E4500 vs. E6750 (Intel support for virtualization worth $45?)

elmer92413

n00b
I'm very interested in using Microsoft's VirtualPC for some basic use (testing software, surfing web, ect). So aside from the increase in clock and cache is Intel's IVT worth the extra $45 or should the E4500 be able to run a virtual PC pretty decently?
Any tips on running a virtual pc would be appreciated too! :)

I would just get the e6750 if 45 $ isn't a lot to you..

But short and simple... my answer is...

"YES!"

I think you could get away with a e6550 .. I think it's a lot cheaper.. I'm too lazy to look right now.. go me!

IVT=No

Extra speed and cache=Yes

For 45$ it's well worth it even if you were overclocking (not sure in your case) imo.

If you're going to be using any virtualization software which makes use of the virtualization extensions in the CPU, then it's worth the extra money. It can make a huge difference in performance.

I just snagged an AM2 4000+ for the price and some deals I got along with it. While I don't plan on using virtualization software with that processor right now, there is a good chance I will in the future, therefore it was very important that I have it. There was no way to get an Intel setup that was even close to the same price or even remotely fit into my budget that had virtualization.

I make use of VMs on two of my three current systems using VMWare. One of them is the rig in my sig and the other is a PIII system. Luckily, for what I use the PIII system for, it's not too bad for what it is. However, it would still probably benefit from the virtualization extensions. I have a feeling the AM2 will eventually be migrated over for the duties that the PIII is currently running for.

As suggested, you could go with a lower clocked E6xxx series of processor which would be better for the money if you're worried about the price difference between the E4xxx and E6xxx series. Also, if you plan on overclocking, even mildly a lower clocked E6xxx series would probably be a better overall buy. The E6400 in my sig is running 3.4Ghz stable on watercooling. Just about every Intel E6xxx series processor out now would probably have no trouble hitting 3Ghz+.

I guess it all depends on your wants, needs and budget.

Back