Hey,

I just built my new system Saturday.

E8400 stock
Big Typhoon Cooler
Antec 900 Case
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L (with newest bios)
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066
BFG 880gt

I had the stock cooler on my e8400 until today. I removed the included heatpad and applied arctic silver 5 instead. I was getting temp's in the bios of 70C.

I check in Core temp and I was getting 70-75 in there as well, and when I run prime95, it would go past 100C to where i would shut it off.

Today I installed the big typhoon expecting a HUGE drop in temps, but I didnt get what I expected. Core temp and bios still reads 70, except now it hardly changes. even while being fully used in prime95, it stays at 69-71. I checked Everest and I was getting the same temps as all my other programs.
~70 core1 and core2
but then the "CPU Temp" was around 22c-25c.

I don't know what else to do. My case has excellent ventilation. My 8800gt runs around 51c under load. Do I have a faulty chip, or should I really believe these ratings. My main purpose in buying this chip was overclocking, but I want to know what my actual temperatures are.

Please help... Thanks!

Also, here is a current everest SS.

http://img251.imageshack.us/my.php?image=everestzz0.png

alot of people are saying the E8400's temperature reporting isn't accurate, especially one core over the other. My motherboard actually reports the CPU temperature as 127C but Core Temp reports it as 20C.

At first, the motherboard (IP35 Pro) would not even boot up because the CPU Thermal Protection function would not let my motherboard post, so I shut down that function and it works fine now.

Basically what I'm saying is that, your motherboard's BIOS might need update, and if that doesn't do you any good, it might be some kind of faulty reporting even though the chip works fine

I would first go into motherboard BIOS and turn off the CPU's Thermal Protection feature. If that doesn't work, I would check to see if the CPU cooler is installed correctly. Then check the voltage in your BIOS to see if the voltage is actually around 1.1-1.2v. Then if everything looks fine, I would try to run orthos and see what happens after temp goes to 100C. Most likely, if it's faulty reporting, orthos would proceed just fine and you would probably have no problems. You can OC from there.

I would agree with the post above mine. The one I have runs 22c. in a DFI, I am going to put it in a GiG like yours and I will post back

this is so weird. I actually did a small OC on stock voltage to 3.2 and I was receiving lower core temperatures. instead of the usual constant ~70, it now stays at ~65C idle and under full load. (in coretemp and everest)

this is so weird. I actually did a small OC on stock voltage to 3.2 and I was receiving lower core temperatures. instead of the usual constant ~70, it now stays at ~65C idle and under full load. (in coretemp and everest)

It could be your motherboard Bios. Make sure it's definitly the latest BIOS that support the 45nm. Another thing to try is to check your motherboard manual and clear CMOS.

Do a test and see how high the temp go up to. If it goes up to 100c without the computer shutting down on its own, then the reading might be wrong.

But make very sure that your CPU and heatsink have good contact once again making sure that you have it properly seated.

I had a e6600 running at 26-28 idle, 40 under load, now I am running an e8400, idle temps in high 40s, 60 under full load, which seems high. I think it is the bios, as this chip should be running cooler. Even at stock speeds, i was right around 40 degrees with the e8400. I felt the base of my cpu cooler, it wasn't nearly as hot as my GPU, which idles around 45. I have a LianLi case with great airflow. The temp readings could be right, but I am hoping it is the bios reading it wrong, I am currently running beta version 16.04 for IP35 Pro.

Check to see if you have the latest Everest to properly monitor 45nm temps.

Also, my brother has a comparable system, better cpu cooler, same MB, and runs comparable temps to mine.

I have the lastest bios for the board. F8a. I think it's weird that overclocking it lowered the core temp, but it would still never change more than 1 degree under idle or load.

right now I have it back at stock settings, still idling and loading at 70-71 on both cores, but the "cpu temperature" is at 20 idle 34 load.

Right now I'm running my E8400 at stock, and during idle is showing 44 degrees, while uGuru is showing 127 degrees (yep).

I can probably blame it on the fact that there's no real BIOS update for the IP35 pro yet, I'm using the Tuniq TX-1 grease (which is a POS... felt almost chalky), but still, with a Tuniq and these temps it's way to high to feel safe.

Going to wait till I got everything in order before I try anything fancy.

Using a Asus P5E-VM HDMI. Core Temp 0.96.1 readings on both cores are 44C, doesn't seem to move much. Asus PC probe II v1.04.29 gives a reading 32C and MB temp of 37C. By the way the CPU temp on the Asus utility is below the lowest threshold setting so I'm getting a alarm. Too cool?! I think others suggesting that the software hasn't caught up may be correct.

I used AS5 and will get out my infrared thermometer to try to shoot at the base of the Zerotherm Nirvana to get some readings.

I'm having similar problems here as well. According to Everest and PC Wizard my CPU is idle at 60C! Stress testing rockets things up over 100C and trips a shutdown. After the last shutdown I checked the bios temp...which was 100C. WTF!?

ASUS Maximus Formula (latest BIOS)
4 GB Mushkin DDR800
750 GB SATA Seagate 7200rpm
eVGA 8800 GTS 512
Windows Vista Ultimate (64bit, i.e. thanks to crappy MS cant use Core Temp)
Coolermaster Stacker 832 (cavernous case)
Intel e8400
Stock Cooler

I did have trouble sitting the cooler initially but it did appear to be secure (pins were through the holes). I'm going to replace the stock cooler with a Zaltman 9500 and the paste with Arctic Silver 5 and see if it isn't the crappy stock cooler and my initial poor seating job that screwed things up.

use coretemp 0.95.4 for vista 64. go into options (in any version) and check off delta to tjunction temp. assuming (as coretemp does) that tjmax for wolfdale is 100c, subtract the reading you get from 100, and this will be your temp.
this reading (delta to tj max) is taken directly from the dts, and when it reaches 0, your pc will shut down. of course, coretemp could be mistaken and tjunction max could be 85c or any other number.

Temps are a known problem with the 8400s. The diodes that read the temps are weird on the wolfdales and Intel had yet to release any info about it so people are saying that the CPU temp is more accurate then reading the Core temps.

not overheating, but figured i'd share my xp.

running the gigabyte x38-dq6 with the newest bios (F7) running @ 25c idle w/default settings and a zalman 9700 led hsf. very happy! :)

I have no idea what to believe with the e8400 temperatures. Bios shows idle at boot in the high 20s. Within Windows, I get the following temps, which seem high (idle 45-50, load 56-63). I am using a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L with a Zerotherm Nirvana (Artic Silver 5).

Idle:
tempsidlerf5.png

Load:
temploadtu0.png

Any idea what to believe?

OK, I'm almost convinced the issue is with my fan (at least partially) since the damn thing absolutely refuses to sit properly. Two of the push posts refuse to snap into place and when I mange to get one in, attempting its diagonal opposite pops it back up again. Unless, of course, I'm absolutely retarded (a possibility that hadn't failed to occur to me). Unfortunately my new fan won't get here until Monday and I won't be able to install it until Tuesday night (boo!).

Sitting in BIOS yesterday I watched the temperature start at some 60C and steadily climb its way up to about 95C until I killed the system lest something go boom.

Does your heatsink get very hot at 95C?
If not, the temps are likely to be bogus.

Right now I'm running my E8400 at stock, and during idle is showing 44 degrees, while uGuru is showing 127 degrees (yep).

I can probably blame it on the fact that there's no real BIOS update for the IP35 pro yet, I'm using the Tuniq TX-1 grease (which is a POS... felt almost chalky), but still, with a Tuniq and these temps it's way to high to feel safe.

Going to wait till I got everything in order before I try anything fancy.

The current release BIOS does not support the wolfdale yet. You must download the BETA Bios 4. Coretemp does not work the wolfdales yet.

After updating BOTH my BIOS to beta 4 and to the latest uGuru i'm Idling at 18*c at stock frequency.

Mine is running at 127c according to my BIOS
I have an ABIT IP35 Pro

Update your BIOS with the newest BETA Bios avalible on Abit's forums.
I believe it's fixed that issue for alot of people. At least to an extent. People still arent getting perfectly accurate temps.

According to Core Temp, Core 0 is running at 80C (always) and Core 1 is at 37 always. SpeedFan says my CPU is at 67C.

Using an ASUS P5K-E

this has to be faulty readings. my cpu shows 49/50c idle temps (on each core) whether my vcore is 1.10v or 1.40v. this is with coretemp and hwmonitor. but ite smartguardian, bios and the "cpu" temp from hwmonitor shows 18c at idle (ambient temp here) and around 40c at load with 1.4v vcore. the only other poreason for the difference between "core" temps and "cpu" temps would be that these chips make horrible contact with the ihs.

Just installed my new E8400 as well. Having similar issues as the above posters. With a Zalman CNPS 9700 LED and AS5, my temps never move from 43c/42c respectively. I sometimes see the second core drop to 41c, but I'm fairly certain they aren't reporting properly. If I slow down the fan to minimum 1000 rpms, temp's dont change; likewise, at 100% fan speed, temps equally do not change. Even under load with 110ish firefox tabs, visual studio 2005 with a 300k sku database query running and 2 instances of world of warcraft in the background, temps still don't move but a degree or two.

Even under all that, the heatsink is still ice cold to the touch, so I'm fairly certain this thing is running quite cool.

*edit* -

bumped it up to 3.6 (400x9). temps flux a bit more fluidly now, with core1 sitting at a solid 43 and core2 flopping back and forth between 46 and 49 idle. Still seems way off to me, as that's between ~110 and 120ish degrees F, and the heatsink is still literally ice cold to the touch, so I'm still 95% sure these temps aren't accurate.

As an aside, anyone else notice cpu-z improperly reporting stats? I'm set at 400x9 @ 1.125v, and here's what cpu-z shows:

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/2339/e84002p4rm9.jpg

As an aside, anyone else notice cpu-z improperly reporting stats? I'm set at 400x9 @ 1.125v, and here's what cpu-z shows:

Just installed mine late last night on stock clock and cpu-z will report 333x9, then change to 333x6, then back and forth. Feature or bug? ;)

turn off thermal control/c1e/eist stuff in bios. it will vary your multiplier when idle, or hot. so i guess that would be a "feature". to the guy running 1.125 vcore, and cpuz showing 1.52v, i dont know what to tell you. sometimes your bios version will effect these readings, ie with one bios coretemp shows my vid as 1.0375v, another version shows 1.125v.

contacted EVGA (i have a 680i SLI A1 w/E8400))...they said it was a BIOS issue and they are working on it for a future update...so i would assume other mobo companies would also be working on the issue...

I'd like someone to volunteer to pull the fan on their chip and see what coretemp reads when it starts throttling - that'd be one way to see if the temps are right or not. Mine idles in the 50s no matter what I do with the voltage or speed - loads into the 70s. I'd really like to know the actual temp because I'm at 4.0 with only 1.26 volts to the CPU - I'd like to try for 4.5 but not without good temp readings.

Update: Well, I gave it a shot. Fired up Orthos with the stress cpu option and pulled the cord on the fan. Temp slowly climbed to 104C in coretemp and stopped there. Couldn't tell for 100% that it was throttling - I had throttle watch on and it had some strange dips right around the time it hit 104C, but as it kept going they went away. CPU-Z started reporting fluctuating VIDs around the same time though, so I think it was throttling in some way or the other. After a while at 104C the temps started acting flaky - showing -20C on one core, then 127C on the other. At that point I ran out of nerve and plugged the fan back in. The heatsink (Ultra-120) was really hot when I plugged the fan back in, so it was definitely dumping a lot of heat off the chip. On the plus side, it kept running the whole time - it wouldn't keep going in small ftts in Orthos past about 90C though, so I had to switch tot he stress CPU option, but that kept right on chugging along. Unfortunately, not definitive on whether mine is showing accurate temps (50+C idle at 1.26 volts) but it did seem like something changed when it hit Tjunction. Maybe the Tjunction is not really 105C? CPU temp in HWmonitor was 95C with the 104C coretemp - not sure where it is getting that temp though.

i flashed back to an older bios and still getting 49/50c idle at all vcores/speeds from 1.0875/3000 to 1.456/4250. load temps (from coretemp and core in hwmonitor) vary from 52c at 1.0875v to 67c at 1.456. my cpu temp (cpu temp in hwmonitor and ite smartguardian) varies from 18c to 22c idle over the range of vcores to 24 to 38c load. for right now i am going to assume that smartguardian, bios and hwmonitor cpu temp is correct, except that they are based on an 85c tjmax cpu. so i will add 20c to them. which makes my temp range at 1.456v vcore, 4250mhz around 40c idle, around 58c load. btw, my heatsink never gets more than barely warm, i have remounted several times, getting great contact.

try to google the exact thread title "E8400 Temperature problems " u'll find alot of usefull links (I hope yorkfield will not have the same problem)

I'm convinced it's NOT a problem with the chip and instead with reporting software like Core Temp or your mobo BIOS.

You'll see here:

Temps.jpg

That CPUID Hardware Monitor (under temperatures, not cores), SpeedFan and Gigabyte's EasyTune5 Pro all report the exact same temps for my E8400 OCd to 3.6ghz on stock fan: 63*C (This is under full load, 30 minutes into Orthos).

And you'll see that Core Temp reports it at 76*C.

So at least with my GA-EP35C-DS3R with the second BIOS revision, it seems to be reporting consistent temps outside of Core Temp. I typically idle around 34*C, which sounds about reasonable as the HS is cool to the touch.

But coretemp is reporting the core temp, while the other temp is a CPU temp - and who knows where that is measured. The only on-chip temp reading is the temperature of the core, so that CPU temp is either interpolated or measured somewhere near the socket - so hard to say how accurate that is. For what it's worth though, those temps are almost exactly the same as I get on my -DS4 (albeit with 1.26 volts)

I'm convinced it's NOT a problem with the chip and instead with reporting software like Core Temp or your mobo BIOS.

You'll see here:

That CPUID Hardware Monitor (under temperatures, not cores), SpeedFan and Gigabyte's EasyTune5 Pro all report the exact same temps for my E8400 OCd to 3.6ghz on stock fan: 63*C (This is under full load, 30 minutes into Orthos).

And you'll see that Core Temp reports it at 76*C.

So at least with my GA-EP35C-DS3R with the second BIOS revision, it seems to be reporting consistent temps outside of Core Temp. I typically idle around 34*C, which sounds about reasonable as the HS is cool to the touch.

Good point. I guess I'm just gonna stick with the numbers that agree and hope I don't melt my computer.

If our numbers are the same or very similar, I'm guessing they're close enough to accurate to work with. Either way, I can live with 65*C on full load and 30-40 idle.

If those readings are correct and Core Temp is, I think all of us are screwed.

Im getting some similar problems here... I have a gigabyte GA-p35-ds3l motherboard with the original bios on it and the e8400 with a stock cooler and it starts really getting high temps from just playing crysis (windows says 60% load max while playing it) Ive scene it hit up to 78C with the standar utility that came with the motherboard, but it idles at 28-30ish which sounds about right... This is my first build so im a little confused here, i have 1 80 mm fan blowing fresh air right onto the CPU and 1 120 MM sucking air away too, so i dont think its an air flow problem. Would using some better thermal paste work better (e.g. arctic silver?) This is alos running at stock speeds. Anyone want to help a noob out?

Stock cooler is crap. Seriously buy any aftermarket and you'll lose 10-15C's easily during load.

Not sure if I already mentioned this, but after seeing my coretemps fluctuate on my last chip (core0 went from 32 up to 41, back to 36, and then to 42), I went and exchanged it for another chip. I'm thinking that last chip I had was hosed, b/c at load - at 1.36Vcore, I was only getting 47/51.

My new chip is capable of doing 4Ghz at only 1.296Vcore (compared to the 1.36+ I had to use with my old chip). My old chip idled at 24/35, while my new one is at 42/41 for idle. I'm thinking the new chip I got, with it's almost 1 month later pack date, has the far more accurate sensors. Yes, Wolfdales may have a low thermal envelope, but they run hot.

At load I was hitting a more realistic 62/61 - which has me thinking that my old chip easily could have been in the 70's or 80's, and I would had no idea. Obviously with a TRUE, no way it his 80C's, but the fact remains that my old chip's sensors were utter crap. So if you're seeing funny numbers, I'd try to exchange for a chip with a working one.

My new chip is capable of doing 4Ghz at only 1.296Vcore (compared to the 1.36+ I had to use with my old chip). My old chip idled at 24/35, while my new one is at 42/41 for idle. I'm thinking the new chip I got, with it's almost 1 month later pack date, has the far more accurate sensors. .

Whats the packdate on your good chip? My packdate is 01/09/2008 and coretemp has a bit of flucuation (not as bad you what you describe) and Core0 is always cooler than Core1... which is strange.

Im also intrested in the pack date idea, when was the old one, and what is the new? Mine is 1/11/08

My new chip is capable of doing 4Ghz at only 1.296Vcore (compared to the 1.36+ I had to use with my old chip). My old chip idled at 24/35, while my new one is at 42/41 for idle. I'm thinking the new chip I got, with it's almost 1 month later pack date, has the far more accurate sensors. Yes, Wolfdales may have a low thermal envelope, but they run hot.

At load I was hitting a more realistic 62/61 - which has me thinking that my old chip easily could have been in the 70's or 80's, and I would had no idea. Obviously with a TRUE, no way it his 80C's, but the fact remains that my old chip's sensors were utter crap. So if you're seeing funny numbers, I'd try to exchange for a chip with a working one.

Interesting that the hot chip is a better overclocker. My 8400 runs hot as well (at least it says it does) idling in the low-50s, but it overclocks to 4.0 with only 1.26 volts. I wish I had better confidence in the temperature, but I don't want to trade away 4.0 @1.26. I'd like to try for 4.5, but I'm afraid it'll overheat.

I'll check the pack date when I get off work.

Back