• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E8400 or Q8300…

Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
894
Greetings all,

I’m in the middle picking out some parts for a new build for a friend and could use a bit of advice…(otherwise why would I be posting here.)

Price Point: no more than $180; building this on not a tiny but not a huge budget for a full build.

Primary use: gaming

End user: not PC savvy…

The reason I put the last one in there is my initial thought was to get the Q8300 and OC it to about 3Ghz, problem being is on a regular basis I have to clean his system for him, (pets and 2 young boys,) so my concern here would be overheating with the OC; at one point I was actually able to rescue a yeti, (though it might have been a sasquatch,) from his case.

Based on research for the most the current winner for gaming is speed, (frequency,) over number of cores, (which is why the e8400 is in the list,) and the fact that the 8400 is a 65W CPU I figure it might run a bit cooler.

The rest of the system will likely be 4GB ram, (at least for gaming 8 would be overkill), Gigabyte p45 board, WD Black 750, and a 260GTX, (core 216).

Any and all advice is welcome
 
I have the e8400 and love it. But if I were to build today... I would be looking at the I7 platform.
 
the dual core will definitely be cooler running when overclocked. 3 GHz on a 45 nm quad shouldn't be too bad though, especially if you don't have to increase the voltage too much. I have an e8500 at 4 GHz or so, and it's plenty fast for any game I've thrown at it.
 
I have the e8400 and love it. But if I were to build today... I would be looking at the I7 platform.

I initially looked at the i7 but the price/performance point isn't there yet for this build; would be at the upper limits with just a decent board, CPU and RAM.)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top