• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DVI to HDMI

Mike2007x86

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
127
I own a single GTX260 core 216 video card
-I recently picked up a Vizio 37" 720p HDTV TV on sale

I want to connect this up properly so I can stream iTunes and Amazon movies from my pc to my new HDTV.

I already connected a 12ft HDMI cable to a DVI to HDMI adapter on my GTX 260, but for some reason it doesn't play audio. I still have to stream this thru the pc speakers.

Audio isn't coming out of the tv as I had originally planned.

Here is what I have:
E-VGA 680i SLI A1 Motherboard (Onboard Sound)
E-VGA 260GTX Video Card
Samsung 226BW 22" Monitor

1x 12 ft HDMI Cable
1x 12 ft SP/DIF Audio Cable

I thought connecting HDMI would stream both audio and video.

Please help!

What port color is SP/DIF on a 680i SLI A1?
 
You have to physically connect the sound on the board to input on the card to get audio pass through.
 
On a card WITH an HDMI output it would.
To the best of my knowledge, DVI does not pass sound through, so using a DVI to HDMI converter would still only transmit video.
 
On a card WITH an HDMI output it would.
To the best of my knowledge, DVI does not pass sound through, so using a DVI to HDMI converter would still only transmit video.

Canes is correct. DVI does not pass sound, only HDMI. You would need to connect sound output on computer to Audio in on TV.
 
Last edited:
With an NVIDIA card you need to use a S/PDIF jumper cable to go from the motherboard to the video card. I just did this a few weeks ago with a friends GTX260.

Audio works great from the DVI port then through the DVI-HDMI adapter, then over an HDMI cable to his receiver.

Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
With an NVIDIA card you need to use a S/PDIF jumper cable to go from the motherboard to the video card. I just did this a few weeks ago with a friends GTX260.

Audio works great from the DVI port then through the DVI-HDMI adapter, then over an HDMI cable to his receiver.

Posted via [H] Mobile Device

x2. audio works fine over dvi, just need to use that cable to connect to an audio source
 
On a card WITH an HDMI output it would.
To the best of my knowledge, DVI does not pass sound through, so using a DVI to HDMI converter would still only transmit video.

Canes is correct. DVI does not pass sound, only HDMI. You would need to connect sound output on computer to Audio in on TV.

you are both wrong 0.0, DVI can carry audio and I even use a DVI->HDMI adapter to get my audio to my receiver :D

Unlike HDMI, DVI usually carries no audio data in its TMDS channel. However, as DVI is, for the most part, compatible with HDMI (see Compatibility with DVI), it is just as possible to support including audio data by incorporating the audio in the TMDS signal. Because DVI displays typically have no sound capabilities, a DVI to HDMI adapter/cable can then be used to connect the device to an HDMI display. For instance, this feature allows PCs to send audiovisual data to a high definition television. It is increasingly found on modern computer graphics cards (e.g. cards by Nvidia[1] and ATI[2]) and certain motherboards with integrated graphics.
 
In my defense I DID say to the best of my knowledge. I never said I was infallible.
You learn something new everyday....
 
Or just use an ATI card that supports it natively. :D
I'm surprised this hasn't been said....

'cause nVidia cards with the audio input support it natively too :p You just have to connect to the sound in your PC first. Not the same as ATI with a built in sound processor, but they do still support it with no modifications..
Also, as has been said, sound will pass fine through a DVI->HDMI adapter, but some cards will only do the audio out on one of the DVI ports.
OP, pull up your motherboard diagram (Or look in the manual) for the audio header to be outlined (S/PDIF) for you.
 
'cause nVidia cards with the audio input support it natively too :p You just have to connect to the sound in your PC first. Not the same as ATI with a built in sound processor, but they do still support it with no modifications..
Also, as has been said, sound will pass fine through a DVI->HDMI adapter, but some cards will only do the audio out on one of the DVI ports.
OP, pull up your motherboard diagram (Or look in the manual) for the audio header to be outlined (S/PDIF) for you.

Not really native as Nvidia cards won't pass 7.1 LPCM over HDMI. (except the IGP solutions) S/PDIF doesn't have the bandwidth.
 
Not really native as Nvidia cards won't pass 7.1 LPCM over HDMI. (except the IGP solutions) S/PDIF doesn't have the bandwidth.

The card by default offers audio passthrough. It's native that they support audio over HDMI. Whether or not it supports all formats is a totally different issue than whether the ability to do some form of it exists or not.
 
Instead of worrying about passing sound through my DVI to HDMI to my 46", I just went out and bought a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and hooked it directly to my sound card. They cost like 6 bux and is much less hassle. DVI-HDMI for video and my elite pro and 46" hooked up via 3.5mm.
 
Instead of worrying about passing sound through my DVI to HDMI to my 46", I just went out and bought a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and hooked it directly to my sound card. They cost like 6 bux and is much less hassle. DVI-HDMI for video and my elite pro and 46" hooked up via 3.5mm.

My setup was a bit different:

I took an old pair of earbuds, and spliced the 3.5mm jack into the Red/White RCA connectors.

Works perfectly for my screen!
 
Back
Top