• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

e2140 maximum temperature?

lost eden

Gawd
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
546
Just installed a Xigmatech HDT-S2183 with Arctic Silver 5 on my Abit IP35-E, after cleaning the heat spreader with Akasa TIM-Clean. The paste hasn't had any time to cure yet, but initial temperatures at stock 1.6GHz are;

idle: 35c/34c
load (Orthos): 49c/48c
load (Core Damage): 52c/51c

I found the spec page for the e2140 at Intel's website which states that the Thermal Specification is 61.4c. Does this mean that if I let the temperature rise above 61.4c the chip will throttle or take damage? I've been out of the overclocking scene since socket A, so excuse my lack of understanding of the terminology. I only ask because 61.4c seems a bit low compared to the 80-90c that I was used to working with with Applebred/Thoroughbred/Barton cores.
 
I've got my e2160 at 3.0, and under 95% load for a few days its been idling at low 30's, fully loaded at 45/46.

Not that this answered your question, just to provide some juxtaposition between temps and ghz.
 
Mine idles in the mid/high 30's & loads at ~54 at 2GHz. What suprises me is how quickly the temperature drops when I stop the load - it drops 10c in less than a second.
 
hmmm that is pretty darn quick. What are you using to monitor your temps?

I'm running speedfan, latest release.
 
found the spec page for the e2140 at Intel's website which states that the Thermal Specification is 61.4c. Does this mean that if I let the temperature rise above 61.4c the chip will throttle or take damage?

No. It does not and while I dont want to go over the details of this again for the 1000th time, ignore that number it has nothing to do with what you will read from coretemp, realtemp or any other sofware that reads the internal Digital Temp Sensor.

Your temps seem very high for stock speed and that cooler. Please double/triple check there is no interference with the heatsink and if it uses the pop pins redo them with a very hard push in an X pattern - dont go around in a circle. If you can slip somthing under the board in the heatsink area when you do it it will help. I strongly suspect one had come loose or is not fully seated.
 
I just removed the heatsink, removed the processor from the socket, cleaned both with Akasa TIM-Clean, re-socketed the CPU, re-applied AS5 & then remounted the heatsink. I've only been running small FFTs in Orthos for 5 minutes & I'm still seeing 54c load @ 2GHz.

Maybe I just got unlucky with a bad bit of silicon?
 
Back
Top