• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E6850 "auto" vcore is 1.41???

Andross182

Gawd
Joined
Sep 20, 2005
Messages
527
When looking around through my BIOS to find out why my Realtemp readings were so high (68 C under load) I came upon a startling discovery. The Vcore for my CPU on auto was at 1.41...being that the chip runs between .85-1.5 that seemed extremely high for the stock clock speed. My CPU fan is a Thermaltake CL-P0401 110mm cooler so I know my cooling is decent.

For shits and giggles I even overclocked the CPU 200mhz to see if it would make a difference in temp but they stayed the same.

Is something wierd going on or am I just misinformed? My last OC platform was an Opteron 170...
 
Don't set it on Auto. Set your Vcore at a few notches below 1.41 and test for stability.
 
I used to have an E6850 and as I recall, under auto voltages my readings were about the same as yours. That chip seemed to like a lot of juice. To get it stable at a 3.6 overclock, I needed to set the Bios vcore to 1.4375. Anyway, I agree with the previous poster that you shouldn't leave it on autovolt, as the system almost always will over-estimate.
 
im at 3.4 ghz right now with a 1.3 vcore :) Nothing like a 12+ degree drop in temps and 400 more mhz!
 
Ummmm, did you test your stability with Prime95 for several hours under "small FFT's" to make sure your overclock is stable at that vcore?
 
primed over night and ran 10 instances of that new Intel "kill your cpu" tool. 60c load in prime and 72c load with the intel tool, both ran fine with no errors.

I do have questions about memory deviders though. My EVGA 680i board has the option for me to "unlink" the FSB and the memory. So all I did to overclock was increase my FSB from 333x9 to 380x9 to achieve my overclock. Upon bootup it still shows my memory at 800mhz. I did see the options for the memory dividers on my motherboard and read about it in the overclocking FAQ, however unless I'm missing something....since you can unlink your FSB and memory do the dividers not apply to me in this case?
 
Back
Top