• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E5300 or E6500

Guido02

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
224
Hello again,

Just a quick question. I am putting a pc together for work and am wodering which processor between the E5300 and the E6500 I should chose if I plan to overclock it. I know that the 5300 has a 13 multiplier while the 6500 has an 11 multiplier, but does the FSB speed have anything to do with things.

Thanks for the help, I think I will be building tomorrow.
 
Do you already have the CPUs on hand?

FSB does not matter.

EDIT: In terms of overclock, they're roughly the same: The E5300 is easier to OC due to its higher multi but only reaches 3.6-3.8GHz whereas the E6500 supposedly can hit 4Ghz but is harder to OC due to its 11 multi.
 
IMHO,the E5300 has more overclocking potential than E6500.

While that may be the case with the lower-clocked CPUs, a high multiplier is no guarantee that a particular CPU is overclockable. Some CPUs with high multipliers are already at or near their limits at stock speeds.
 
I have both chips on hand so I can configure it either way. So to summarize the E5300 is easier to OC because of the multiplier, but is capped at 3.6~3.8 GHZ, while the E6500 is more difficult to OC but has a higher potential around 4 GHZ.

Maybe I should look at this differently. I'm building two budget PC's, one for personal and one for use at work. The work PC's use will be nonstop for 12 hrs a day. Now most that work will be Office, Quickbooks, Internet Apps, and Email, but it will also be used for some video rendering on occasion, and some light photo editing.

So should I go with the E6500 for work and not OC because it will be getting so much use?

My personal PC will be used for many of the same things but not at the frequency of the work PC. I will also be playing games at home (not spider solitaire type games but Modern Warfare 2, Bad Company 2 type games).
 
E6500 for work and no OC.

The E5300 should definitely be OC'd as high as you can as BFBC2 loves the CPU.
 
Alright,

You speak and it shall be done. I will use the E6500 at work with no OCing and I will use the E5300 at home and I will OC it.

I should have mentioned that both boards are economy boards. I know my board allows overclocking as I have already done it, but I'm not even sure about the work pc. I will look into this further, but I think I have some ram issues as windows xp and LinuxMint are only recognizing 3GB of ram while windows 7 see all 4 gigs.... wierd and a little worrisome
 
Back
Top