E6420 Overclock Thread

buy.com just rolled out a L649G592 to me.

I should have my dtek fuzion and mcr 220 early next week.

I got a L649G590, walls at 456, OCd to 3.2 easy, over that needed 1.5 to even post. Managed 3570 @ 1.55v. Not impressed.

I got a L649G590, walls at 460, OCd to 3.2 easy, over that needed 1.5 to even post. Managed 3570 @ 1.55v. Not impressed.

These may be pretty hit or miss, I'm at 3504Mhz 8 hour orthos stable on just 1.425v (1.41v actual)

I've made it into windows at 3.8Ghz, but it took 1.56vcore.

These may be pretty hit or miss, I'm at 3504Mhz 8 hour orthos stable on just 1.425v (1.41v actual)

I've made it into windows at 3.8Ghz, but it took 1.56vcore.

I cant even boot over 456, wall is at 456. :(

I have the same week code,
managed to get stable single 32M superpi @ 3500Mhz
but orthos only stable @ 3.2Ghz

I was able to run orthos at 3.5 for about 1/2 hour. Gotta try later for more.
I stuck my 6300 back in for now

I've always read and heard that OC'ing was a "luck of the draw" whether your chip was a "golden" OC'er or a "dud" I've also read and heard where certain batches overclock better than some other batches :confused: I've got 1 E6420 (L647G476) already and it's impressed me enough to get another E6420 until the Q3 price cuts on quad cores. I don't know if this is pressing my luck or what :confused: I'm going to pray to the Big Kahuna of Computer Gods just in case (only kidding) ;)

I haven't fully pushed mine yet, I have a L646G527, running at 400x7. I highly recommend this cpu, buy it instead of the 6600, and spend the money you would save on a better cooler.

[F8];1030980654 said:
I haven't fully pushed mine yet, I have a L646G527, running at 400x7. I highly recommend this cpu, buy it instead of the 6600, and spend the money you would save on a better cooler.
F8

what voltage did you use?

[F8];1030980654 said:

That's the truth if I've ever seen it. :D

I freakin love this chip. I'm getting 3.4ghz w/ 1.45v (I should probably even bring that down a little bit). Solid as a rock.

That's the truth if I've ever seen it. :D

I freakin love this chip. I'm getting 3.4ghz w/ 1.45v (I should probably even bring that down a little bit). Solid as a rock.

Thats not really all that great. My 6300 is rock stable at 3530 @ 1.35v, 3570 @ 1.37 and 3590 @ 1.39. My 6420 which I dont even to consider to be a good overclocker can run 3520 @ 1.525v. Hitting 3.5+ with less than 1.4v is what most people are looking for. :D

Thats not really all that great. My 6300 is rock stable at 3530 @ 1.35v, 3570 @ 1.37 and 3590 @ 1.39. My 6420 which I dont even to consider to be a good overclocker can run 3520 @ 1.525v. Hitting 3.5+ with less than 1.4v is what most people are looking for. :D

Don't let this smart 'A$$' spoil your fun. You've got a good chip dude. :rolleyes:

Well, I just started doing some serious overclocking on my e6420 and I got it to 3.6GHz on 1.4V no sweat. Thats with a 450FSB.
I have a feeling I could top out about around 4GHz at 1.5+ volts because it does 3.2GHz at stock, but I don't want to until I get the room temp cooler. I may get the commando itch again soon though.

I took a screen shot but it is worthless because it only shows a super PI of 14 sec (sweet) but my CPUz speed says 2700MHz due to the fact that I still have power management turned on :)
Also, I didn't ask my wife yet if she minds me posting a hot picture of her one the web because she is on my desktop ;)

Well, I just started doing some serious overclocking on my e6420 and I got it to 3.6GHz on 1.4V no sweat. Thats with a 450FSB.
I have a feeling I could top out about around 4GHz at 1.5+ volts because it does 3.2GHz at stock, but I don't want to until I get the room temp cooler. I may get the commando itch again soon though.

I took a screen shot but it is worthless because it only shows a super PI of 14 sec (sweet) but my CPUz speed says 2700MHz due to the fact that I still have power management turned on :)
Also, I didn't ask my wife yet if she minds me posting a hot picture of her one the web because she is on my desktop ;)

Screenshot!!!

Got E6420 L649G.
Will see how it clock with DS3 3.3
Weekend project :)

(needed to subscribe to this thread).

My E6420 arrived today, along with my Asus P5B Deluxe and Zalman 9700. I too will be seeing how far I can overclock. I'll be upgrading the NB, SB, and mosfet heatsinks (well one bank of mosfets... there are none on the other bank and I need to see how hot they get and how much room I have under/next to the Zalman first). Still waiting on my case, Shin Etsu X23 and some other parts.

I've got a question about VCore. I'm Ocing my 6420 right now 3.52GHz, so far 8 hours 20 mins Orthos Small FFT stable. I set VCore in my 680i bios at 1.55v, but CPUz is reading 1.238volts, and speedfan is reading 1.49volts. What is my chip really getting? Could there possibly be that much Vdroop? How are my temps? Should i try tightening the ram timings?

e6420 on a evga 680i sli
tuniq tower 120
ocz pc8500 1066mhz 5-5-5-15

Thanks!

3.52ghz.jpg

I don't know if all programs report voltage properly, but I'm happy to report I'm at 3.2ghz on stock voltage.

At close to stock voltage CPUz does pretty good but when you are up over 1.50 volts forget CPUz.

SpeedFan seems to report cpu voltage accurately, at least on my P5B Deluxe.

Nice overclock and your core temps look good considering the voltage. You should submit that screen shot and your details to the [H] OC database. :D

That's a pretty normal amount of variation between bios voltage to windows voltage to full load voltage. Check out my sig for my voltage numbers.

You will gain some performance if you can run your memory at CL5-5-5-18 at DDR2-1100 but it's not worth it if you lose stability. If you have to run unlinked then probably won't gain very much. Do some testing with the apps you run if you want to find out for sure.

Well I'm not really in this for competition. My machine is fast as hell for me. :p

Don't let this smart 'A$$' spoil your fun. You've got a good chip dude. :rolleyes:

Lol, thanks man. :D

[F8];1031007081 said:
I don't know if all programs report voltage properly, but I'm happy to report I'm at 3.2ghz on stock voltage.

lucky you, i need to be at 1.43

1.43 put me at 3.4 stable... I prefer 1.45 though, gets me a rock solid system at 3504Mhz.

Just got mine going yesterday and first try at overclocking it i hit 3GHZ at stock voltage. Its orthos stable ram is sitting in 1:1 for now and im happy with it.

Maxxed out at 55C with the stock cooler!

Gonna see how far i can get after the weekend dunno about this ram though.

My puter got upgraded, so I am gonna post my new OC result. :D

User Name: BigDaddy85
Stability: 11hrs 30min (No Error) Orthos - small FFTs

CPU: E6420
OC: 3,520 MHz
Stepping: 6 B2
Week: L646
Code: G527
Vcore: 1.51v

Cooling: Air
Cooler brand/model: Zalman CNPS9500 LED

Motherboard: eVGA 680i (122-CK-NF68-TR)
Bios Version: P27

RAM brand: G.Skill
RAM rated speed: PC2-6400
RAM actual speed: 800
Latency: 4-4-3-5

Validate - http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=193001

4 Fun 3.733 Ghz - http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=193253

SS of 11 hrs and 30 min stable - http://www.ritkf.com/Pics/11hr30minstable.JPG

Oh, it seems I have an E6420 OC challenger!

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030967461&postcount=413

What voltage did you need to get 3.733Ghz?

If more of you guys still have your stepping info available could you post it please.

I just got my 6420 stepping L649G592 in today but won't start setting it up till tomorrow. Only going to use stock cooling until I get some extra hardware to move my storm waterblock on it.

To those of you who are "rock solid" at 3.5 GHz, are you upping the various other voltages (nb, sb, fsb vtt)? I've only had my e6420 for a week so I'm still figuring out OC'ing on the Intel side. Before last night, the most stable I could below 1.5V Vcore was 3GHz - of course there's a reason for that. My MSI P6N SLI-FI's northbridge gets hot as hell and the Tuniq Tower doesn't exactly push any air towards it. So last night, I swapped the stock NB heatsink with the heatsink/fan cooler from my DFI Ultra-D motherboard (previous X2 system). Since it has a 7k rpm fan on it, I was stable all day at 3.2GHz.

So now that the NB situation is a little less concerning, I'd like to try for 3.5. My question is, what voltages are you guys using for NB, SB, FSB voltages? Since BIOS's vary I"m not sure what items are common. For instance on the P6N, there's something called FSB Vtt and it's adjusted by %.

Anyway, if you guys could post your settings I think that would give me a good place to start.

Got my E6430 about 2 weeks already. L646G523. I've been able to hit 400x8= 3.2Ghz on default vcore easily. The highest I've been able to push this puppy was 431x8=3.44 Ghz but that was the first week. I can't seem to hit that anymore. Now I can only push 425x8=3.40 Ghz. with vcore of 1.48v. I'm not impress with this processor cause I was hoping for at least 3.5Ghz. I'm going to RMA this processor and see if I can get lucky with another processor.

:mad: :(

What voltage did you need to get 3.733Ghz?
1.55, and it crashed within 5 min of OCCT lol... I could push more voltage, but i dont wanna to get more heat in though. :D

Oh hell, should i?

Edit: I tried to OC back to 3.733 GHz @ 1.59 volt and it crashed 1 min of OCCT.... :(

O hell I am happy with my cpu anyways. :D

My question is, what voltages are you guys using for NB, SB, FSB voltages?
No change to NB, SB, or FSB voltage on my system. I only increase my FSB to 440 and increase my cpu voltage, too. That pretty much what I did to my current computer.

i see. Well I left the sb alone and upped the nb (before reading your response) to 1.4. Right now I'm at 3.5 Ghz @ 1.52V - idle temps are about 35/36C and orthos low 60s. I'll run orthos tonight and see how long it lasts...just out of curiousity. Thanks again.

1.55, and it crashed within 5 min of OCCT lol... I could push more voltage, but i dont wanna to get more heat in though. :D

Oh hell, should i?

Edit: I tried to OC back to 3.733 GHz @ 1.59 volt and it crashed 1 min of OCCT.... :(

O hell I am happy with my cpu anyways. :D

No change to NB, SB, or FSB voltage on my system. I only increase my FSB to 440 and increase my cpu voltage, too. That pretty much what I did to my current computer.

Sounds like our processors are a lot alike, although I'm only using 1.45v to get a stable system at 438 x 8. To get into windows at 3.7 and above I'm looking at at least 1.57v. I'm getting some crucial ram in this week to replace the crap I'm using now, so I'll have to post some new results.

I've only increased vcore and ram voltages, the rest is stock. Using Asus P5b Deluxe

well my chip runs great in winxp... loaded in vista and for some reason its not liking the oc anymore.. I will play with the volts and ram speeds. What do you think is good volts for the ram in my sig. I really dont want to go higher then 2.2 or 2.25v. Just wondering....

well my chip runs great in winxp... loaded in vista and for some reason its not liking the oc anymore.. I will play with the volts and ram speeds. What do you think is good volts for the ram in my sig. I really dont want to go higher then 2.2 or 2.25v. Just wondering....

Looking at your OC, I wouldn't be surprised if you need to raise your vcore. As far as I know, I have the lowest stable voltage at 3.5Ghz anywhere on the E6420. Most people need something more like 1.45v to 1.5v around 3.4Ghz. Try running memtest with your current settings, if you have memory issues, then look more into ram, but I'm willing to bet your stability issue is with the cpu.

yeah, well as you can see in the intel thread when i was in xp you can see i was at 1.4125 volts. Right now I am testing it out at 1.425 volts with my ram at 1063 (5-5-5-18) with 2.25 volts in that.

well I got mine relatively stable at 3.5. I did a few hours of gaming and it was fine, but it's not orthos stable (small fft). Most apps don't stress the cpu out that much anyway. Anyway I'm gonna stick with 3GHz for now ... it gets kinda warm in this house.

1.425 looks to be where its at.. but when i was playing with the ram 4-4-4-12 at 850 actually runs a tad faster in terms of benchmarking with less volts (2.15v)

just for shits and giggles...

This is the fastest I can get my 6420 to run. Ofcourse it isnt orthos stable tho.

[Images removed for the sake of saving space]

I have to say, I WISH I could boot at speeds like that. I think it's my ram though, which has replacement crucial coming in hopefully tomorrow. We'll have to see! I sure would love to hit 4.0Ghz just long enough to get a screenshot of cpu-z. So far I've managed to post at 3.9, but was completely unstable, didn't even see the windows loading screen. All I can hope is that it was the ram.

Back