DWA-552 PCI network card woes, suggestions?

Magice

Limp Gawd
I recently started renting a place with wireless internet included and picked myself up a DWA-552. It was on for a good price and looked pretty badass.

Anyway, this network card is AWFUL. I run Windows 7 x64 and have installed all the latest drivers from scratch and it won't even see the router where all the other laptops and computers get full bars. If I moved the computer outside I get 1 bar, but not even enough to connect.

I have resorted to use my ddwrt router as a repeater, but it's still sluggish.. and horrible range.

I still have a few days to return the card to the retailer and I was wondering if there were any better suggestions on a solid card that will give me decent range. The router is a DIR-665 and my repeater is just a G router.

Should I just scrap the wireless idea and turn my router on client mode and run 35ft of ethernet wire to my pc? I don't want to have to but I do alot of streaming and this wireless deal has been a nightmare.

for streaming movies and such I stick to wired...

maybe I'd consider wireless, but only if it was 5Ghz... in dense areas (like where I live) there is just too much interference or other APs to mess with 2.4Ghz

Yeh I really want to it's just a major pita to run the wire has I can't staple or anything as I'm renting.. and it runs past a staircase and through the kitchen etc.

I''ve always done wired and wireless is such a nightmare compared to it.

Back