e2180@stock make SMP deadlines?

Wharf_Rat

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 15, 2000
Messages
1,151
Title says it all...

Tigerdirect has these for 49.99 after MIR and I plan on popping this in the Dell that I rip the q6600 out of. I figure until I get around to pad-modding (must read up on) and if it will even work on this chip/board combo, I would run the thing at stock.

Is it worth it?
 
I did it. I think I have all I need now for 3 working boxes here at home.

q6600, e6600, and a e2180. I will probably stop running F@H on my p4 3.0ghz.

Only thing I have to figure out is the pad mod and how to get a bootable linux image with SMP client on to a thumb drive or some other flash device. No harddrive with the 2180 box...
 
I did it. I think I have all I need now for 3 working boxes here at home.

q6600, e6600, and a e2180. I will probably stop running F@H on my p4 3.0ghz.

Only thing I have to figure out is the pad mod and how to get a bootable linux image with SMP client on to a thumb drive or some other flash device. No harddrive with the 2180 box...

Here ya go :)

http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/usb.html

 
I did it. I think I have all I need now for 3 working boxes here at home.

q6600, e6600, and a e2180. I will probably stop running F@H on my p4 3.0ghz.

Only thing I have to figure out is the pad mod and how to get a bootable linux image with SMP client on to a thumb drive or some other flash device. No harddrive with the 2180 box...

http://reilly.homeip.net/folding/

Diskless Folding - Can be run from CD or USB Drive
 
-snip-
q6600, e6600, and a e2180. -snip-

That's almost identical to my setup I have here at home.
Q6600, E6600 and a E4500 all running Windows SMP.

I just added the E4500 and it wasn't OCed for the first few days, so my numbers haven't levels off yet. I'm expecting 7000 ppd once they do.
Q6600 - 3050 ppd
E6600 - 2150 ppd
E4500 - 1800 ppd

 
Sweet deal, looks like it's valid in Canada as well. So tempting...

 
I just sprung for one, I've been needing to upgrade a couple Pentium D rigs to something that will net over 1000PPD and cut down on power usage.





 
I'm really trying to decide if this is worth it or if I should just wait to swap up out the D820 I have at 3.3ghz with a quad but that is several months down the road.
 
What the heck...I just went ahead and bought one. After selling my 820 it won't be that much.
 
My E2180 from Tiger Direct came today and was DOA :( sent that back for a return, i'll wait for another good deal on these since i have 2 boxen that need these for upgrades.




 
Sorry to hear that man :( I just got mine fired up, looks good so far. No OC or anything yet...have been fighting with this usb folding :mad:

I was right about the realtek NIC...i guess the kernel doesnt have drivers for it. I popped in an intel NIC that I have and I was able to get a lease and I think download the client.

At the current moment, it is sitting on Setting up instance 1...is this normal?
 
Man, I cant find anything about this Realtek NIC, i think it is a 8169...10/100/1000

Maybe I should try a different distros liveCD and see if it utilizes the NIC properly. I maybe have to wait for notfred to use a newer kernel.

The intel NIC I am using has another home, it wants to go home!
 
Well, I have given up on the onboard NIC for now.

However, after a quick BIOS update, I am running at 3Ghz at stock voltage w/ the stock cooler from my e6600...

I am going to let her run and go take a nap, come back later and see how it is doing.

What kind of PPD can i expect from this chip @ 3Ghz?
 
What kind of PPD can i expect from this chip @ 3Ghz?

Anything based on the C2D core should pull in around 300 PpD per Ghz.
Max is ~350 PpDpG, min is ~200 PpDpG, but not many slow protiens at the moment so just over 300 PpDpG is normal.
So 3.00 Ghz x 2 cores x 300 = ~1800 PpD.
You may well do a little more/less depending on which protein you crunch.

Luck .............. :D
 
Man, I cant find anything about this Realtek NIC, i think it is a 8169...10/100/1000

Maybe I should try a different distros liveCD and see if it utilizes the NIC properly. I maybe have to wait for notfred to use a newer kernel.

The intel NIC I am using has another home, it wants to go home!

I had a mother of a time with my E2160 rig and it's onboard NIC. I gave up and put a cheep NIC in and it worky. I the fold CD and some other distros do not like some of the 10/100/1000 onboards.

 
Killer[MoB];1032107460 said:
So 3.00 Ghz x 2 cores x 300 = ~1800 PpD.

My 2160 running at 2.9Ghz puts out 1400 PPD running headless.
 
My 2160 running at 2.9Ghz puts out 1400 PPD running headless.

I was mainly just correcting his math. From all the posts I have noticed, the E2xxx CPUs run right inline with your numbers. Somewhere around 230 to 250 PPDpGhz. When you move up to the E4xxx CPUs, it then hits the magic 300 PPDpGHz. My E4500 @ 2.926 (266 x 11) makes 1823 PPD on a P2653. That's 311 PPDpGHz.
 
Killer[MoB];1032107532 said:
I was mainly just correcting his math. From all the posts I have noticed, the E2xxx CPUs run right inline with your numbers. Somewhere around 230 to 250 PPDpGhz. When you move up to the E4xxx CPUs, it then hits the magic 300 PPDpGHz. My E4500 @ 2.926 (266 x 11) makes 1823 PPD on a P2653. That's 311 PPDpGHz.

My E4500 @ 3.0Ghz puts out 2100 PPD. U running windows on yours? Mine is running headless right now.

 
Just curious... Do anyone know if it is possible to have a E2160 box running Linux with SMP client and a VM to run Endian Firewall to serve the network ?

If that's possible, I found a reason to get rid of my P3-1000 firewall box and buy a combo of E2160 + Asus P5N-MX + 1 GB Crucial RAM (Motherboard isn't dual-channel) and Antec NKS4480 which include a Antec Earthwatts 380W. All this for only 240$ shipped (free shipping promo) at NCIX...

 
I don't think there is virtualization on the E2x00 series. An E6300 would be a better bet.



 
It's possible, just not possible to run a 64 bits OS on a 32 bits host without VM support and Endian isn't 64 bits so it's not a problem. However, it would be more efficient to just have linux act as both file server and firewall/router. I admit I'm a real noob when it come to configure a server for sharing with IP tables manually :(

 
Anyway, it's very possible that I would have the permission from my boss to swap my E2160 with a E8400 - E8500 from a production box so I can benefit from better performances. The one who will use that box will just use it for word/email/internet anyway so he won't notice any difference.

Now, I'm torn between a evga nforce E-7050 and Asus P5N-MX (same chipset, Asus 2$ cheaper initially but evga have the 15$ MIR. Another question is reliability...). Decision, decision....

 
Finally decided to buy the combo. With free shipping, it's a no brainer and I would secure more PPD at home (I cannot trust to get a constant production from work beside my own computer due to the boxes movement, especially at this time of the year where my dept must empty the spending account and get rid of current inventory).

 
Thanks for the info all. I guess I will abandon hope on the onboard, even though it is dissappointing.

The box has run good so far @ 3.0Ghz. All in all it is a pretty cheap combo, but the intel gigabit NIC skews the numbers a bit, lol.

Once I get the Dell Quad I ordered, I dunno which way I am going swap my hardware. I dont think my e6600 will OC as well in the cheapy gigabyte board, due to the memory divider options, so the 2180 might stay there. I shouldve done more homework before pulling the trigger.
 
Back
Top