E-510 Olympus

KodiakStar

/'s by 0
Any thoughts or opinions from those who own the E-510?

Considering buying one in the next month or so... Thanks =-)

i dont own one, but i really considered it when i was looking for my first SLR. i ended up getting a d40 cause it was much cheaper. though, some may say the 510 doesnt produce as good quality photos, i think it is worth it for all of its features. if you have the means, definitely buy the e-510 with the two lens kit. you cant go wrong

How is the d40? Does it have IS?

Looking into getting my first DSLR, and have an Olympus SP-500 UZ that I got as a gift.. its good, but not exactly what i wanted, more towards the P/S style

the d40 is great. it doesnt have IS, you must buy lenses marked "VR" and those typically cost a lot, except for a few. the d40 doesnt have dust reduction, which i wish i had just in case.

the downside with the d40 is that not all nikon lenses can autofocus on the d40. I didnt think it was a big deal before i bought the camera, but now i have a 50mm 1.8d lens for portraits that doesnt autofocus on the d40, though i dont mind manually doing it since it is a fixed lens. plus it will make me a better photographer. i just have to wait a little bit longer till i outgrow the d40 and upgrade to a nicer Nikon SLR.

Ive had mine for a little while now and have no major complaints except for the lack of lenses and their prices (compared to canon/others). Over all it’s a great camera, love the built in IS and nothing beats the live view + 10x for still macro’s. But, keep in mind that the live view is not like you see with p&s. There is a delay when using it between shutter release and button push, and auto focus adds more time to it. Its doable but sometimes not practical.
The amount of control and options will keep me busy learning for awhile but thankfully its not overwhelming. My first few days were just auto mode and the shots were better then my p&s. I really don’t see myself “out growing” this camera anytime soon.

I bought the 2lens kit and would recommend it if anything for the extra glass. I keep the 40-150 on mine 99% of the time. Just need to save and pick up a good reach macro and Ill be set for awhile. Would I buy it now having spent time with it? Yes, but the price of 4/3rd glass still hurts.

As for IQ, its all up to the person holding the camera.
Here is a good place to see some end-user shots, most list what if any touch-ups have been done. (makes me sad compared to my shots, but practice makes perfect…sometimes)
500(same as 510, no IS or the grip hump)

Just picked one up tonight from BB (after price match)
2 lens kit. Very nice camera. After holding and playing with the d40, d40x, d80, and a couple cannons, I went with the e-510 because it just felt right. Not to mention my previous was an Oly so don't have to buy new memory cards.

It is a giant leap forward from the P/S but the 10 or so pictures i've taken before putting the battery on the charger make me feel like I can't go back now...

Congrats! Made up your mind, huh?

Obviously I've no experiece with Olympus but I do know they are higher margin items than other brands (i.e. the dealer makes more money selling similar parts). Keep Sigma in mind for your upgrades. Good stuff.

Congrats! I think you’ll be happy with it. If I may make a suggestion or two, take a semi-long exposure with the lens cap on and noise reduction off or low and look for any stuck pixels (or hot, cant remember the right term. But one that is anything but white.) Like this:
stuckpixel.jpg

And if you find any, run the pixel mapping so you don’t bugger any pictures. (Wish I had known to do this when I got mine.) Any star field (white) will be taken care of with the noise reduction. Also, sometimes when using the IS or noise reduction above low, adding a +1 to the sharpness helps clean the pic up. But every camera is different so if needed, search some of the in-depth camera reviews to see what others use.
And buy yourself the fast charger. ;)

I did, got the 2 lens kit, and price matched at BB, compared to CC, so saved 100$.

Have taken around 400 pictures so far with it, nothing really worth quality. From my research I saw about the noise reduction and the pixel stuff. Have done some basic setup but need to do more on it. No pixel problems so far.

And, for now, no more new lenses. Wife still didn't understand the need for a camera like this... but "if it makes me happy" haha.

Most of my pictures are of just random crap around the house and not really worth posting.
However. There are a few of my dog.. haha
011908180cx6.png

Most of my pictures are of just random crap around the house and not really worth posting.
However. There are a few of my dog.. haha
011908180cx6.png

Pets are the standard, "got new equipment, need to take a picture of something..." picture ;)

Not really worthy of the 2008 picture thread, but playing with a quickly made light box, very fun.

Next time I need to make a bigger box, been too cold to go outside and play..

012008128is1.png

012008192ln5.png

012008148fc3.png

Yea my challenge is using the kit lens, and not a macro. Few months before I will get one.
Must say I am in love with this camera. My Olympus SP500uz was a nice camera, (a gift) but still felt just like a "toy" camera.

We ran some errands and like a total nerd I brought it with me. Too cold to take my hands out of my pockets but I did notice another guy carrying around what looked to be a Cannon 30d who kept trying to look over to see what I was carrying :p

the d40 is great. it doesnt have IS, you must buy lenses marked "VR" and those typically cost a lot, except for a few
Most DSLR bodies don't have VR, it's usually in the lens. The new Sony bodies have it, but no Nikons do, not even the $5,000 D3.

Yeah, most of my first shots were dog and backyard safari. Heck most of the current ones still are, to cold for much else.

Need to build myself a light box. Candle shots are fun though:

candlelight2.jpg

Need to build myself a light box. Candle shots are fun though:

Funny you mentioned it, took some candle shots tonight too, somewhat different but..
Working a bit with b/w, saw an "Assignment" on one of the 4-3'rds forums and was playing around some.
012108102zq7.png

012108090pz8.png

012108081gm3.png

Light was hitting the bamboo plant just right, and those two came out nice I think.

Like the second one, its got a Zen thing going for it. These hand held or tripod? Which lens?

All hand held, I don't have a tripod as of yet. I forget which lens but will look at exif when I get home.
---
Used the 40-150mm Lens
Code:
[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/20"
F Number = F4
Exposure Program = Manual
ISO Speed Ratings = 100
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2008-01-21 16:28:25
Date Time Digitized = 2008-01-21 16:28:25
Components Configuration = YCbcr
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Max Aperture Value = F4
Metering Mode = Spot
Light Source = Tungsten (incandescent light)
Flash = Flash did not fire, auto mode
Focal Length = 40mm
Maker Note = 8568 Byte
User Comment =                                                                                                                      
Flashpix Version = Version 1.0
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 2736
Exif Image Height = 3648
File Source = DSC

Back