Dynamic vsync

vividshock

Weaksauce
When will this be a standard option for amd drivers? The maker of radeon pro did get hired by amd so I thought it would've been right away that this option would be added. Not that I have a problem using radeon pro its just that I'm puzzled why it hasn't (vsync looks gorgeous smoothness wise and I game using a tv and have never tried using a higher refresh rate monitor).

Yes, if you don't have a G-Sync or FreeSync monitor. Adaptive sink is pretty awesome if you can keep the frame rates up above your refresh rate, then using adaptive is virtually the same as FreeSync. That is my experience in Doom at 3440x1440 with a 1070.

Yes, if you don't have a G-Sync or FreeSync monitor. Adaptive sink is pretty awesome if you can keep the frame rates up above your refresh rate, then using adaptive is virtually the same as FreeSync. That is my experience in Doom at 3440x1440 with a 1070.

Does it have near zero input lag like freesync and gsync though?

Does it have near zero input lag like freesync and gsync though?
Yes, no lag as in mouse. I can't stand Vsync, the mouse lag for some reason I am very sensitive to even if at the monitor refresh rate in Doom the lag is terrible. Adaptive sync is like with no Vsync there, to me the same a FreeSync.

And this has been an Nvidia feature for years, right? What's the hold up at AMD?
They have a frame limiter which works close but there is some frame rate variation (not much) if you can maintain frame rate faster than your monitor refresh rate it will be near FreeSync smoothness. The problem with both if you go below the refresh rate of your monitor. Adaptive sink will turn off Vsync and you will get screen tearing but no mouse lag and AMD frame limiter never had Vsync anyways. Still in Doom adaptive sync is ultra smooth at 60fps and yet Vsync at 60fps has mouse lag (not sure why that is happening since adaptive sync should be the same as Vsync at 60pfs 60hz but it is not by a long shot).

Frame rate limiter still has tearing. So not a viable solution for me.

I'm guessing adaptive sync on nvidia might not have a frame buffer, which basically eliminates input lag at the refresh rate. That's a completely uneducated guess though, 90% of the posters on this forum would know better than I.

Your guess is as good as mine. Now FreeSync works great if you are within the frame rate band, my monitor frame rate band of 40hz-60hz :grumpy:. Once it goes below 40hz you definitely know it - from silky smooth to a tearing jerky mess. I have not tried to override that band yet, maybe I will do that tonight, expand to like 30hz to 60hz something more usable.

frame rate limiter doesn't work on all games though.
It does on all mine and that is well over 100 games, some ancient and some new. With the frame limiter I rarely use vsync at all. In skyrim before HDT physics I would cap at 75fps on a 60Hz monitor. It was smooth as silk, cant tell you why. With the HDT physics I have to run 60fps max or stuff just bounces and flails about.

ive run into a few were it does not work like forza apex and SF5. seems anything that will not work with a FPS overlay wont work with the FPS limit. anything DX12 that ive tried does not work.

I'm SO glad I bought a GSync monitor and don't have to deal with this crap anymore. I realize that's not an option for everyone but just IMO.

I'm SO glad I bought a GSync monitor and don't have to deal with this crap anymore. I realize that's not an option for everyone but just IMO.

Only downside to gsync/freesync is no ability to strobe/scan the image, so there will always be motion blur from sample and hold. Maybe one day they can do both but that would take a pretty serious feat of engineering.

Back