E6600 woes

lol my p5b just got better than ever. i put a water block on the northbridge and a fan on the south and now 500fsb is flawless ;) oh well. guess dfi will still be good for 1066strap and hardcore bios

ooo rub it in... yeah this motherboard is completely watercooled now... I amuse myself that its currently reading 17c for my cpu and northbridge....and still, it's a flaming piece of shit :confused:

I really do think the motherboard fucked up my ram though.. I mem tested 2 days ago for 24 hours and not a single error... now its completely dead.... suspicion.

ooo rub it in... yeah this motherboard is completely watercooled now... I amuse myself that its currently reading 17c for my cpu and northbridge....and still, it's a flaming piece of shit :confused:

I really do think the motherboard fucked up my ram though.. I mem tested 2 days ago for 24 hours and not a single error... now its completely dead.... suspicion.

haha ;) yeah my ds3 killed 2 fantastic sticks of mine too. then again my new sticks are pretty decent too. not as good though

haha ;) yeah my ds3 killed 2 fantastic sticks of mine too. then again my new sticks are pretty decent too. not as good though

seriously, I'm losing my mind, this motherboard sucks so much, anything within it's vicinity/contact turns to shit as well. You planning on selling that P5b? :) I just want to test my damn hardware before I buy a DFI

hey! whaddya know? I shut down and put the stick in and now it suddenly works! When you own a DS3 what you know about hardware doesn't mean shit.

oh, com'n already, get another mobo and try everything with it... BTW, try running stock for a few days, see it's gonna be unstable just as well.. After all, if the mobo is fubared, it's gonna show up at any speed.. Then you'll have solid grounds for RMA :)

In the general spirit of rubbing it in ;) I watercooled my cpu and got it up to 3.6ghz with ease... tried going higher but my mobo, I think, it holding me back. I already had to do the cooling mod (replacing stock thermal paste on NB and SB, attached a fan to NB), which gave me 400fsb @ 1.4vcore, 1.65v mch. All boards have their own quirks I guess :)

oh, com'n already, get another mobo and try everything with it... BTW, try running stock for a few days, see it's gonna be unstable just as well.. After all, if the mobo is fubared, it's gonna show up at any speed.. Then you'll have solid grounds for RMA :)

In the general spirit of rubbing it in ;) I watercooled my cpu and got it up to 3.6ghz with ease... tried going higher but my mobo, I think, it holding me back. I already had to do the cooling mod (replacing stock thermal paste on NB and SB, attached a fan to NB), which gave me 400fsb @ 1.4vcore, 1.65v mch. All boards have their own quirks I guess :)

And I've done all of that and I can't even get 2.4Ghz fail safe settings stable! :)

don't worry, I'll be sitting at 4Ghz in 2 months, no questions.

yo, if you dont mind, could you take a pic of ctrl+f1 with all the ram subtimings? i'm kind of curious what ds3 sets for default again. been too long.

all i remember is weak ass trfc 53 by default. my asus doesn't even allow beyond 42

All those quirks you just describe happens to me all the time lol...... Maybe switching brands wont help and what you need is to change chipset..... The P965 chipset is not the most stable, meaning it can be nice then turn into a bitch later on even at the same settings..... Either be patiant with it or like I said try a different chipset......

I might as well rub it in too lol...... working on 5gs ( 4900mhz screenshot only :( )
750.JPG

yo, if you dont mind, could you take a pic of ctrl+f1 with all the ram subtimings? i'm kind of curious what ds3 sets for default again. been too long.

all i remember is weak ass trfc 53 by default. my asus doesn't even allow beyond 42

from memory on my ballistix it defaults 5-5-5-18 sometimes 21.. it varies.. I don't remember sub timings though.

All those quirks you just describe happens to me all the time lol...... Maybe switching brands wont help and what you need is to change chipset..... The P965 chipset is not the most stable, meaning it can be nice then turn into a bitch later on even at the same settings..... Either be patiant with it or like I said try a different chipset......

I might as well rub it in too lol...... working on 5gs ( 4900mhz screenshot only :( )
750.JPG

haha good lord... very nice. What batch is your CPU? 628-632? I have the cooling/hardware to dab into speeds at 4GHz+ which was my objective.... but right now I'm really more of a passenger with this mobo for the time being. Obviously, your in the extreme minority of OC's... but it's intriguing nonetheless.

750.JPG

Am I reading this right, with CPU voltage at 1.2v? Running at 4GHz...? How can you get 4GHz on 1.2v??

CPU-Z is bugged, doesn't display correct C2D vcore after some value - is it above 1.5v or something?

In other news, I was able to post and run a orthos at 3.8ghz but this cpu is like a furnace... 64c load with 1.55vcore - 12c and 0.15v over 3.6ghz for mere 225mhz overclock? Nah, not worth it - b/n stock and 3.6 it's 15c difference in load temp and 0.15vcore, and that's for 1200mhz o/c... after that I'm hitting diminishing returns. With chilled water or something I might even hit 4ghz but heck, 3.6 is plenty enough. By the time I need something faster, it'll be time to upgrade again :D

I find that between 1.5v-1.55v is the sweetspot and after that it takes alot more voltage to gain anything..... When I was running on air, I can do Orthos @ 3700mhz at 1.525v, but at 4gs I needed 1.7v...... also the gain comes in steps and not linear.......

Actual voltage on the above run was 1.6875v...... on dry ice :D

I find that between 1.5v-1.55v is the sweetspot and after that it takes alot more voltage to gain anything..... When I was running on air, I can do Orthos @ 3700mhz at 1.525v, but at 4gs I needed 1.7v...... also the gain comes in steps and not linear.......

Actual voltage on the above run was 1.6875v...... on dry ice :D

lol well that's just ridiculous... so looks to me like you're max OC was 3.7GHz @ 1.525 then. What batch is your cpu?

Its L632B172.....

I dont use Orthos to test stability, I treat it as another benchmark cos for 24/7 use, I dont need to have my computer running as fast as it can while being stable...... At stock speed, its fast enough for what I need it for and TBH I only overclock it for daily use for the hell of it..... I bought this machine just to play with it not because I need a fast 24/7 computer, running at 2.4gs or 3.4g or even 4.4g doent make a difference for me 24/7........

Im posting this BTW on an 1800+ AMD running at 1500mhz using a PC chips motherboard and 512k of dimm ( not even ddr lol ) memory....... It been my computer since thursday and I have no complaints lol.......

The day has finally arrived. My Gigabyte DS3 last night finally bit the big one... it has been a stuck pig squeeling for the past 18 days... and finally it no longer posts, it just reboots itself constantly.. over and over.. actually, it does it with no ram, video card, processor, just plug the bare board in, and it reboots itself constantly, no beeping... I've already set my refund up with newegg, hopefully they won't mind the heatsink with glue marks from the fan. Hopefully I can put this huge, 10 page thread to rest with a new board.

I'd like to thank [H] for hearing me out.

I'd like to thank Gigabyte for supplying the worst hardware experience of my life.

and finally, I'd like to thank ziddey, The Rapture, and Teh Quick for constantly supplying new insight.

*bows*

Newegg successfully processed my refund and I've humbly abliged taking my 15% restocking fee. I hope this thread serves testament to the quality of the new Rev 3.3 DS3 boards.

just ordered a DFI Infinity P965-S Dark... hopefully it won't turn out OOS.

i wouldve gone for evga :( but i have never seen that board....

I would have gone evga if overclocking was not my primary concern, but the DFI Infinity is mythical status in overclocking land... people have been waiting literally months for this board.

good luck with DFI! :) I myself hit a fsb wall on my mobo, thought about getting another one but then decided that there's no point. My cpu becomes way too hot when I go over 3600mhz. I think I'll stick to something I can run 24/7 rather than going for suicide overclocks, so my current board is quite sufficient and stable like a rock :)

Well, I just built the computer with the new DFI motherboard, I booted it up once, restarted, went into the bios and went for an overclock.

535FSB @ 3.6GHz - and I'm rock solid - I've _really_ upgraded my water cooling, so I will be going for 4GHz tomorrow.

I don't even know what I'm doing in the bios, I havent read a how-to or ever used a DFI bios...

gg gigabyte.

christ that's something real insane you got going on.

i got my dfi up and running too but it wasn't without a fight. i couldn't get 500fsb stable for the life of me until i got the right dq calibration and turned up vsb.

also, you should turn on the memory enhance features on that board. really the major selling point of that board.

Well, I just built the computer with the new DFI motherboard, I booted it up once, restarted, went into the bios and went for an overclock.

535FSB @ 3.6GHz - and I'm rock solid - I've _really_ upgraded my water cooling, so I will be going for 4GHz tomorrow.

I don't even know what I'm doing in the bios, I havent read a how-to or ever used a DFI bios...

gg gigabyte.

What's cpu vcore and temps?

gg gigabyte.

What multiplier is that? That math does not add up.

ps

my DQ6-P35 seems to be very stable. Right now my e6600 is at 3.2, 8x400. I just recieved the board so I am still working with it.

christ that's something real insane you got going on.

i got my dfi up and running too but it wasn't without a fight. i couldn't get 500fsb stable for the life of me until i got the right dq calibration and turned up vsb.

also, you should turn on the memory enhance features on that board. really the major selling point of that board.

Thats true.... It took me 5 days probably to figure out what I want this board to do and im still struggling with it..... But I never played with the normal setting cos the whole point of buying this board is to use fast/fast setting......I have no clue how high I can get it stable ( as I dont really care lol ) but for superpi 1M I can do this with the fastest setting:D

dfi540.jpg

Back