within an hour of starting it. Something about the controls, camera system, platformer mechanics, and general pacing of the game just made it not fun to play for me. Due to the subject matter and style of the game I really wanted to love it, but after trying it I'm not too worried that it's practically unplayable through Steam.

I haven't gotten that far in it, but I am stuck. I'm in a place where I have to fight 3 or 4 of the guys that use forks as weapons. They are tough to kill. I used to start it up, try it 3 or 4 times, then give up. ;) Not anymore I guess.

I understand the OP's concern. I'm a big Battlefield and Bioware fan so I don't mind having Origin, but I refuse to go beyond Steam/Origin. Having more clients and your library spread out is annoying and simply increases the risk of losing access to games down the road. You can argue Steam is the lowest risk because it is the largest player in the market.

This came up recently as I found Witcher 3 cheap but it was a GOG key only, not Steam. I love CDPR but I am not installing a 3rd game library client for a single game.

At some point it has to be less about the fluff/ drama and more about the just playing games. Let it all go and just play the games. I feel like I'm in some sort of middle school Bizaro world

You'll lose access to more games via Windows and directx progression then you will to clients (I have a case full of games I have to keep a win98 machine around to play)

Last edited:
I fixed it!

http://outcome.nofate.me/

This came up recently as I found Witcher 3 cheap but it was a GOG key only, not Steam. I love CDPR but I am not installing a 3rd game library client for a single game.

Good thing for you then that you don't have to install anything other than the game, just download the installer and enter the key? Hurray GOG and DRM-free releases? It /has/ kind of been their "thing" from day 1.

Interesting. I'll have to check that out more when I have time. Thanks for posting that!

Good thing for you then that you don't have to install anything other than the game, just download the installer and enter the key? Hurray GOG and DRM-free releases? It /has/ kind of been their "thing" from day 1.

Yeah. GOG doesn't require you to install their client to play their games. That's part of what's cool about them.

I am kinda getting irritated with having some games on Steam, and some not. I wish I could access them all in one place. OTOH, I wish I had CDs for every game I own. If Valve ever goes belly up......

Issues with origin notwithstanding; Alice Madness Returns is a pretty awesome game and it's sad that the game did so poorly in sales. Had some top notch graphics, really top notch gameplay, and generally was an awesome platformer.

Back