E6300 Combo...

ouch, didn't realize conroe prices have gone up. When I built a system a while ago for a buddy, they were $163 at the 'egg. Now $183

I picked one up a few weeks back to replace my aging socket A 2400xp and man, this deal rocks. I have an agp 6800 gt oc and man, I can run all my games at 1920x1200 just fine when I bring the clocks up.. Couple things to note, these are refurbs (the mobo) and they wont give you much of a OC on the cpu before blanking out. But man, anybody on the fence wanting to upgrade form a old architecture, this is the deal for you. You can keep your old ram and video card while getting the speed of the new C2D chips. I'm using it as a stepping stone before I invest in some dx10 hardware.

Malignant Kid said:
I picked one up a few weeks back to replace my aging socket A 2400xp and man, this deal rocks. I have an agp 6800 gt oc and man, I can run all my games at 1920x1200 just fine when I bring the clocks up.. Couple things to note, these are refurbs (the mobo) and they wont give you much of a OC on the cpu before blanking out. But man, anybody on the fence wanting to upgrade form a old architecture, this is the deal for you. You can keep your old ram and video card while getting the speed of the new C2D chips. I'm using it as a stepping stone before I invest in some dx10 hardware.

I need to do this same thing... Are there any online specials for this mobo/cpu deal? And do you think it would be wise for me to do this with my existing p4 3.4 prescott?

I mean... it is almost twice the clock speed.... I have an x850.

I plan to get a better CPU down the road, but if the increases are so severe for just 160 dollars, i'm bound to jump all over it

I'd do it, dual core is a wet dream. Plus you'll have a CPU to use down the road when get some dx10 hardware. If you cant clock it now, a great overclocking board should be easy to pick up later. You basically get the mobo for free. And a good deal on the cpu I might add.
Btw, this should blow your old cpu out of the water... The old p4's played the mgh game, and failed.
Edit: No online specials atm, is that 850 of yours agp?

yes... agp

isn't there a board that supports agp and pci-e?

that would be an awake dream if it could overclock even a little bit

although I guess I couldn't do that with my pc3200

That ASRock board does about 300mhz FSB. Not spectacular, but it'll take most chips at least a few hundred mhz higher.

Back