EA Closes SimCity Studio

HardOCP News

[H] News
Electronic Arts released a statement today saying that the company has closed down SimCity studio Maxis Emeryville.

The news was revealed on Twitter by SimCity lead gameplay scripter and designer Guillaume Pierre, and confirmed in a statement by EA. "Well it was a fun 12 years, but it's time to turn off the lights and put the key under the door. #RIPMaxisEmeryville," Pierre tweeted earlier this afternoon. In subsequent tweets, he clarified that "the shop is closing down," and "Everyone's out of a job."

FCjbJt8.jpg

Wow EA dug the grave for Maxis and now they buried them. What a scumbag company.

aww... that last photo actually hits right in my childhood feels... glad I grew up in the golden age of pc games:(

Now, how long does EA plan to maintain the authentication servers?

I will never forgive that scumbag company for what they did to Maxis as well as Origin. The Ultima series deserved better as well as Simcity

Buying out competitors, claiming their assets, and killing their name. How many more game studios will fall before the SEC steps in to prevent this hostile attempt to monopolize the video game industry?

Wait, hold up. This studio existed merely to create SimCity games? What is the sense in that.

What a shame, guess Simcity 2000 is the last real city builder I'll get to play. :(

Buying out competitors, claiming their assets, and killing their name. How many more game studios will fall before the SEC steps in to prevent this hostile attempt to monopolize the video game industry?

if they were aiming for a monopoly, they'd NOT destroy the assets they bought.

For anyone that was supremely disappointed with SC2013 looking for a true SimCity successor, check out Cities: Skylines that is coming out in less than a week. The first Let's Play videos are coming out and it looks incredible. If you consider yourself a SimCity fan you HAVE to check it out!

Probably never. I don't think they really pay attention to this particular industry, especially because there is some competition.

Wait, hold up. This studio existed merely to create SimCity games? What is the sense in that.

A lot of studios are a one trick pony. Square Enix pretty much does Final Fantasy, ID pretty much does Wolfenstein and Doom games, Blizzard is WoW and Diablo, Bethesda does Fallout and Elder Scrolls, and so on. Normally, this is not a problem as they each have their own place in the heart of gamers and usually do not terribly disappoint with the exception of ID. ID can regain my respect if they nail Doom 4 as Wolfenstein was not as good as I had hoped.

Now, how long does EA plan to maintain the authentication servers?

One of the later updates gave us offline mode. Recently they tossed out online multiplayer. You could see it coming that they were dropping support for this game. Didn't know they were dropping the whole studio.

EA. What a bunch of bastards.

tumblr_lkbwna5a8f1qa601io1_r1_500.gif

Cities: Skylines looks excellent based on the videos lately. Definitely going to check that out. Looks like it might be what SimCity wanted to be, but failed to deliver on. A great city simulator.

I'll never forgive EA for what they did to Westwood and Bioware. The loss of Westwood was a huge blow to the RTS genre. And Mass Effect 3 was garbage and shit all over the legacy of an otherwise great franchise.

EA: Hey Maxis, we want you to bastardize the next release of this series with a bunch of horse shit noone wants
Maxis: ....k
EA: Hey Maxis all that horse shit ruined the brand reputation, your fired.

if they were aiming for a monopoly, they'd NOT destroy the assets they bought.

it's called killing the competition, still anti-competitive... if you buy everyone out and close them, you are all alone

What is it going to take to end EA for good?

That is just about all of the old studios killed by EA now.

don't buy their games, I haven't and I've survived

While EA may have shutdown these studios, what's to keep the geniuses behind some of these great games, Will Wright, Sid Meyer, from starting again, but under their own terms instead of EA's. Because of the internet, publishing and distribution is a lot easier.

While EA may have shutdown these studios, what's to keep the geniuses behind some of these great games, Will Wright, Sid Meyer, from starting again, but under their own terms instead of EA's. Because of the internet, publishing and distribution is a lot easier.

+1

Except that internet and social are not up-front money and too much of a personal effort. They would have to be pissed off AND inspired to really get something off the ground. :\

Here's to hoping..

At the end of the day someone in each of those game studios signed on the bottom line for a wad of cash. They knew what they were doing.

Who is to blame? Not 100% with EA*.

*Not a fan of EA but they are not totally guilty here.

All the devs from those past companies need to unite under a new company and take back gaming!

Not surprised at all. I picked up SC on sale, $15 or something, its fun, but nothing like the previous versions, and it has some mouse cursor issues on my machine.
EA sucks balls.

Amdgamer .... ID Software was bought out by Bethesda. Also, John Carmack went to work for Oculus and then Facebook bought them.

So I am pretty sure you will never ever see anything as fast paced of a shooter like the Quake or Doom series ever again unless Epic Games with the Unreal Series blows us away with something new.

Back