• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E6600; upgrade to e8400 or not

Joined
May 24, 2009
Messages
11
I am looking at upgrading my pc.
at the moment i have a e6600 running at 3ghz, an asus p5b (yeah i know there wasn't much choice), 4 gigs of ddr2-800 and an hd4870 1gb running at 850/1000

i mostly do photoshop/lightroom combo and some gaming (fallout 3, bioshock and far cry 2)
the games are running at 1920x1080
i think that the e6600 can be overclocked more than this, it's just that the p5b is a really basic MB.
So my question is: should i go for for an E8400/phenom 2 x3 720 and a midrange motherboard or should i keep the E6600 and buy a high-end motherboard and overclock like hell.
I'm going to buy watercooling (high-end) so temps shouldn't be that much of a problem.

If buying a high-end motherboard is a better choice, can you suggest me a good motherboard. (max 150-175 euros)
 
I mostly do photoshop/lightroom combo and some gaming (fallout 3, bioshock and far cry 2)
the games are running at 1920x1080
I would recommend a quad just on this alone...however the E8400 would be an upgrade from the E6600
 
I would recommend a quad just on this alone...however the E8400 would be an upgrade from the E6600

problem is that the budget is just not there for the quad-core, well it would be there if i'd skip the watercooling but that's something that i really want.
if you're talking about an upgrade, percentage wise how much performance increase would you see.
 
What about a used q6600 from the for sale forum?

I went from an e6600 to an e8600 and kinda wish I would have stuck with the e6600 as it was fast enough for me at the time and the jump to a faster dual core is not really that noticeable.
 
well if i skip out the watercooling for now i could buy an x58/i7 system. hard time deciding. I can always start to save up again for the watercooling
 
well if i skip out the watercooling for now i could buy an x58/i7 system. hard time deciding. I can always start to save up again for the watercooling

Doesn't sound like much of a choice to me, I'd go i7/x58 hands down... Though I'm not sure how you jumped from not being able to afford a C2Q (at $180) to being able to afford i7/x58 (at $270 + $180 + DDR3 + new PSU possibly) just by skipping on the watercooling. :p What problems were you having OC'ing on the P5B anyway? I know it's an older chipset (P965 no?) but still, most mid-range ASUS mobos are usually decent OC'ers...
 
Doesn't sound like much of a choice to me, I'd go i7/x58 hands down... Though I'm not sure how you jumped from not being able to afford a C2Q (at $180) to being able to afford i7/x58 (at $270 + $180 + DDR3 + new PSU possibly) just by skipping on the watercooling. :p What problems were you having OC'ing on the P5B anyway? I know it's an older chipset (P965 no?) but still, most mid-range ASUS mobos are usually decent OC'ers...

watercooling would cost me 350 euro, x58 price was the same as the p45 motherboard i was looking at, 720 is 220 euro's ddr3 was 70 euros, rest is going into a cooler and vid card cooler.
the p5b would just not boot past 333mhz fsb, and yeah i raised the voltages.

I have a question about the mugen 2, does it come with a 1366 retention bracket standard or do i have to buy that too
 
Absolutely no reason not to go with i7/X58 if you were gonna spend big bucks on a premium P45 mobo imo (really not worth it, 'specially with i7/X58 as an option).
 
i think i made my choice. Going for the i7/x58 combo.
What matters most to me is not even the performance, it would be an upgrade path.
socket 1366 will be here for years to come i think, so no point in investing money in old tech, when you have to pay for a new motherboard cpu etc when the next generation is released
 
I have a E6550 (2333mhz with 1333 FSB) and I was curious how it compares to the E8400. I don't overclock, and my motherboard cannot do quad cores, so I can't do that.
 
Well the E8400 runs at 3.0GHz, so it'll certainly give you more pep in a lot of apps... Take a look at the recent article [H]ard published on CPU scaling, I believe they compared several processors at stock speeds (2.4-2.6GHz range) to OC'd processors at over 3.0GHz, in a lot of games it made a noticeable difference. If your motherboard can't handle quad-cores it may be worth considering an upgrade to that as well though, depending on your needs/use, P45 boards are cheap.
 
imo an upgrade to e8400 is not worth it unless you find some deal too good to pass up
 
well if i skip out the watercooling for now i could buy an x58/i7 system. hard time deciding. I can always start to save up again for the watercooling

go this way - i7/x58 is v stable now >6months on...then save for next gfx cycle,,etc etc..
 
I would wait. I am in the same boat as you. E6600 although I do not run in 1920x1080. I fortunately only run 1680x1050.

Anyways I think if we wait a little longer we will get a better bang for our buck when we do upgrade. My friend with an E6600 just upgraded to a GTX260 and he says it has taken care of any sluggish gameplay performance.
 
Back
Top