E6600 - These temps are pretty high, huh?

jnick

2[H]4U
So I just got my new build together and the one thing I was worried about was temps.

I have the Lian-Li g70 which has a total of 6x120mm Scythe S-Flex fans @ 63CFM. For the CPU I'm using the SI-128 paired another S-Flex.

The temps below are from Intel's TAT/CoreTemp. Stock speed (2.4 @ 1.325v).

Idle: 43/44
Load: 46/47 (When I say load, I mean 3DMark06 Load.)

I'm almost positive those are pretty bad, especially for the cooling of the case, and the heatsink I'm using.

My other identical system is Idling at about 36-40 and loading at 41-43 (3DMark06 Load). Am I to guess bad HS contact or bad application of thermal compound?

Speaking of which, for thermal compound -> AS5 or Ceramique? Right now both machines are using Ceramique . . .

Cheers

I wouldn't consider those temps "bad" by any means. They're well within the safe range for your proc.

I guess you could try remounting and see what happens but you're not in any danger keeping them as is. You're temps should also drop a bit once your Arctic Silver has a chance to set in.

As for your last question, I only use AS5, which works great. I have no experience with Ceramique.

You are fine - anything on a C2D under a heavy load with a temp of 65C or less is plenty safe.
I idle at around 37-39C and under the heaviest load (Ortho using the Small FFT test) I peak out at around 62C.

Truely heavy load is using TAT's build in test. You'll see your temps are much higher then with any other stress.

I'm not worried as far as any harm to the chip. I know they can handle that. I am worried, however that since this is stock, the temperature scaling once I start to overclock the chip will be utter crap. Basically, I don't want the temps to hold back my conceptual overclock (hoping for 3.4-3.6).

Thanks for the replies!

jnick said:
I'm not worried as far as any harm to the chip. I know they can handle that. I am worried, however that since this is stock, the temperature scaling once I start to overclock the chip will be utter crap. Basically, I don't want the temps to hold back my conceptual overclock (hoping for 3.4-3.6).

Thanks for the replies!

give it 340 FSB(3.06ghz) then come back and tell us what your temps are as that should give you a fairly good indication :)

jnick said:
So I just got my new build together and the one thing I was worried about was temps.

I have the Lian-Li g70 which has a total of 6x120mm Scythe S-Flex fans @ 63CFM. For the CPU I'm using the SI-128 paired another S-Flex.

I'm almost positive those are pretty bad, especially for the cooling of the case, and the heatsink I'm using.

My other identical system is Idling at about 36-40 and loading at 41-43 (3DMark06 Load). Am I to guess bad HS contact or bad application of thermal compound?

Speaking of which, for thermal compound -> AS5 or Ceramique? Right now both machines are using Ceramique . . .

Cheers

Whats the ambient temp and vcore. While your temps aren't near the limits, they could be lower since your using a aftermark hs .
My Oced 6600 at 3ghz 1.3vcore gets 41-44c when loaded by 3dmark06. Using stock hsf.
If you OC your temps are going to increase, if not then they are fine.

jnick said:

Cheers

I'd say that's pretty high temps. I've got my e6600 overclocked to 3.4 and my idle is about 40.

Back