E6600 + p5w dh vcore issues

SavageThrash

Limp Gawd
I have my vcore set to 1.45v but i only see about 1.38-1.4v in cpu-z

Is this a common problem?

Also i am aiming to hit 3.6ghz with my zalman9500. The only thing i am unsure about is what to set my mch and ich voltages to before i begin to bump the mhz up. What should they be set to when overclocking?

Its not a "problem" it is there by design to keep spikes from the voltage regular overshoot caused by rapid changes in load current from damaging the chip. It is part of the Intel specification for the voltage regulator and .07 -.05 of Vdrop is about right.

Increase the voltage in the bios to compensate if you wish.

The MCH is your memory controller, increasing the voltage going to it may help with stability with high FSB values because it is basically another CPU and gets overclocked just like the main processor. Cooling it properly is also a key to high FSB stability.

Your ICH is the I/O controller and typically it needs no great increase in voltage if any at all as it is not primary to to the CPU-Memory subsystem.

Per Intel data sheets.
Absolute Max Vcore for C2D's and Quads is 1.55V
The MCH default voltage is 1.25V and its Absolute Max Vcore is 1.375.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1229854

You do not need to and probably should not mess with those voltages until you determine what the system will do with them at stock voltages. You generate unwanted heat and stress on the system and introduce too many variables into the OCing equation that will just confuse you. Bump the MCH voltage up to the first setting above stock available in your bios just to ensure stability just in case it is a little undervolted by the motherboard. Using standard OCing methods determine your OC, once you find out what the memory and CPU will do, perhaps then come back and see if increasing MCH voltage will buy you a few FSB. In many cases, especially if you have not reworked the heat pipes or added additional cooling (a fan) increasing the MCH voltage causes more harm than good. Or just slam in some voltage in the midrange of available voltages, manually set your memory timing values and voltage to the manufactures "performance" settings, and try 9 x 400FSB with a 2.0 (1:1) memory multiplier and see what happens. Your call.

Back