E8400 & Tuniq Tower overclock temps

dudg

n00b
Ok, so I just installed my new Tuniq tower and AS5. I overclocked to 3.6 and I'm getting 40 deg. idle and up to 60 load on CPUID Hardware Monitor. Don't these temps sound a little high or does the AS5 need to cure?

Little on the high side. what voltage are you running at?
Case? Fans?
Gotta paint the whole picture here.

Sorry I have an Antec 300 case with both stock fans one 120 on med setting and one 140 on low setting. Voltages were not touched at 1.28 V.

Also running Tuniq fan at 1700 RPM

I have a e8400 inside the Antec 300 with the stock rear fan on high and the top fan on medium.
Real temp shows 39c idle and 64c load under P95 blend at 72F ambient temp.

I'm thinking about getting a Xigmatek S1283 to lower my temps. I'm using the stock Intel Cooler with the TIM that was pre-applied to the HSF.

Ok, so I just installed my new Tuniq tower and AS5. I overclocked to 3.6 and I'm getting 40 deg. idle and up to 60 load on CPUID Hardware Monitor. Don't these temps sound a little high or does the AS5 need to cure?

Many posts have stated that CPUID HWMonitor reports Core Duo temps too high. The most recommended program for monitoring Core Duo's (that I have seen) is RealTemp. On my 8400, the difference in temp is usually about 10C, with RealTemp reporting the lower number.

Disclaimer -- I'm an OC'ing noob, so I may be totally off-base.

Use Real Temp. it has the correct TJ max for 45nm processors.

On my e8600 and Tuniq, i'm normally about 60-61 with Orthos

I looked into the TJmax setting and I'm not sure what is right. Intel has an official document on thier site that says it is 105. A lot of people swear by the 95 number though.

What I DO know.
TJ max in Realtemp is 95, everything else is 105

Correct setting is 100

Source?

Like a real source, not just some thread where some people got together and decided it was. Cause I've read threads like that and every thread they decide something different.

From Intel, the link I had to the release is dead, but I wouldn't say it if I wasn't 100% sure

45nm Desktop Dual-Core Processors
Intel Core 2 Duo processor E8000 and E7000 series - 100°C

45 nm Desktop Quad-Core Processors
Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q9000 and Q8000 series - 100°C
Intel Core 2 Extreme processor QX9650 - 95°C
Intel Core 2 Extreme processor QX9770 - 85°C

So heres the deal. Tonight after work I changed the cpu voltage to 1.15. Have been running Prime95 for over a half hour and temps are staying under an ice cold 45 deg. So either the voltage change helped, or the AS5 cured and made a big difference.

So heres the deal. Tonight after work I changed the cpu voltage to 1.15. Have been running Prime95 for over a half hour and temps are staying under an ice cold 45 deg. So either the voltage change helped, or the AS5 cured and made a big difference.

Voltage drops make a huge difference

Right it wasn't the curring of the AS5 it is the .13 voltage drop. The more voltage you feed the cpu the more the heatsink has to take care of dumping off. 45 loaded is very good temps. :cool:

Try lapping your CPU.

This CANT be really EVGA stating to Lap your new proc?

I did my Q6600, only because I gave two shits about the warranty and will clock it till it dies. Don't lap your proc to solve your heat issues, its not needed.

My E6750 is running a bit warm with my newly installed Tuniq. 65c at 3.4ghz 1.39v(to accomodate vdrooper). That temp is at load. Idle is about 36c.

I'll keep messin with it before I start spazzing...maybe I can drop to 1.37v.

This CANT be really EVGA stating to Lap your new proc?
It's not a verified EVGA-rep. And even if it was, they don't warranty your intel CPU :p

I did my Q6600, only because I gave two shits about the warranty and will clock it till it dies. Don't lap your proc to solve your heat issues, its not needed.

Your 100% right. Lapping might get you 1C, maybe 2C if your really lucky. If 1C really matters to you, go waste/enjoy 6 hours of your life for a super mirror lap. Otherwise, spend the 6 hours gaming :D

I agree. I see the point of lapping but again I don't. I am only taking my E8400 to 3.6. So a few deg. either way is not a big deal. And for 6 hours of work I don't think it is worth it.

I agree. I see the point of lapping but again I don't. I am only taking my E8400 to 3.6. So a few deg. either way is not a big deal. And for 6 hours of work I don't think it is worth it.

There's really no point in lapping most modern CPUs since heat is nearly always not the limiting factor in an overclock (when dealing with above ambient cooling - sub-ambient is a different story). Your temps and settings are looking pretty good, so I would agree with you and say leave it how it is.

Dudg, yeah you shouldn't OC and keep the voltage at auto cause it will scale incorrectly. What you did was correct in dropping the voltage and that was the sole reason for your heat problem. Either try raising your OC now or lowering your voltage until you notice instability or errors then bump it up a notch or 2.

Back