E3 2010

as far as the Natal stuff, it looks like pure gimmick but it has since day 1. i'm sure it'll sell and make plenty of money, after all look at how well the Wii is doing. of course MS and Sony have put out similar devices; they've been building off of the innovations that Nintendo has created since day one. i'm certainly no nintendo fanboy, but they've been the only ones to consistently evolve the consoles with new ideas and technologies from the beginning. their hardware isn't as fast, and their systems aren't as strong, but from the nintendo, to the gameboy, to the SNES controllers (shoulder pads), N64 (analog stick), hell even the failed virtual boy have all been innovations, however gimmicky they seem. they still impact the market and lead to better product design by their competition.

the PSX and the xbox were both high powered copies of the N64, and their followup consoles have merely been upgrades to their systems. i think MS has done a good job with XBL! but hardware side there hasn't been anything that either company did first, iirc.

They don't have to innovate. I don't care if it's the same thing but faster. They just have to be better. Apple wasn't the first company to make a tablet. But they did it better. They weren't the first to make a cell phone, but they did it better. Blizzard wasn't the first to make an MMO but they took what was out there and polished it up. Nothing innovative there at all but still highly successful.
All microsoft has to do is make it better than nintendo and they win. And that's just fine with me.

Xbox 360 Slim motherboard, cooled by Coolermaster stock Intel 775 heatsink lol

new360calloutsbenheck.jpg

really? you guys expect MS to give you a new model because the old one had to be repaired? yes, i understand that they had a crazy number of them crap out; but they repair them for free for up to three years. that's a long ass time as far as free warranties go, and while yes, they need it, they make good on it. I've sent back a console for the E74, it took 8 days to get back to me and it's been fine since.

if you bought an iPhone but had it crap out on you would you expect a new model 5 years later after Apple replaced/fixed it for free? no, then why think that MS should give you a new console? just because other people got free ones?

as far as the Natal stuff, it looks like pure gimmick but it has since day 1. i'm sure it'll sell and make plenty of money, after all look at how well the Wii is doing. of course MS and Sony have put out similar devices; they've been building off of the innovations that Nintendo has created since day one. i'm certainly no nintendo fanboy, but they've been the only ones to consistently evolve the consoles with new ideas and technologies from the beginning. their hardware isn't as fast, and their systems aren't as strong, but from the nintendo, to the gameboy, to the SNES controllers (shoulder pads), N64 (analog stick), hell even the failed virtual boy have all been innovations, however gimmicky they seem. they still impact the market and lead to better product design by their competition.

the PSX and the xbox were both high powered copies of the N64, and their followup consoles have merely been upgrades to their systems. i think MS has done a good job with XBL! but hardware side there hasn't been anything that either company did first, iirc.

The first part of this is 100% correct. Anyone who thinks that MS somehow OWES them a free new 360 needs a reality check. The fact that they went back and extended the warranty to 3 years is pretty impressive. Many companies probably wouldn't even go that far.

The second part is a bunch of nonsense though. If you sit down and think about it, everyone always takes the ideas of others and tries to improve upon them. The "copy-cat" argument could be made for basically every single piece of technology to have ever come out. Also, in that regard, I applaud MS for at least trying to make their motion controls innovative. Sony's Move is 100% a blatent copy of the Wii.

They don't have to innovate. I don't care if it's the same thing but faster. They just have to be better. Apple wasn't the first company to make a tablet. But they did it better. They weren't the first to make a cell phone, but they did it better. Blizzard wasn't the first to make an MMO but they took what was out there and polished it up. Nothing innovative there at all but still highly successful.
All microsoft has to do is make it better than nintendo and they win. And that's just fine with me.

QFT

Execution >>> "who did it first"

All Microsoft needs to do is create the software to support it. IMO the bigger hurdle isn't a technical one, it is a cultural and perceptual one. The XBox, despite avatars and Kinect and Family Game Night and whatever, still has a perception of being the "hardcore" console of Gears and Halo and MW2. It is an image that they started with the original XBox and one that they've desperately tried to shake since the Wii came out.

Yeah, they need to convince your average shopper at Walmart or Best Buy that for "fun, casual" gaming, that they should get an XBox over a Wii. The problem is that the Wii is so ingrained as that machine at this point. Microsoft has a real uphill battle trying to change peoples' perceptions in that area.

i'm not saying Sony or 360 are copycat slackers or anything like that, but i don't see how Natal or Wave are taking the next step past Nintendo's lead. they're making the same games as the wii, by all accounts in this thread. and the rumors are that it will cost about as much as a Wii. now i guess it'd be nice to be able to play those things on a 360 because i already have one, but if they're 150, why not just buy a Wii instead and have access to a whole new library of games?

I have to disagree. I know a great many of us, myself included, own wii's and do have HDTV's.

As do we, 2 HDTV's actually. Nintendo seems to think that most people don't own them though, which I don't buy (personally). What I'm saying is, according to Nintendo, the majority of Wii owners are casual gamers, first time console owners, who don't have HDTV's or broadband. That's why Nintendo has passed me by; instead of putting in features that some people can use and others can't (ie above 480p graphics and a better online gameplay interface), they have crippled those of us who do have access to those things. Reason #2 why I will not purchase whatever Nintendo comes up with next, because they seem keen on staying 1-2 product cycles behind rather than doing anything cutting edge or in the minority of "mainstream".

It'd be no different than nVidia or ATi maxing out their graphics cards at 1280x900 because they think people don't own monitors that do higher res's than that. Doesn't make sense, does it? Nope. That's what pisses me off about Nintendo.

really? you guys expect MS to give you a new model because the old one had to be repaired?

No, I expect if Microsoft is going to give out ANY free consoles, that they start with people who have had to have theirs repaired several times instead of a bunch of journalists and rich people who probably own free consoles already (as a part of being a journalist). Save face with your customers, that's the point.

Bill Gates could fly on a jet straight to my house and hand deliver one with his autograph. Doesn't change the fact that I will think twice before buying a launch (or near launch) Microsoft console again without the longest extended warranty I can get on it. Granted, the Xbox I bought a year after launch never gave me any problems, but maybe that's because the R&D department actually did their job on that one. In the least, we're out of warranty, they gave us 3 years, I get it. If they don't want to cover anything else, that's fine...I'll just vote with my wallet. I'm not buying another new 360 though, I can guarantee you that. If I can't ghetto mod the hell out of the one I own and fix it, I will buy a used one. MS can suck it with their new consoles that are cooling designed like they should have been in the first place.

Last edited:
I like what I saw. Some of the games/demos were a little similar to what Nintendo has done, but if nothing else everything looks a hell of a lot more impressive when not condemned to ancient hardware.
Still, I didn't see anything that really impressed me that much.
It reminds me of the new iPhone a bit. I want one, but I already knew (or expected) about 90% of what was shown beforehand.

still waiting to see anything from a kinect game that would be considered free roaming. I really want to see how they handle any type of gameplay where you need to control moving a character around instead of flailing to respond to on-rails action.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

still waiting to see anything from a kinect game that would be considered free roaming. I really want to see how they handle any type of gameplay where you need to control moving a character around instead of flailing to respond to on-rails action.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

nice likely.
emulating the left analog stick with just using your body while performing other on screen actions is going to be extremely awkward and clunky.

I saw kinectimals and instantly thought my daughter would love it. She plays that on her DS all the time, or rather nintendogs, but this will be more interactive. And there are many of us who own wii consoles but just want better graphics and better games. We are going to buy this. The market is bigger than you may think.

The newer 360's don't have the RRoD problem that plague the earlier models. I can't remember which code name these ones have but they came out last year.

My 6 year old loves his cat "Mr. Kitty, so I thought of him immediately just having a ball with the kinectanimals as well.

horrible conference, even the audience didn't give a shit about 90% of what was shown

Sadly I have to agree, Other than gears and the singleplayer Reach footage everything else was carbon copy Wii software with better graphics. Besides the kinectimals, which I thought would be awesome for my little one.

Interesting they didn't give Natal price at all. I think it will be much closer to the leaked $150 range rather than $50 price tag.

They're having there "Project Natal" show tomorrow and I have a feeling it's gonna be around that $150 price tag that was rumored because they didn't mention the price in the conference and if it wasn't going to be expensive you would think they would of spoke of it especially with a fall release date. So I think that's a bad sign.

Joystiq covered this earlier - preorders for Kinect put it at $149.99 for the camera and $59.99 for individual titles (going off Gamestop preorders). http://www.gamestop.com/gs/natal/

Despite not being too interested, if it was $99 including Kinectimals, I would probably sell our Wii and buy one (because I'm sure my daughter would rather have Kinectimals than Wii). $149 for the unit + $59 for the game? No thanks. I know the tech is pretty advanced but at that MSRP - IMHO you are not going to find a lot of people other than diehard fans buying them.

Kinectimals is the 1 thing about Kinect that I like. Otherwise - it's a hard sell IMHO to charge $59 for those types of games when games like Gears 3, CoD:BO, and MGS:Rizing cost the same price and have a lot more bang for the buck. I figured they would put a realistic/appealing price tag of no more than $99 for the unit and $29 or $39 per game. Then again, this is the same company that charges people for online gaming despite hosting 0 games themselves, as well as ridiculous per-GB costs for their HDs and other peripherals, so...:rolleyes:

Guess they finally found a way to keep people from complaining about ridiculous prices on the WiFi adapters by bundling them in with the console like they should have done from the beginning. I just also read on Joystiq that they are (effective immediately) ceasing production on 360 'fat'. :(

I'm pretty excited about EA Active... I have a PS3
The 360 boxing demo with Kinetic looked pretty cool... wonder what the difference with the PS3 version will be using 2 different controllers

What i like about the xbox is that it frees my hands, so i could theoretically grab weights for squads and stuff like that

Sigh, something is failing in the Zelda presentation :(

*ugh, next year (so no X-Mas release).

man the wii/zelda looks so dated. It brings nothing new to the table.

I've never played a Zelda I didn't enjoy, but that was a disappointing presentation. I can forgive the control issues, I'm sure it works better in your living room. But it doesn't look like they've changed the formula at all besides inserting Wii Sports Resort into the game.

Edit: I did like the graphics style. Looks very Link to the Past-ish.

ugh... this Nintendo presentation is so cliche.

Fils-Aime is such an annoying talking head.

holy crap Nintendos conference is full of ghey, lol!

wtf i want to see smoething cool.

Wow so the Goldeneye video was real. The polling/control group questioning - I really thought that was a joke, lmao.

lol, now we have Mickey Mouse splooging on everything. Didn't that Shaun White Skateboarding game Ubisoft showed yesterday have basically the same play mechanic?

i can see the kids appeal but holy shit this is crap so far

Epic Mickey...and Epic Yarn. I can't tell if Nintendo is parodying themselves.

Threw up in my mouth watching that Kirby demo with the cutesy music. New GoldenEye looks horrible compared to what was out 5 years ago. Hell the game looks like it could have been released as a sequel on the N64. Epic Mickey and the new Zelda game seem to be the real stars so far to me.

Metroid looks cool.

This is the first I've heard of the Nintendo 3DS too. Take pictures in 3D? Sounds good, I'll need to see that in action for sure.

Last edited:
Threw up in my mouth watching that Kirby demo with the cutesy music. New GoldenEye looks horrible compared to what was out 5 years ago. Hell the game looks like it could have been released as a sequel on the N64. Epic Mickey and the new Zelda game seem to be the real stars so far to me.
Yeah, Kirby was disappointing. Been waiting for a new Kirby game for a long time, and this is what we get?

Threw up in my mouth watching that Kirby demo with the cutesy music.

Have you ever played a Kirby game? You know, the little cute pink squishy guy that had a game that involved drawing rainbows? How butch do you expect it to be?

Have you ever played a Kirby game? You know, the little cute pink squishy guy that had a game that involved drawing rainbows? How butch do you expect it to be?
The Kirby games were "cutesy" but they always had really awesome parts too. I hope that the game is fun, because that's what's most important, but do you honestly see the new one having anything like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32TMLDPwokk

This 3DS is going to be hard to beat at this E3 as far as innovation goes.

Whether or not you like everything they showed, Nintendo really delivered with their conference.

Back