• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E2200 Vs. E5200

Format _C:

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 12, 2001
Messages
4,188
I was thinking about swapping the CPUS from my Main Computer to my HTPC (As the HTPC just sits there most of the time on doing nothing except recording SDTV and since I can't read the text (Well I could but it hurts my eyes and give me a headache) So I only use my main computer to edit the video of the commercials and previews (I Know I am bad & Cheap :D I record movies off of the premium channels) So I was wondering would I get any performance increase by Swapping my E2200 for the E5200? I was going to do it sometime anyway but I want to know if its worth the time and effort (I hate the 775 Package processor so I will avoid swapping unless I will get a performance increase

oh and since the Core i5 & i7 Camr out does that mean the LGA 775 Platform is officially dead?


Here are the current specs of my Main Computer
GA-G31M-S2L
E2200
2 X 1GB Dual Channel memory (PNY)
3D Fuzion 7600GS PCI-Express card
SATA Seagate 160GB 7200.9
Lite-On SOHR-5238S
Lite-On ihas SATA DVD-RW Drive (No litescribe)
Antec EarthWatts EA-380

HTPC Specs
GA-73PVM-S2H
E5200
2 X 1GB Dual Channel Memory
Using onboard HDMI to a Vizio VW32L LCD TV
SATA Seagate 500GB 7200.10
Lite-On SOHR-5238S
NEC ND-3550A
Antec EarthWatts EA--430
 
I was thinking about swapping the CPUS from my Main Computer to my HTPC (As the HTPC just sits there most of the time on doing nothing except recording SDTV and since I can't read the text (Well I could but it hurts my eyes and give me a headache) So I only use my main computer to edit the video of the commercials and previews (I Know I am bad & Cheap :D I record movies off of the premium channels) So I was wondering would I get any performance increase by Swapping my E2200 for the E5200? I was going to do it sometime anyway but I want to know if its worth the time and effort (I hate the 775 Package processor so I will avoid swapping unless I will get a performance increase
Any CPU-intensive applications will see an improvement from switching to the E5200. I think it would be worth it.
oh and since the Core i5 & i7 Camr out does that mean the LGA 775 Platform is officially dead?
No. LGA775 is still around as a low-end/mid-range platform.
 
Agreed, the 300mhz frequency advantage and the 1mb cache should speed things up. Might even want to consider overclocking the E5200 for even more performance, it is a good overclocker.
 
No. LGA775 is still around as a low-end/mid-range platform.

Yeah, there are still several beast quad cores for the LGA775. But there are no new 'high end' CPU for that socket anymore... (2 new dual core Celerons did a bit of a shakeup, though).
 
Back
Top