Gigabyte 965P-DS3
Corsair 6400 2x1GB 4-4-4-12 ram
EVGA 7950 GX2
Seagate 320 GB 7200.10 HD
Samsung DVD RW/CD RW
Samsung 3.5” floppy
Lain li 1000v plus II
PC Power & Cooling turbo cool 510 ASL

I have had issues when I boot of no video displayed, reboot, it may be garbled screen and sometimes boots fine. When I boot up ok, the system may run long times without issue even playing Hitman Blood Money at 1600X1200 high details for several hours. Temps on the cpu and board stay around 39-45 C. I can not overclock it at all, it will hang even at 2.1 ghz. I have run the ram in an other machine to check, as well as putting an other video card (6800) to test it, I had some isssues of bootup, but not as bad. I have called Gigabyte and they will be testing the DS3 with their Gigabyte 7950gx2 to check for compatability. I am so frustrated right now, PI runs 1M 19 turns in 29 Sec, granted I have virus software running at the same time. I’m thinking of RMA the 965 DS3, but not sure if it is the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure about the DS3 but in my 965 mobo (MSI) there's an option in bios that checks to see where the primary video source is. It's in a category called PnP / PCI or something to that nature and the options were PCI (default) or PCI-Express. Of course I set it to PCI-Express but I never had issues with it on PCI. Just a suggestion, good luck.

Uh-oh, I'm waiting on my E6400 from ZZF to setup my DS3/Gigabyte 7950GX2 rig. Better not be problems!

I am running F4. I called Gigabyte and they talked me through setup to get rid of an error that referenced Mother board or Ram. Since that change, the bios beeping error stoped.

I do have my video setup set to PEG which is the PCI Express setting.

One odd thing I noticed was that CPU-Z shows under graphics interface it reads PCI EXPRESS, LINKS WIDTH x8 and Max Supported x16. I'm not sure if that is normal or not.

probably something do with it being a 7950 (SLI on one card ? )

Don't know if its normal. Maybe your card isn't plugged in all the way.

Try reseating it (with power unplugged, etc)

I've heard of people having their card run at 1x mode, until they reseated it. (maybe not all the contacts are touching properly)

It could be the source of all of your problems.

I have taken the 7950 out and resealed it a few times already. I'm not positive it is the card at all. The system has locked up loading windows a few times.

I am running the 7950GX2 without issue. I had to RMA my first one, though, it was faulty when I got it (EVGA). The Gigabyte 7950GX2 that I now have has been flawless in this board.
What are you're ram settings in the bios? If you are running it at DDR2 800 and 4-4-4-12 timings, that would most likely be your issue. I've got some G-Skill 2x1gig HZ DDR2 800 and it can't run at 4-4-4-12, even though that is what it's rated at. I have to run it at 2.0-2.1 volts, DDR2 800 and 5-5-5-15 to keep it stable. I noticed the same sort of thing with the Corsair DDR2 667 that's in my sig. Try those timings and let me know.

Shawn

How do I change my timing settings in BIOS? In CPU-Z it is showing me running 4-4-4-12

woooooooooooooot!

Thank you Verncat05, I found a place that it says hit crtl+F1 to change my latency, changed it to 5-5-5-15 and now I am running at 3.15 ghz 900mhz ram 1:1. Video is still a little off, but FINALLY I have an OC more then 2.1. :D :D :D

I am having same issues as winget has with the video and startup issues. I was going to try and get a replacement card, but im not thinking thats the prob. I will try the 105 pci-e to see if that helps. If anyone else has suggestions, im game. I have tried other PSU's but same problem, tried different combinatiosn of ram set up, removed excess componets and still had issue.

Currently using

Gigabyte DS3
e6400
2X1 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 (Specced 2.2V 4-4-3-8) running SPD right now though
EVGA 7950GX2
Raptor 10K Sata HD
Rosewill 550 PSU

are you on the most recent BIOS. I think the 1st few bios's had some issues with 7950's

GET newest BIOS!!!!!
F7 is the latest BTW, and you can update it from within Windows with a couple of clicks of your mouse...
BTW, this is the list of BIOS revisions and fixes they include:

... F7 2006/10/12 Support Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core CPU (Kentsfield)

... F6 2006/09/20 To improve CPU compatibility issue

... F5 2006/09/06 Fix Memory compatibility issues, Fix some GFX card compatibility issues

... F4 2006/08/11 Update CPU ID
Improve memory and VGA compatibility

... F3 2006/07/17 Fix during the first POST after AC resume, system will spend 3~4 seconds to perform a power-off cycle

... F2 2006/07/07 Improve CPU FSB timing

... F1 2006/06/28 First Release

In the F5 BIOS they addressed the GX2 issue ;) MOST UPDATE BIOS, I REPEAT, UPDATE BIOS (sorry for screaming :p ) not only will your graphics issue go away, but you'll be able to OC even further.

mzs_biteme said:
GET newest BIOS!!!!!
F7 is the latest BTW, and you can update it from within Windows with a couple of clicks of your mouse...
BTW, this is the list of BIOS revisions and fixes they include:

... F7 2006/10/12 Support Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core CPU (Kentsfield)

... F6 2006/09/20 To improve CPU compatibility issue

... F5 2006/09/06 Fix Memory compatibility issues, Fix some GFX card compatibility issues

... F4 2006/08/11 Update CPU ID
Improve memory and VGA compatibility

... F3 2006/07/17 Fix during the first POST after AC resume, system will spend 3~4 seconds to perform a power-off cycle

... F2 2006/07/07 Improve CPU FSB timing

... F1 2006/06/28 First Release

Yeah thats what I was talking about. F7 also rocks for improved overclocking stability.

Thanks for all the responses. I had already flashed to F7 when i first got the board so the BIOS is up to date. Ive heard of incompatibility issues with this board and video card but my friend has the exact same vid card, ram, and Mobo with no issues. Maybe i got a fluke board

Back