• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

e6300 need help with Ocing

HiCZoK

Gawd
Joined
Sep 18, 2006
Messages
860
My pc in signature.

I have e6300 1.86 c2d and 2x1gb geil 44412 800mhz.

last stable i get with this cpu is raising fsb to 1500 with 800mhz memory and everything else on auto.

with 1600fsb i get 2.86 but then it freezes sometimes when watching movies etc.


So.. How to? I was never trying any voltages or so becouse I dont know anything anout it.

Somehow I thin this CPU can go 2 times higher
 
Raise the cpu voltage to 1.325V for starters. Way under the max, so no worries.
Raise the MCH/Northbridge voltage - I am not up on Nvida chipset boards so just choose the first or second increment avaiable that is higher than the default stock setting.

See what this does for you as far as stablity. It most likley will end the freezing problem. If after a few days you are sure the machine is stable and no freezing or other issues. See about rasing the fsb 5 MHz every 3 days until problems come back. Then you will need to either stop becuase you have decided its fast enough or take further action in an attempt to "tweak" some more performance out of it.

Unless you have one of the "old" 6300's and without upgraded cooling etc. around 3.0 would be a good goal. Upgraded cooling 3.2. Old 6300 and cooling 3.4. (exceptions to every rule and these are just kinda guesstimates based on past performance. )

The low cpu multiplier (7X) of the 6300 causes the motherboard to have to produce very high FSB frequencies (400FSB - 1600cpu) to just get to 2.8. However that should be cake and a little extra voltage will almost certainly stabilize the machine. Much more above that it becomes a more of a challenge.

I ran an "old" 6300 at 475 x 7 = 3.3GHz for over 2 years and while I allways thought the CPU might be capablie of more, the motherboard would not operate reliably at over 482 FSB no matter what I did.

But what I am badly trying to say is that once I got to 3.2GHz additional gains in cpu speed did little or nothing I could see or feel in games or applications and that would be a good target to shoot for if you have a good heatsink and board cooling.
 
That motherboard was never known for being a stellar overclocker, primarily due to limited options in the BIOS.

That said, you should be able to get 2.6 to 2.8 GHz.

Read this:http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/45121/nforce_680i_sli_overclocking.pdf

That guide is an excellent place to start. You'll probably need to increase the VCore along with the FSB to achieve a stable OC.

I have an e6300 on a Gigabyte P965 board and it has been running at 3.1 GHz since I installed it.......however that board is a great little overclocker.
 
thx. My temps dont seem to be a proble. bios controller is always saying 43-49 C

I thing my goal will be 3.00 Just to have good full 3ghz :D
 
a p5ne-sli took my e6600 to 3.5ghz fairly easily. the problem with the 775 socket nvidia boards is their zealous over volting of the nb and sb when you attempt to overclock. to get to 3ghz you'll need at least 420mhz in the cpu fsb. as i recall, this bios wants you to input the quad pumped mobo fsb instead of the cpu fsb.
 
3.0 is around 1700fsb.
lower sb an nb and raise cpu voltage?
 
3.0 is around 1700fsb.
lower sb an nb and raise cpu voltage?

OK.
I haven't played with this MB in a while, so excuse me.
First............Read that damn nvidia guide I referenced, it is OC for dummies, and it fucking works.
Next: go into BIOS
Go to Jumper Free Configuration
set AI tuning to:manual
set VCore to: 1.35V
set NB to :auto
set VDimm (memory voltage): to what ever your memory is rated to run

Go to FSB and memory Config:
FSB:memory clock: unlinked
FSB : start low, say 400 (quad pumped = 1600) 400 x 7 = 2.8 GHz
set memory: unlinked and set to 800 Hz.

Go to: CPU configuration
Disable: CPU internal thermal control,C1E,speed step
go to: chipset:go to: spread spectrum:
disable CPU spread spectrum.

Now load the OS.

Software needed:
CPU-z, CPU-z hardware monitor,Orthos

Start with the FSB at 400, open Orthos and Hardware monitor.
Run Orthos to ramp up the CPU to 100% on both cores. (Orthos was designed to ramp dual cores)
watch the core temps, they should run about 60-70C or less depending on your cooling.

Now, if the cpu is stable and doesn't STOP in Orthos for a good 30 minutes, start to increase the FSB by 10-15 Hz and repeat the process.

If you don't reach your goal, increase the VCore to 1.375 or even 1.4V and carry on.
As the VCore increases so will the CPU temps.
 
thanks. Great post. Will be trying these out tomorrow.

How do You know why set VCore to 1.35V ?
ps. Memory to 44412 and 1 clock or lower options 55515 2cl ?
 
Last edited:
thanks. Great post. Will be trying these out tomorrow.

How do You know why set VCore to 1.35V ?
ps. Memory to 44412 and 1 clock or lower options 55515 2cl ?

Most boards will default a Core2 around 1.25V, the maximum VCore for the Core2 is about 1.55V, so 1.35 is a nice, safe, happy medium.
I have several Core2 cpus and a Corei7............I think to get a reasonable OC on any of them I run about 1.40 or 1.43V...........BUT you need good cooling to run that high a VCore. 1.35, not so much.

Let the memory stay at AUTO or default...........you can always tighten it up later. Don't try to overclock more than one thing at a time....... 5-5-5-15 2T would be fine to start with.
I rarely OC the memory............I've never seen a real benefit.
 
Ok I understant. I did some trying. I managed to get 2.8 with 1.35V and it seems to work. cant make 3.0 to work more than 5 minutes. Been triing with higher voltages and still no go. More than that pc wont start with those options and bios defaults.

And About Memory. When at 2.8CPU I see around 2fps benefit from going to 900mhz memory(800original) And around 2fps becouse of 44412 instead of 55515 in 3dmark first test.
I am just checking what is the resoult of the few first seconds in 3dmark which are always the same.

I get 87fps with naked 2.8 and 800 55515. and 90-91fps with above.

I think I should stop at those fsb unless You got a solution. Btw. Orthos seems to work but did not tested more than 15 minutes yet.
 
Copy your BIOS settings and post them (the stable ones at 2.8) and we'll see what we can do.

All else being equal, I'd first suggest increasing the VCore to 1.4V, and then increasing the FSB to 430 (1720) and see what you get.

You might have to increase the NB voltage a little, try taking it off auto and increasing it to 1.208 or 1.393, I think are the choices.
 
I have whole bios at default settings. Only realtek etc disabled.
all voltages on auto exept 1.35 cpu. 1600fsb. memory back on 800.

I noticed that when in unlinked mode I am using 800 mhz it mostly is an actuall something a bit lower not equal to 800.

Tried running at what You said and cant get past windows logo. After that I had quite of a problem getting into bios. It always freezes. 2.8 is perfectly stable though
 
Sorry for all the troubles.

As I said earlier, that board is not well known as a fabulous Overclocker, it may be due to the passive cooling of the NB???

You might want to read this over, it may help. I think your NB is probably getting too hot to reach the 3.0 GHz level. Read here:http://www.hardocp.com/article/2007/01/01/asus_p5ne_sli/7

Good luck.:D
 
I had the p5n-e sli and the e6300 and it was a superb overclocker! i dont know where you get off magoo and im not happy about it :mad:

my personal stable max FSB was 475. not shabby at all for its price point.

my daily settings:

fsb 1850
memory: 925mhz
cpu voltage: 1.40v
nb: 1.56v
memory voltage: 2.10v

and bam 24 hours stable of orthos. it helps overclocking if you actively cool the NB on this mobo. its gets really hot and some cooling makes the diff between rock solid and BSOD.

I also ran an e7200 at 3800mhz 24/7 and it was great.

the P5N-E SLI was my favorite mobo of all time. there were so many nuances and little things that you had to know to coax it to get it to perform at its absolute max... i was sad when i sold to pay for my i7. i hope that guy on craigslist is taking care of her :(
 
I had the p5n-e sli and the e6300 and it was a superb overclocker! i dont know where you get off magoo and im not happy about it :mad:

my personal stable max FSB was 475. not shabby at all for its price point.

my daily settings:

fsb 1850
memory: 925mhz
cpu voltage: 1.40v
nb: 1.56v
memory voltage: 2.10v

and bam 24 hours stable of orthos. it helps overclocking if you actively cool the NB on this mobo. its gets really hot and some cooling makes the diff between rock solid and BSOD.

I also ran an e7200 at 3800mhz 24/7 and it was great.

the P5N-E SLI was my favorite mobo of all time. there were so many nuances and little things that you had to know to coax it to get it to perform at its absolute max... i was sad when i sold to pay for my i7. i hope that guy on craigslist is taking care of her :(

I had/have the exact same motherboard.
I was not able to overclock it worth a shit, active cooling or not.
For comparison, I put the same CPU on this Gigabte P-965 board that I'm typing on and 3.1GHz with only a small adjustment in VCore.
I was merely quoting from experience with my board and CPU. Judging from [H]ard|OCPs experience in the article I quoted, they had the same difficulties;until they cooled the NB.
This board is old. I read the article when the board was first released, and despite active cooling I had shit for luck with it.
It will OC, just not to an extreme I think it should. It is a fine board at stock.
I'm glad you had a better experience.
 
nope. not even booynig with those high settings.

Trying 1680fsb (2.94) now. It seems stable. will see for how long. I am running 3dmark2005 twice and orthos
 
I think I am satisfied now. I am at 2.8 44412 800 1Cl.

This seems to be most stabel(orthos tested) and highest I can get.

Thanks for support:D

ps. One more thing. When orthosing :)P) I get max 69-70C, I assume thats good temp and I dont need to be worried about anything?

I envy those forums! Its one of a few places where I get anserws for all kind of questions O ask. THX people.
 
Last edited:
I think I am satisfied now. I am at 2.8 44412 800 1Cl.

This seems to be most stabel(orthos tested) and highest I can get.

Thanks for support:D

ps. One more thing. When orthosing :)P) I get max 69-70C, I assume thats good temp and I dont need to be worried about anything?

I envy those forums! Its one of a few places where I get anserws for all kind of questions O ask. THX people.

That temperature is fine.
Orthos pegs the cores at 100%, if you are stable there you will never stress the cores that hard in normal use, thus your daily temps will be much lower.

The only thing I'd suggest trying is putting a small fan on the NB and seeing if it makes a difference in OC ability.
 
I might see for the fan in some time.
Yep. orthos 30minutes 70C no problems.

meh... If it explodes it means its time to change it :D Have it for 2 years now and still kicking
 
Back
Top